Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Meat Loaf

Options
Did a smoked meatloaf for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  Family loved it and it did not last very long. So I did 3 this time.  Thought I took a picture of them when they were done but It did not show up on my phone.  Anyways, they were still just a good as before and one of the three got devoured.  Going to slice up the other two and vac seal them for quick meals for another time.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    They look gorgeous!!!  Makes me want some!  I wish my wife liked meatloaf better -- I'd cook it more often.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Meatloaf on the egg is special. I made it last night myself. Well done!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Nice!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2017
    Options
    great meal try a bacon wrap out of the pan  indirect to 150f internal
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    Did a smoked meatloaf for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  Family loved it and it did not last very long. So I did 3 this time.  Thought I took a picture of them when they were done but It did not show up on my phone.  Anyways, they were still just a good as before and one of the three got devoured.  Going to slice up the other two and vac seal them for quick meals for another time.  
    Dave, tell me how you cooked it, time and temp. Also, do you have a special recipe. They look really good.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    ronw9471 said:
    Dave, tell me how you cooked it, time and temp. Also, do you have a special recipe. They look really good.
     X2 ^^
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I did my second one tonight (nailed the first one) this wasn't quite as good but still better than the oven. No pics my pc crashed so I'm on the wife's iPad and it sux!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I love smoked meatloaf. Made a 3lb loaf on Sunday and only had two pieces for leftovers. I made another 3lb loaf on Tuesday and finished it today. 

Meatloaf has probably been the biggest surprise off the egg for me so far. Wasn't a big fan of it before the egg came along.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Don't know Dave's recipe but they do look really good.  Egg'd meatloaf is a favorite of ours as well.  

I start with 2 lbs chuck and 1 pound Italian sausage.  3 eggs, worchestershire, salt, pepper, garlic, sautéed onions and green peppers, some Quaker Oats and if to loose, Panko bread crumbs till the right consistency.  Also throw in 1.5 -2 tablespoons of dizzy pig Red Eye express.

Smoke with a few small pieces of pecan, indirect at 300 until 170.  Last 20-30 minutes brush on your BBQ sauce of choice thinned down a bit with some apple juice.

They never last long!  
    XL BGE
  • ronw9471
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Don't know Dave's recipe but they do look really good.  Egg'd meatloaf is a favorite of ours as well.  

I start with 2 lbs chuck and 1 pound Italian sausage.  3 eggs, worchestershire, salt, pepper, garlic, sautéed onions and green peppers, some Quaker Oats and if to loose, Panko bread crumbs till the right consistency.  Also throw in 1.5 -2 tablespoons of dizzy pig Red Eye express.

Smoke with a few small pieces of pecan, indirect at 300 until 170.  Last 20-30 minutes brush on your BBQ sauce of choice thinned down a bit with some apple juice.

They never last long!  
    That recipe sounds good too. I like the Italian sausage in it. Thanks.
    Parrish, FL

XL Big Green Egg
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    We love meatloaf on the Egg!  Better still is the meatloaf sandwich at 2 or 3 in the morning...
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Smoked meatloaf may be one of my favorite things to cook on the Egg.  I don't use a pan, though.  I cook indirect, and just form a large roll about 3 lbs or so.  Mix in seasoning, peppers, onions and top with ketchup and let it roll.   I love the flavor.  Might have to do one this weekend now.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Forgot to mention, no pan for me either.  I line a loaf pan with Saran Wrap, then form the loaf in the pan.  Take to the Egg, flip it upside down on the grate and remove the pan and wrap.  Nice even shaped meatloaf.  
    XL BGE
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    No pan here, either. Have a large plastic container that holds a three pound loaf perfectly. I put it in that at least a few hours before hand so it sets in the right shape well. Also makes it easier to store the leftovers in. 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    We do free range meatloaf on the Egg. I shape it into a loaf and cook it on a flat 1/4 size baking sheet. I want as much as possible exposed to the smoky goodness. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    We form and cook it on a plank. Nice taste and nice presentation.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
  • ErnieMcCracken
    Options
    Meatloaf on the Egg is awesome;

Need to do one soon.  Leftovers make a great sandwich.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options

Are those chopped carrots and celery? That looks tasty. Love meatloaf sandwiches!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • ErnieMcCracken
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

Are those chopped carrots and celery? That looks tasty. Love meatloaf sandwiches!
    They are.  I sautee chopped carrots, celery and onion with a chopped garlic clove and add it in.  Tons of flavor.
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options

Holy Sh*t that looks amazing!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    Did our first meatloaf on the egg over the holiday…….it will not be our last!!!
    Never thought about it until we saw the ideas on this site.  Highly recommend!
  • SirSquatch
    SirSquatch Posts: 109
    Options
    Made my first meatloaf on the Egg last night actually. Need to work on the flavor a bit, but it turned out pretty damn good for just throwing it together on a whim. 

Northern VA - LBGE
  • ronw9471
    Options
    I intend to make one today or tomorrow, depending on what time the power wash guy gets our lanai and pool enclosure cleaned. Going to add Italian sausage to the ground sirloin, along with other Italian seasonings to make an Italian meat loaf.
    Parrish, FL

XL Big Green Egg
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    Carrots in meatloaf is very disturbing.