Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unique Cook Ideas?

Options
Looking to cook something today other than the typical brisket, ribs, butt, etc. and I need some ideas.

I've made chicken thighs, 2 versions of pig shots and beef ribs so far. Got 2 racks of baby backs going on the egg tomorrow along with some sausage stuffed and bacon wrapped chicken thighs (i drive a truck for a living so i spend a lot of nights dreaming up food ideas). 

Went out looking for a tri tip this morning (saw them at Tom Thumb last weekend but no such luck today). Might go try Costco here in a minute unless one of ya'll comes up with something better.

Trying to hold off on any super high heat stuff until i get the first 3-4 cooks in, so i'm trying to avoid steaks, scallops, etc. 

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited June 2017
    Options
    green lightning shrimp ( high temp, but not for long), wings, chili, salmon smoked or grilled, paella.
  • Cdm624
    Cdm624 Posts: 52
    Options
    was thinking wings but i've been wanting to try drying them overnight in the fridge so i waited to late for that. got stuck at work until 5:30 this morning so after a 5 hour nap i'm not working with a whole lot of time
  • Cdm624
    Options
    Can't eat anything bread related, due to low carb high protein diet restrictions.  because a burger sounds really good right now but a burger without a bun doesn't do much for me.

oh well...i'm down 91 lbs. since March 15 of this year so i cant complain too much
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm not one of the experts on this forum, but a few things I've cooked and really liked that were a bit outside of the norm:
    • Korean chicken skewers, "Dakkochi," were one of the best things I've ever cooked.
    • Sambal chicken skewers, not quite as amazing as the ones above, but really delicious and simpler.
    • "Gulf Coast Shrimp" is the best shrimp I've ever cooked on the Egg, and pretty different.
    • Grilled Lamb Burgers with Moroccan Aioli was simple, like making regular burgers, but VERY different flavor profile with the Moroccan spices, the arugula and feta.  Really good.
    • Bulgogi (Part 1 and Part 2) are really fun, simple as marinated flank steak, but especially if you eat them Korean-style, as lettuce wraps with a little ssamjang, kimchi, maybe other stuff, makes them fun and really different than American-style flank steak.
    • "Lucky Peach Lamb Burgers" I cooked indoors, but you certainly could cook them on a griddle in the Egg.  They were unusual and delicious. (no peaches -- "Lucky Peach" is a magazine the recipe came from.)
    • Eastern European Grilled Meats are a whole WORLD of different grilled meats!  I've only had and made a few of them, but really liked them.  I recently saw several kinds of Bulgarian sausages on Triple-D that made my mouth water, but I couldn't find recipes.
    Anyway, those are a few ideas that are sort of unusual.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Paella, enchiladas, chicken a bunch of ways...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I made a quiche last weekend that was great, and simple
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Deep dish.
    XL BGE
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Cdm624
    Options
    Settled on a bacon wrapped meatloaf like concoction...

Mixed sausage, ground beef, onions, garlic, chopped bacon and a can of manwich sauce i found in the cabinet. Oh yea and a block of cheddar cheese cubes too.

It should be interesting 

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Smoked hard boiled eggs are something we didn't think we would love as much as we do. Eat them just as eggs, deviled or as egg salad.  They are a staple for us now. Throw them on for 20 minutes when you are doing anything low and slow. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Cdm624
    Options
    Finished product...
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Persian chicken kabobs
     3 lbs.Boneless skinless chicken thighs
     3 tablespoons Paprika
    2 tablespoons onion powder
     2/3 cup lime juice
    1tablespoons red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon white pepper
    1 teaspoon red curry
    Mix dry ingredients
    Mix lime juice and chicken in a plastic bag, then coat with dry ingredients
    Grill direct at 350 until 165*
    Serve with Tzaki sauce:
    Plain greek yogurt with salt and pepper and minced cucumbers.

LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Cdm624 said:
    was thinking wings but i've been wanting to try drying them overnight in the fridge so i waited to late for that. got stuck at work until 5:30 this morning so after a 5 hour nap i'm not working with a whole lot of time
    There's good and better, but I would never let not having wings drying overnight stop me from doing a batch of wings on the BGE. They are still plenty good right out of the package.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    The meatloaf looks better than anyone i have done on the egg. Great Choice!
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Here's another forum favorite for you.

• Theophan
    Options
    Whoa, that looks WAY cool!!!  Great job!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sphincter stew. 
    Anus stir fry. 
    Stuffed rectum. 
    Scrotum pie or scrotum spaghetti. 
    The above is about as "unique" as it gets. 

Note: The stuffed rectum is a real crowd pleaser.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Forgot to mention earlier, but that is one fantastic looking meatloaf. Really great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Meatloaf looks incredible. 

Little Rock, AR

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I haven't been egging that long, but have tried to do some out of the ordinary things, at least from my perspective. Mostly inspried/adapted from recipes on this very forum.

Vietnamese roast duck and pineapple

Ancho chili and hoisin chicken

Peruvian marinated pork

and agree with @Biggreenpharmacist the meatloaf looks great.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Theophan
    Options
    I haven't been egging that long, but have tried to do some out of the ordinary things, at least from my perspective. Mostly inspried/adapted from recipes on this very forum.

Peruvian marinated pork

Those all looked great!!!  Did you post them here, too?  If not, I hope you'll consider doing so in the future -- those really looked great!
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    One thing I've started doing is stuffed pork tenderloin.  You butterfly the tenderloin, put stuff in it and roll it up and tie it.  I would cook it at 350 until it's done, flipping a couple of times.  Here's a link to get you started.  I like feta, sundried tomatos, olives, and some Greek seasoning. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Theophan said:

Peruvian marinated pork

Those all looked great!!!  Did you post them here, too?  If not, I hope you'll consider doing so in the future -- those really looked great!
    @Theophan thanks, yes I did, I post all my cooks and other BGE stuff as well. You can find the threads in here with search, or check out my profile.

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Theophan
    Options
    @Theophan thanks, yes I did, I post all my cooks and other BGE stuff as well. You can find the threads in here with search, or check out my profile.
    Many thanks!  I now realize I've seen some of your posts and enjoyed them, just don't always remember who wrote what.  Thanks!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Standing rib roast done low and slow!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2017
    Options
    One thing I've started doing is stuffed pork tenderloin.  You butterfly the tenderloin, put stuff in it and roll it up and tie it.  I would cook it at 350 until it's done, flipping a couple of times.  Here's a link to get you started.  I like feta, sundried tomatos, olives, and some Greek seasoning. 
    Wrapping bacon around it before you tie it up really helps mine.  Or substitute pounded thin chicken with bacon as well. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.