Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Small World Incident with an Egghead

Options
Covington, Louisiana is not a big town (under 10k Population), but there are at least two well established Big Green Egg dealers here. And both say they sell a lot of Eggs. 

So it was no surprise that while Judy and I were in Home Depot buying a couple of bags of 'on sale' Royal Oak, that we would happen on another Egghead. 

She was trying to get to the Weber fire starters and I asked if, by chance, they were going to be used to fire up a Big Green Egg. 

A smile, and then yes, "My husband is going to cook on his Egg." 

I recommended that she buy at least one of the last two bags of Royal Oak, if for no other reason than the price was very good. And she did. 

So after a brief introduction, we gave her a card, although out of date as for phone number. But I pointed out the addresses of the GreenEggers Forum, Egghead Forum and Big Green Egg BBQers Facebook page which are all on the back of the card. 

She was delighted and said she would pass it on to her husband. 

One more Egghead met and hundreds more to meet in such a small town... 

Life only gets better when there a lots of Eggheads around. 

Happy Independence Day. Remember why we celebrate it. 

Spring "One Among Many" Chicken 
Covington Louisiana USA

Comments

• CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    Very cool.

This forum was one of the determining factors of the purchase of my egg.  I was a little overwhelmed thinking about spending 1k on a "grill" but after seeing all the helpful topics and answers on this site, I knew I'd eventually get it down with research and posting some newbie topics myself.

The egghead community is a very unselfish one. Everyone seems willing to help others take their next step to "mastering" the art of the egg if there is such a status.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Great story..  Egg on Brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     A little common ground is a great conversation starter. And once conversation gets going we usually find we have a lot more in common than we have differences.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nice one. This has probably been asked elsewhere, are you building another coop?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    If I meet someone that has an egg at a function or party I know that I have someone to talk to for the evening. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Want be long now tillwe have the Cajun Chicken Ranch.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Hope it works out better that the Texas Chicken Ranch did
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about Disneyland 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Nice one. This has probably been asked elsewhere, are you building another coop?
    Thanks.  The Coop, as you well know, was a product of the Chicken Ranch, which was the product of an active imagination supported by one of the great stories that made a lot of Texans 'real men.'  All we did was re-tell the story with the Chicken Ranch 'Girls' disguised as ceramic smoker/grills out to satisfy everyone who came to the Chicken Ranch seeking pleasures.  That life went on ten full years.  But some of the 'Girls' were getting up in age, and although they love the life there, there was also some wear and tear on them.  

In fact, Lily Large, circa 1999, began cracking at the seams and eventually requested to be left to range free, and work only when she wanted to.  She loved the easy life and decided she wanted to stay close to the Chicken Ranch after we were gone.  So she was adopted by a neighbor who expressed an interest in playing with her.  Up to the day we left, he was bragging about how he and she got along so well.

Likewise, I told Maggie Mini she could come to Louisiana or stay at the Chicken Ranch as a member of the new owner's staff.  She liked the idea of staying.  As did Lulu-Large, whose contract was sold to the new owner for a decent price.  

Lola Large, Shirley Small and Mini-Maxine wanted to come with us to Louisiana.  Mini-Maxine and Shirley Small have been earning their keep here at Temporary House, but Lola still hasn't gone back to work.  She misses her shoes.  I might just put her up on a concrete pedestal so she can start carrying her own weight.

As for another Coop, I don't rightly know yet.  We have a slab drawn into the plans, along with natural gas, electricity, hot and cold and drains.  If the budget allows, we will build something, but it won't be another Coop, for sure.

As they say, We'll see...

Spring "No Coop To Play In" Chicken
    Covington Louisiana USA

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Want be long now tillwe have the Cajun Chicken Ranch.
    We'll know in about six months what is in the cards.  We're still thinking on it. We have to learn the language first.  It's different, you kneaux.

Spring "Gotta Geaux" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     A little common ground is a great conversation starter. And once conversation gets going we usually find we have a lot more in common than we have differences.
    You're right, and such conversations can happen anywhere, in grocery stores, restaurants, or even at airports.  It happens a lot when we wear our "I'm an Egghead" shirts.  

By the way, I've been trying for years to get my Connecticut friend to become an Egghead.  He lives in East Haddam and volunteers at Mystic Seaport Museum maintaining and even re-building some of their boats.  

Spring "Hey... Let Me Tell You About My Big Green Eggs" Chicken

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I'm glad to see that out are making new friends. That can be the hardest part of relocating.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks.  But it's not hard to do.  Just smile and say "Hi."  Or, sometimes when Judy is shopping and I'm bored, I'll go stand at the entrance to the store and say "Welcome to Walmart" to everyone who enters, and maybe "Thank you for shopping at Walmart" to those leaving.  Every once in a while someone will say "You do know this isn't Walmart, don't you!"  And a that point we have a conversation going.  But they don't stick around long enough to become friends. LOL

The worst part of waiting is being bored while waiting.  My way to deal with it works for me.

Spring "Hi... Wanna Talk About Big Green Eggs?" Chicken
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I'm glad to see that out are making new friends. That can be the hardest part of relocating.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My Beautiful Wife and I were in the middle of nowhere, in NEOH, nothing but Amish country and farmland, when we decided to stop for a bite to eat.
    This dining establishment, unknown to us, just happened to be one of the best places in Ohio.
    The food was spectacular, the service top notch.
    The owner came out as we were amongst the last folks in the place, and greeted us.
    We began to talk about his facility, where he cooked and how he cooked. The conversation was incredible. While primarily Italian oriented, he had some dishes on the menu any egger would be familiar with.
    During our conversation, I dropped the bomb, I cook on the BGE. This was after we shared the use of SV, CI, smoking, etc. 
    Turns out, he is a fan of the forum, and has read posts of some of you all had made. 
    He has a Large.
    Go figure. Great food.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky