Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: ideal reheating temperature using a sous vide unit :OT

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
I make a favorite meal of which the meat is flank steak cooked on the rare side and then sliced thin. I always make enough so there is a full meal left over. Reheating has always been a problem as the meat is best rare and if over cooked it becomes tough and to me tasteless. Last night I bagged the meat and even bagged left over mashed potatoes as well and popped them in for a 2 hour soak at 123º. The results were sort of okay - while the meat lost some of the pink it was still tasty and tender but too cool. Anybody know the ideal temperature for reheating but not overcooking beef?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    I should have added that in years past before sous vide I would just snack on this cold over the kitchen sink for days until gone rather than to ruin it by reheating. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited July 2017

Ron, a common practice with sous vide meal prepping is a shock, then sear method.  In short, post sous vide water-bath, submerge in ice water to rapidly cool the food to below the danger zone before moving to the fridge.  Then, sear your protein as if raw (even though its fully cooked) to your liking.

In your case, I suspect this method would be worth a try.  In lieu of trying to reheat the steak in a too-cool water bath, perhaps try to sear the meat to rare as if cooking from raw.  If you're concerned about drying it out, maybe sear with butter in cast-iron. 

That's just my 0.02.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    quick dip in heated au jus works for me. never been a fan of reheated beef any other way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    johnnyp said:

Ron, a common practice with sous vide meal prepping is a shock, then sear method.  In short, post sous vide water-bath, submerge in ice water to rapidly cool the food to below the danger zone before moving to the fridge.  Then, sear your protein as if raw (even though its fully cooked) to your liking.

In your case, I suspect this method would be worth a try.  In lieu of trying to reheat the steak in a too-cool water bath, perhaps try to sear the meat to rare as if cooking from raw.  If you're concerned about drying it out, maybe sear with butter in cast-iron. 

That's just my 0.02.

That's a great idea.  I'd add I would probably leave the pieces whole that you are going to shock.  That will take some planning.  On how many pieces you are going to eat at the moment and slice thin.  And shock and fridge the pieces you will reheat.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• RRP
    Thanks guys, but I don't think the suggestions will work for me with this dish, nor how I cut and serve it. Today I just went ahead and ate what I still had left cold right over the kitchen sink! Next time I'll try reheating at 128º for only 1 hour. BTW this is still quite moist from the red wine, mushroom and onion etc sauce even after reheating. @fishlessman - I'm with you I HATE the taste of warmed over beef, except for this dish and ONLY for this beef dish!