Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnighter - North Carolina/Elder Ward's pulled pork

Options
Since I'm so new to this I wanted to keep my first overnighter recipe authentic so I went with Elder Ward's North Caroline pulled pork recipe found on NakedWhiz. 

Started with an 18 lb shoulder/thing of beauty from my butcher (it was huge...proportions difficult to appreciate on this image as the cutting board was also huge)

that was subsequently massacred by me into this 

Mixed up Elder Ward's rub (salt, sugar, paprika, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, sage) and laid it on while getting the egg fired up around 10 pm.

Something great about being out at night alone with a fire...

Went for my usual lighting routine and thought I'd compensate for Edler's cold smoke process by waiting until the BGE came up to temp and adding more hickory (I used about four decent sized chunks distributed throughout as opposed to his one).

After temp had stabilized for an hour at 200 I tucked in the shoulder and promised not to look again until it hit 200. Something still scary about a contained fire on a wood deck next to my house. 

Watched it closely for about an hour to make sure temp was stable. I can't believe how rock solid this XLBGE is. 

Here is the temp reading at around 1 am just before bed:

Here it is a good 6.5 hours later after waking up (I'm literally still in bed here grabbing this right away thinking I had slept through a disaster):

I know it's impossible to know for sure what happened in between but I was damn sure impressed at the temp stability!

Although I was in no rush I realized I was far off my endpoint so cranked it up a touch to 225 and had a great day outside:

When it hit about 165 I cranked it up some more to about 300. When it hit 200 around 6:30 pm I finally had a peak

My initial thought was that it looked like a big lump of charcoal, so I was a bit worried and wish I had spritzed it and checked on it throughout. 

Not to worry though, after wrapping in foil and some towels the bark had softened up beautifully and I was ready to pull using an improvised set of insulated gloves - big green egg gloves with each hand stuffed in a ziplock to keep them clean. 

Inside it was perfectly juicy and moist and bark was totally edible and packed full of flavour.

I pulled some rough chunks and gave the part due for sandwiches that night a rough chop. Sandwiches got smothered in his vinegar sauce recipe (white vinegar, cidar vinegar, sugar, cayenne, tobasco, salt, and pepper I let sit overnight). Sandwiches were topped with the Mary Lee's Slaw recipe he mentions. 

Chunks were served up with the Piedmont/Western NC style sauce that's a bit sweeter with some body to it, still warm for dipping.

All in all a fantastic experience and great meal. With just my wife and 5 year old daughter we'll have some leftovers to tide us over for a bit! 

Happy Canada Day and July 4th long weekend to all!

Mike

Comments

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    Looks great Mike.

Next time I would start at 250. It will save you plenty of time. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me!  I don't know how y'alls eggs will hold 200, mine likes to sit around 240-260.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    That was fun to read!  The late night fire lighting ritual is indeed a pleasure.  Good looking cook!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Great documentation and result for sure.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Beautiful !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks FANTASTIC, job well done!!!

I agree with others above that 250°, even 275°, is easier to maintain, faster, and in my own experience, anyway, gets better smoke than below 250°.  Might be something to consider next time.

But the end result is the whole point of the thing, and yours looks PERFECT!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I love your butt!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Looks great! A++
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yum!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Good looking stuff, but just an observation,  why did you remove the skin?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Chicks Love Pulled pork!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great post and cook.. Plated pic off the charts..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Thanks for sharing...great looking results.  I'm going to start doing my low N Slow at a higher temp...225 has always been my norm, but going to do 260 - 270 range now.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • MikeInTO
    MikeInTO Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Will definitely run at a higher temp next time but wanted to stay as true to the recipe as possible. 

Didn't know what to do with the skin - have always been a bit squeamish of cracklings or anything too fatty but am open to trying new things. 

Definitely doing this again soon. Pork + hickory + vinegar was a pure winner in my book. 

Thanks for looking! 
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Very nicely done! Big chunk o' butt!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    MikeInTO said:
    Something still scary about a contained fire on a wood deck next to my house.
    Not always all that contained...

Your instincts are correct. Time to get it off the deck.

Nice cook though!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Great first pork butt cook! Congrats. Good for you for cranking the heat up to finish. I agree that 250 is a great starting temp for this cook.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini