Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burning my frigging pizza

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    erikjs71 said:
    I've been cooking pizza on a pizza stone 10 years.. in the oven on the bottom shelf at 550..  8 minutes is perfect.

What gives????

2nd day on the egg and 2 crap pizzas.
    Since you have a pizza you have making for 10 years, I would suggest you stay with the recipe/style.  Cook it in the egg the same way as your oven, making some adjustments for the differences of an egg vs an oven.  Heat the egg to 550º and give the ceramics plenty of time to reach equilibrium.  Based on the picture you posted and description of your past cooks you should adjust your egg setup by moving the pizza stone up about 3".  That should give you a nice cook in about the 8 minutes you have been using.  At 550º with about 8 minutes of cook time the trick will be to adjust the stone height to get the top done to your liking.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    A few days ago, there was a post in which someone talked about the distance between the platesetter and pizza stone being a huge factor in not burning the bottom of your pie. I wondered whether this has been my issue, as my pies never turn out nicely - they tend to burn on the bottom. The poster recommended about two inches between the two, with any greater distance allowing too much high heat to get under the pizza stone. 

I will be trying this for my next pizza cook. 
    I disagree.  I believe that most of the time that crusts are burnt is because they are cooked too long.  Why? Because the cook judges the cook by looking at the top of the pizza.  If the cooking heat balance is not right (as in the top not getting enough heat) by the time the top is done, the bottom will be burnt.  Most common solution is to move the stone higher in the egg to get more radiant heat coming off the dome.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    This always worked for me. PS legs down, about 3.5-4" spacers topped with a BGE stone. Offers protection from the burning lump and also raises the pie high enough to cook the top.

As for the OP's comment... "Brick ovens are at 800˚-900˚ and the pizza is in there for around 60 seconds, then lifted into the dome for another 10 seconds to cook the top." ... that is true, but the egg is not and never can be, a wood fired oven. They simply are different animals, even if both can be heated to 900-1000°.

If you can get your egg to do this...
    Related image
    then you're on to something. But you can't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    A few days ago, there was a post in which someone talked about the distance between the platesetter and pizza stone being a huge factor in not burning the bottom of your pie. I wondered whether this has been my issue, as my pies never turn out nicely - they tend to burn on the bottom. The poster recommended about two inches between the two, with any greater distance allowing too much high heat to get under the pizza stone. 

I disagree.  I believe that most of the time that crusts are burnt is because they are cooked too long.  Why? Because the cook judges the cook by looking at the top of the pizza.  If the cooking heat balance is not right (as in the top not getting enough heat) by the time the top is done, the bottom will be burnt.  Most common solution is to move the stone higher in the egg to get more radiant heat coming off the dome.  
    It can be both.  Too much gap (e.g. stone on a spider then pizza stone 6" higher) and too much heat can wrap around to hit the bottom of the pizza stone when you're cooking above 500.  I've done this and pizza was well above the gasket.
  • erikjs71
    erikjs71 Posts: 69

For some reason, a lot of people put their plate setter legs down which is confusing because then there's little to no barrier between the heat blocking element and the stone. 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    No Pizza expert here but I have made my share of pizzas on the egg.  I use my platesetter, legs down.  Put the stock grate in and then place my AR on the stock grate with the pizza stone on the top of the AR to get the stone as high up in the dome as I can.  Let it all preheat for a good hour to hour and half at 550 or so before putting cooking the first pizza.  After about 2-3 minutes I then rotate the pizza from front to back as the back of my egg always seems to run hot. After another 2-3 minutes, they are done.  

I also found that using 00 flour and thin crusts make a big difference in the finished product.
    XL BGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    erikjs71 said:

For some reason, a lot of people put their plate setter legs down which is confusing because then there's little to no barrier between the heat blocking element and the stone. 
    With pizza you want the hot air to come up around the pizza easier, that's the reason for legs down.  Now I too burned my first two pies till I added an air gap between the PS and the stone like others here have shown.  I also don't go much over 500 and it helps to rotate the pie.  I also like using parchment paper.  Higher in the dome helps also, I use a homemade grate to set my XL pizza stone on.

This reminds me, I haven't done pizza on the egg in a long time.  Maybe this weekend and maybe a brisket as well. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SubVet585
    SubVet585 Posts: 14
    Did (2) pizzas last weekend and they came out great.
    I preheat XLBGE to 600 deg.F.  Placesetter feet down, grill on top, pizza stone on top of that.  Used cornmeal on pizza peel and slid it onto the stone nicely.  After 5-7 minutes done.  Better than the better pizza shop product.
    Can't wait to do it again.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    erikjs71 said:
    TO ALL!!  Thanks for all the comments and help!!

I think I need to

A. I need to calibrate my thermometer.

B. Get a different stone, since the one I'm using is 10 years old, and about 1/2" thick.

C.Never use Publix dough again.  I always make my own that makes a very thin dough with 00 flour.  I just picked up some dough because I wanted to cook TONIGHT, and not wait 3 days for my dough to be ready.

Just frustrating after spending the money I did, and totally slaughtering only my 2nd meal.. 
    Just add  - D. Try Again-  and you'll improve. It takes a few Pizza cooks to know you can nail it most every time. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SubVet585 said:
    Did (2) pizzas last weekend and they came out great.
    I preheat XLBGE to 600 deg.F.  Placesetter feet down, grill on top, pizza stone on top of that.  Used cornmeal on pizza peel and slid it onto the stone nicely.  After 5-7 minutes done.  Better than the better pizza shop product.
    Can't wait to do it again.
    Welcome to the forum @SubVet585
  • Nestegg
    Nestegg Posts: 2
    I'm new to the egg but make pizza's in a wood oven all the time. Sounds like the stone is getting way too hot. Try creating a gap between the platesetter and the stone. Since the egg heats from under the stone it's probably hotter than you think.  You always need to preheat the stone in order to get a good crust. In the wood oven the floor is 600-700 degrees and you only cook the pizza for 2-3 minutes so I guess your stone is hotter. If you make your own dough try using 00 flour.  It holds up much better to  high heat than AP flour. 
  • Hang in there with pizza, I have had my Egg for 4 years and still tweaking my approach. I use Trader Joe's dough balls (no Publix in these parts) most of the time. I put fire bricks on the edge of the top ring, then regular grate which is then at gasket level, clay plant feet (from Lowes) on their sides on the grate, and then pizza stone. I run at 600-625° dome temperature BUT I put the stone on 2 - 3 minutes before I put on the pizza so it is warm but not hot. Then I put on the pizza, rotating every 3 minutes until I decide it is "done".

You mentioned the pizza was sticking to the stone. Do you put a round of parchment paper between the stone and your pizza? I have found that makes it easier to remove from the stone.

Hope this helps, this forum has answered any question I have had with great ideas.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    This always worked for me. PS legs down, about 3.5-4" spacers topped with a BGE stone. Offers protection from the burning lump and also raises the pie high enough to cook the top.

That's the same configuration I use. I bought the clay feet from Home Depot garden department.

Plate setter with legs down, spacers, then BGE stone, preheat stone for 45 minutes @ 550, use home made dough with 00 flour, coarse cornmeal on stone, cook for 9 minutes.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    If you use your platesetter in the legs down position be careful of letting the temp getting away from you. When you open the dome all the heat can fry your original gasket, don't ask how I know :)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • geoff_bge
    geoff_bge Posts: 2
    600 degrees ??? Then I realised you're talking Fahrenheit. Good thread though. I've just got my Egg and ordered a pizza stone, so this is all good stuff. I'm going to try it this weekend ... UK weather permitting.
  • erikjs71
    Ok.. so just an update.. I've been doing pizzas pretty good lately.. But my stone cracked.  Not for any other reason than it was about 10+ years old.  So, I think I got my money's worth.  

Anyway.. I bought a BGE Large Stone, and man, this thing is about 3 times thicker than the stone I'd been using.. That explains a lot..

Also, I've been letting the temp get up to about 400º before putting the plate setter and stone on.  Otherwise I think they get too hot.  So I put the plate setter on LEGS DOWN, Grid, and then Stone.  I might try putting the stone right on the platesetter and skip the grid altogether..  Either way, I put a liberal amount of cornmeal on the stone before putting the pie on.  I think it acts as a barrier, and keeps it from burning quicker.. but be careful.. I've actually put too much on before and the top crust and top of pizza were done, but the bottom was still white.. so been using little cornmeal.

Been doing pizzas at 650º with no problems..  I've also noticed that by the time I throw the 2nd and 3rd pizza in, the cook times are shorter, and the bottom gets browner quicker.. so might need to let it sit at 650-700 for 20 minutes or so before putting it on.
  • erikjs71
    edited July 2017
    Super thin crust!!  Nice little charred spots..
  • For the record: I always set the plate setter legs down, making for a "brick oven" set up. The stone is set on spacers (air space between the setter and stone) and everything get preheated.
    I have taken it a step farther by getting the stone higher in the dome, first with fire bricks on edge, but now with a small plate setter atop the large. And still with spacers.
    The high in the dome REALLY works well.
  • jtcBoynton
    erikjs71 said:
    Ok.. so just an update.. I've been doing pizzas pretty good lately.. But my stone cracked.  Not for any other reason than it was about 10+ years old.  So, I think I got my money's worth.  

