Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 HELP!!!!

Options
Alton
Alton Posts: 509
Been over a year since I've done ribs and Can't remember .... Sauce in foil? Or only after???? Thanks ... Happy Fourth Everyone!!! 
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Most people put some liquid in the foil - but not sauce.  Apple juice, or coffee or something.  

I've actually done it with sauce and liked the results, but that's probably just me.  

At this point I don't foil.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Alton
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Most people put some liquid in the foil - but not sauce.  Apple juice, or coffee or something.  

I've actually done it with sauce and liked the results, but that's probably just me.  

So you don't foil.... you just go straight through indirect at 250 until they are tender then sauce?
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Haven't really heard of anyone using sauce in the foil. Most folks put liquid such as apple juice. The other day I was out of A-J and so used a little bit of chicken stock. 

That being said, if you want to sauce them in the foil I don' t know that it would be a bad thing. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I haven't done ribs in so long, but always did them straight thru indirect at 250/275 let it ride until they were just bending a little.  The I'd open it up sauce and go direct for 30mins.  I'll step aside and let the champs speak, but I do wish you good luck.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I did 3.2.1 yesterday and I foiled with a garlic citrus sauce I found using a foil pan covered with foil was easier to manage.. The sauce was of thin consistency so it steamed a bit.. Worked out great.. I then put back on for finishing ..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Alton
    Options
    I think I just going to let them ride.... been spritzing every 20min with a bourbon/apple cider vinegar mixture.... I will sauce when the toothpick moves effortlessly through the meet... thanks everyone 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm of the 3-1-.5 camp. No liquid in the foil stage since you get plenty of steam from the meat. Two hours in foil IMHO makes too "fall off bone" for me, and half an hour is plenty for saucing. Just what works for me. Doing two racks of St Louis today. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you want fall off the bone, foil. If you like a bite, let it ride.  I'm in the let it ride camp, but the wife like fall off the bone. Guess how I'm doing mine today. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Alton said:
    Foghorn said:

So you don't foil.... you just go straight through indirect at 250 until they are tender then sauce?
    Yes. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I like ribs in the foil but for no more than an hour. I also don't put any liquid in there because it creates a more mushy texture than we prefer.
    Stillwater, MN
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    If you want fall off the bone, foil. If you like a bite, let it ride.  I'm in the let it ride camp, but the wife like fall off the bone. Guess how I'm doing mine today. 
    @theyolksonyou

Foil 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    We foil with Coke or orange juice, something with some sugar.  Sauce in the last 30 minutes or so.  If BB's, more like 2-1.5-1 to 1.5 at 275.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga