Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finish hits Year 2 -- Doing Great -- Looks Even Better in Wide Angle

Promised to do periodic updates on the finish we used on our table -- 2 epoxy coatings first, 5 or 6 coats of UV protective varnish on top of that. Now at year 2, can't complain. Still glistens:

BTW, photos taken with my killer anamorphic wide angle, near distortion free lens. Check out the same angle using standard iPhone 7+ lens:

Again. iPhone standard lens:

Anamorphic lens with iPhone:

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    She is beautiful. I remember when you originally posted I misunderstood you to where I thought you were using a straight epoxy clear for the finish, and with my experience of pure epoxy, I expressed my doubts.
    After doing some research, I figured out you used epoxy infused base for clear, which is similar to automotive spec for clarity and durability.
    Beautiful finish, and will last a very, very long time with minimal care.
    I used some on a table, years ago, (13?) Gave to my daughter, it still looks great. We actually ran a polisher over the horizontal surface several months ago, looks like a mirror.
    Beautiful table my friend, and very well done.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That looks fantastic. Your extra effort paid dividends. 
  • What brand epoxy and varnish did you use?
    St. Mary's, GA
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    YukonRon said:
    She is beautiful. I remember when you originally posted I misunderstood you to where I thought you were using a straight epoxy clear for the finish, and with my experience of pure epoxy, I expressed my doubts.
    After doing some research, I figured out you used epoxy infused base for clear, which is similar to automotive spec for clarity and durability.
    Beautiful finish, and will last a very, very long time with minimal care.
    I used some on a table, years ago, (13?) Gave to my daughter, it still looks great. We actually ran a polisher over the horizontal surface several months ago, looks like a mirror.
    Beautiful table my friend, and very well done.
    I remember how apprehensive I was at first, but I figured what did I have to lose once I decided to go with it. Other than to wait and let time and the elements do their thing, couldn't do much else. Grateful for the outcome, that's for sure. BTW, in celebration, put these babies on at 8:30 this morning:

• News2u
    What brand epoxy and varnish did you use?

I'll try to find the old YouTube post on application. Used on boat decks. You live in same weather terrain so should work for you too.
  • Appreciate the info @News2u

St. Mary's, GA
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Superb!
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • News2u
    Didn't want to leave anyone hanging. Baby backs hit the spot, extremely well defined, thick smoke ring:

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    That finish looks great. I don't think you'll have any issues for a long time, if ever! The rib spread looks outstanding as well!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • News2u
    edited July 2017
    That finish looks great. I don't think you'll have any issues for a long time, if ever! The rib spread looks outstanding as well!
    Those ribs WERE fantastic. But when I think back about finishing the table, I was courting disaster. That's because I had abandoned the ol' school, straight, bar-clamp method of gluing up the top in favor of (now go easy on me) Kreg screws. Big, bad mistake. Within days, the teak -- gorgeous as it looked unfinished -- started to de-laminate in the heat of our sunroom:

I spent hours re-clamping it, knowing full well the glue-up would never last outside in northeast Florida's humidity, even with the best of finishes. So I did what any panicked woodworker would do, I quickly started thinking outside of the box. That's when I decided while sealing the underneath of the top with epoxy, I would also screw down 1/4" plywood plates across the joints on the wet epoxy to guarantee they could never separate once the epoxy cured. It worked:

The joints of the middle shelf, clamped ol' school and sealed top to bottom with epoxy, never budged. But for that moment of panic, the joints to the table top were toast.

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Interesting approach. The Kreg pocket hole system is great but as with any system, it has it's limitations. Unfortunately you found one of them out but fortunately, it was early enough in the process so it could be remedied. When I built my table, I started out thinking it would have a wooden table top but then started thinking about changing hot racks and pots and I didn't like the idea of possibly scorching a wooden top. That's why I went with granite. Your table looks fantastic and that's all that matters at this point.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • News2u
    Interesting approach. The Kreg pocket hole system is great but as with any system, it has it's limitations. Unfortunately you found one of them out but fortunately, it was early enough in the process so it could be remedied. When I built my table, I started out thinking it would have a wooden table top but then started thinking about changing hot racks and pots and I didn't like the idea of possibly scorching a wooden top. That's why I went with granite. Your table looks fantastic and that's all that matters at this point.
    Given the degree of difficulty, I wish I had gone granite, too. And I should have also used the composite decking for the middle shelf. That said, those non-slip plywood plates I fashioned on the fly were a lifesaver. The joints haven't budged a hair.