Anyway.. I bought a BGE Large Stone, and man, this thing is about 3 times thicker than the stone I'd been using.. That explains a lot..

Also, I've been letting the temp get up to about 400º before putting the plate setter and stone on.  Otherwise I think they get too hot.  So I put the plate setter on LEGS DOWN, Grid, and then Stone.  I might try putting the stone right on the platesetter and skip the grid altogether..  Either way, I put a liberal amount of cornmeal on the stone before putting the pie on.  I think it acts as a barrier, and keeps it from burning quicker.. but be careful.. I've actually put too much on before and the top crust and top of pizza were done, but the bottom was still white.. so been using little cornmeal.

Been doing pizzas at 650º with no problems..  I've also noticed that by the time I throw the 2nd and 3rd pizza in, the cook times are shorter, and the bottom gets browner quicker.. so might need to let it sit at 650-700 for 20 minutes or so before putting it on.
    The BGE stone is a quality product.  You will need to let it warm up much longer than your old stone.  It will take a good 45-60 minutes to reach a steady state.

If you want to cook multiple pies with consistency you should get more space between the plate setter and the stone. Let the stone completely warm up before cooking. The stone should be 2-3" above the felt line.  Most of the pies that burn on the bottom would be better cooked if the stone was placed higher in the egg.

Don't put cornmeal on the stone - it doesn't help anything and just burns. Use it only between the raw dough and the peel as a lubricant to help the dough slide off the peel (semolina is much better than cornmeal).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    My set up is plate setter legs down, then use the 3 small green feet that came with your egg to space the BGE stone above the plate setter. I usually cook my pies between 800 and 1000 degrees for about 4 or 5 minutes each. I think the barrier the feet create between the plate setter and pizza stone is key.
  • NEKEgger
    NEKEgger Posts: 22
    I was always told that the plate setter legs down with a really hot fire would result in the gasket wearing out faster.  Is there any truth to this?
  • jtcBoynton
    NEKEgger said:
    I was always told that the plate setter legs down with a really hot fire would result in the gasket wearing out faster.  Is there any truth to this?
    For some gaskets, yes.  Have a replacement Rutland gasket ready. Its a one time fix and then you will not need to worry about it.  See @RRP for getting a replacement to have ready.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• jtcBoynton
    JohnB said:
    My set up is plate setter legs down, then use the 3 small green feet that came with your egg to space the BGE stone above the plate setter. I usually cook my pies between 800 and 1000 degrees for about 4 or 5 minutes each. I think the barrier the feet create between the plate setter and pizza stone is key.

The newer eggs do not come with green feet.  If you have a newer egg just use any sturdy fire proof item to raise the pizza stone up into the dome.

The old green feet looked like this:

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    NEKEgger said:
    My first pizza cook totally fried my gaskets. I have a free replacement but never bothered to put it on. That was probably over 5 years ago and I use my egg about 3-4 days a week. If I put it on I'll probably just glue it to the bottom to keep the egg from accidentally slamming shut if the handle ever slips out of my hand.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Looks solid, nice pie.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    erikjs71 said:
    I think I'm on to something here.  
    Best pizza I've made yet.  
    Was using Rockwood Charcoal that I just bought.
    Forgot to get a shot of the bottom of the crust, but it was golden brown.

Used semolina flour on the peel.  Cooked 6-7 minutes at 650º - rotated the pizza about halfway through.
    Looks great.
    Still think a little larger air space between the platesetter and pizza stone will give you better consistency and raise you slightly higher in the dome for more radiant heat. This will help cook your toppings a little more even.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    The issue I find is that for up to 3 pizzas the platesetter-grill-stone on top works fine. Beyond that amount of time, the stone gets too hot and starts to burn the base. I've just ordered some fire bricks and am going to try it with the stone raised higher, because I'm cooking for a party next weekend. 
  • erikjs71
    TheToast said:
    The issue I find is that for up to 3 pizzas the platesetter-grill-stone on top works fine. Beyond that amount of time, the stone gets too hot and starts to burn the base. I've just ordered some fire bricks and am going to try it with the stone raised higher, because I'm cooking for a party next weekend. 
    Well this was pizza #1 (of 1)..When the Egg temp gauge read 650º, I kept it right between there and 700º for about 30 minutes, then put the pie on.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'll get kick back... Pour a cup of water on the stone. I haven't cracked one and they come out perfect. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN