Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Better Late Then Never

Options
Morning fellas,

Happy belated 4th!  Based in Jax but originally from Oklahoma.  My nest consists of my wife and two great little girls (4 & 2) and a couple Border Terrier pups.  Spend most of my time with them and when I'm not you can find me with a flyrod in my hand somewhere in Florida or the Bahamas.

Way late to the Egg game but glad I finally jumped in and had a long weekend to get familiar with my new LBGE.  Took delivery Friday of an LGBE, Challenger Spark 48" (already want more space), Innovations by Chance Fishbones, Thermoworks Smoke and ThermoPop, and a few other eggcessories.  This whole journey started with going into the grill store to buy a $1500 Napoleon Gas Grill and leaving with an Egg.

Decided to ease into things Friday night with some simple sliders (and one dog for the littlest one).  Not having a grill for the last few years we've come to prefer burgers on the cast iron so I just threw it on the grill running around 400.  Worker great but will find a larger flatter one soon just to make it easier to access with a spatula.

Saturday I tried a little indirect/direct combination.  Marinated some chicken in coconut milk, rice wine, soy, and some other other seasoning before assembling kebabs with pineapple, peppers and onions over coconut rice.  Ran the egg at about 350 with the plate setter in for about 15mins so the coconut milk wouldn't burn before the chicken was ready, then removed the plate setter and got a nice char on everything to finish it off.  

Monday decided to push the heat up a little and did a couple chipotle rubbed flat iron steaks at about 550 direct sliced very thin and served with a "salad" of grape tomatoes, avocado, red onion, fresh lime and cojita cheese.  

Tuesday morning decided to go the other way and try low and slow with a 4.65lb Berkshire Pork Butt.  I'll start at the end and say I give it a 6.5 to 7 out of 10 and then back into the process.  I can think of a few improvements already but very open to suggestions.  The Mrs. likes me to get meat from local farmers who practically raise the cow or the pig as a pet before eating it (kind of weird in the sense really), so the only pork butt I could find was this boneless 4+ pounder.  I think that's improvement #1, larger bone-in Butt next time.  

In the past we've really liked this local coffee rub when doing pork, but they were out so I went with an unknown coffee rub I found elsewhere...mistake #2.  Should have just used the Dizzy Pig I picked up if I couldn't find the rub I know and have used.  Lastly, I pulled the Butt out of the fridge at 6:00am, applied the rub and let sit while I fired up the egg.  Got the egg to 250 and dropped the Butt at 7:30am.  Used a nice wild apple wood chunk from a local place.  Monitored the internal temp until it hit 195 (about 3:00pm) and immediately pulled, wrapped in foil and a towel and dropped it in the cooler.  BTW can't believe how easy it was to hold that temp all day and how much charcoal is still left in the firebox.

Loaded up the girls and went to the in-laws and pulled the pork onsite at about 5:15.  Had great bark, pulled apart easily, and was generally well received.  I just felt like it wasn't where I wanted it to be...a tad dry in spots, maybe needed a little more salt than expected, and just didn't quite pop like I wanted.  Will try again soon with a better bone-in Butt and a new rub. Anything I should change on the process?

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to many more experiments.

KnB
Large BGE making it's home in Jacksonville, FL.

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Dayum!  Great setup, and fantastic looking cooks!  Welcome and congratulations!  Way cool!!!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Wow come out of the gate swinging. Great setup. Welcome to the forum.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nice first post!!  Welcome to the gang.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    Looks like you 've got it going good from the start. Congrats, and EGGon!!
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Welcome!  Way to come out swinging!

Little Rock, AR

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Fantastic! Check the threads for Mickey's coffee rub. Lots of us swear by it. Also check for a recent pulled pork thread about using a Carolina vinegar sauce and the difference it makes. Looking forward to your future posts. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Just found the pork thread: Real deal pulled pork: I finally get it. By Cen-Tex. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Way to initially call the audible and land with the BGE.  That was your first home-run.  And talk about nailing it right out of the gate.  Congrats across the board.   Way to jump into the deep end of the pool.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Whoa baby! You're breaking that bad boy in in style.

Welcome to the forum, and remember if you've got any questions feel free to ask away. We were all new to the egg at one point. 
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    Well....then there is this, nice job! Glad you didn't get the $1500 Napoleon Gas Grill. Lol Enjoy your egg!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    The Force is strong in this One.  

Next, you might look into the various ways to get your grate up to gasket level (Woo, etc), that will make your flipping, CI or not, a lot easier.  Welcome!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Whats with the noobs lately coming out swinging? I like it!!!!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Clearly you're off to a great start.  Now keep it up and show us some staying power.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

welcome.  looking forward to seeing more cooks

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great cooks!

Only thing I can say about the butt is sometimes I've needed to get them to 200-205 to get really tender. But you had a few hours of carryover cooking so who knows. 

Thanks for posting and welcome. We are also going to want fly fishing pix!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks for joining. Look forward to many post and great pictures.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Welcome, while you may be new to the egg you sure aren't new to grilling. Good looking cooks.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Welcome!  Always good to have another Okie!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• KALIKSnBONES
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words and looking forward to continuing to contribute, learn, and most importantly have fun.  It's a lot easier to come out swinging when so many of you have paved the way with great information, tips, tricks, recipes etc.  

I can already tell that the Egg makes great food but the community makes the Egg.
    Large BGE making it's home in Jacksonville, FL.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Welcome to the club.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Welcome and awesome cooks!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX