Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gizzards. Am I the only one?

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Posted a couple of years ago both turkey and chicken gizzards. Never saw any other posts. I like them. 
Doing a spatchcock for Linda and gizzards for me. Good lunch. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    Options
    Really Good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Gary @Village Idiot gave me some of this year's ago. Have been a big fan. Outstanding on these gizzards. 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Never had gizzards grilled, but I enjoy them with a crunchy batter, deep fried.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Fry dem bastads 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    My family loves them, funny story. One year at our annual family reunion we had our big dinner at The Golden Corral and someone came back from the buffet to announce there was fresh gizzards just put out. 3/4 of the 75 people we had instantly made a mad dash for the buffet line. We cleaned them out that day. Only had them fried though. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    giz·zard
    ˈɡizərd/
    noun
    noun: gizzard; plural noun: gizzards
    1. a muscular, thick-walled part of a bird's stomach for grinding food, typically with grit.
    Uh, no.  I've never eaten "a muscular, thick-walled part of a bird's stomach for grinding food, typically with grit."  It sounds dreadful!  Something to use for flavor in a stock and then TAKE IT OUT and THROW IT AWAY!

Holy Moly!

Seriously, are they good?  Can you compare them to anything else I might actually have eaten?

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    A few years ago I raised over 100 broiler chickens with a friend.  I presented him with an ice cream bucket of gizzards.  He was so happy.  I was content with the livers.     
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Haven't eaten a chicken gizzard in more than forty years. My dad used to cook them. They always seemed like chewing rubber bands to me.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    Options
    Always just used them for bait
  • Mickey
    Options
    A few years ago I raised over 100 broiler chickens with a friend.  I presented him with an ice cream bucket of gizzards.  He was so happy.  I was content with the livers.     
    I don't do livers!

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Just give me the livers!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    I'll eat most all the inners, especially gizzards--have not egged them yet though
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I LOVE gizzards. Buy packages of them all the time, but I've never done anything but boil them in highly salted water. Great suggestion -- next time I'll try them on the Egg. Anything special I should know about how to cook them?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Mickey
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    I LOVE gizzards. Buy packages of them all the time, but I've never done anything but boil them in highly salted water. Great suggestion -- next time I'll try them on the Egg. Anything special I should know about how to cook them?
    Like chicken/turkey: 400 Raised Direct

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I have never had gizzards, but years ago I used to get the livers from Popeye's.  I haven't been in one in years, I have no idea if they still serve them.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Ps: the spatchcock turned out ok

• Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    I'd rather eat properly fried gizzards than popcorn.  Grew up eating them fried and only eat them grilled when I'm grilling a whole chicken.  The back and the parts in the bag inside the chicken belong to the cook (me).  My whole family loves for me to fry gizzards.  I don't make a batter, just roll in flour and into the fryer and season once removed.  Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Fried gizzards with hot sauce, give me a plate  :):)
    Jacksonville FL
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Mom used to eat gizzards all the time when we were young - I can't remember ever getting past the first bite without spitting it out - rubber band is a good description for what I remember.   
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    I love em battered and fried. Never had them smoked.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, the spatch looks good anyway. =)

I'm in the chicken liver camp. Love it! No gizzards for me. I like calves liver too, but it doesn't hold a candle to chicken liver. Haven't had any in a long time though. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I used to eat the gizzards as a kid, liver on the other hand won't make it down and usually comes out like a projectile if you know what I mean... :o

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2017
    Options
    luv the gizzards also, don't forget the hearts duck hearts are especially great IMO, sometimes will throw a pound or so in a pot, gizzards and hearts,  of  boiling agua and some diced jalapenos 3-4 and boil to death, then chop all up and make dirty rice.  how long you egg the gizzards? Happy 4th.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Growing up I always got the gizzards when Mom fried chicken. During the 70s when I drove a truck for a living I would stop at a Kentucky Fried Chicken store located in a truck stop and would buy them to eat on the road. Haven't had any for years though.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Mickey
    edited June 2017
    Options
    luv the gizzards also, don't forget the hearts duck hearts are especially great IMO, sometimes will throw a pound or so in a pot, gizzards and hearts,  of  boiling agua and some diced jalapenos 3-4 and boil to death, then chop all up and make dirty rice.  how long you egg the gizzards? Happy 4th.
    About 25 min's.... Hope you are doing well. Did not get to call you back we headed up to Seaside from Captiva.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I really enjoy the gizzards, livers and hearts on the egg.  Quit posting them because everyone seemed squimish about them.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I love gizzards. I haven;t had them in years. I was always a fan of having them fried with sausage gravy to dip them into. Great memories. 

I have never had them grilled.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    I have and can eat a gizzard. I love fried chicken livers. Keep posting those gizzards. Pork brains and eggs are good, too.
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    I love cooking the gizzards when I'm doing spatchcock. But I've never had just those. I love the hearts. Great flavor.  
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I love gizzards!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va