Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Nashville. Any must do's?

MJG
MJG Posts: 598
Headed to Nashville with my bride Wednesday morning and staying thru Saturday night. Are there any must do's?  Neither of us have ever been. Point of the trip is to get out of town and relax. First time leaving our 2 daughters to fend for themselves. Going to hit Hattie B's for hot chicken and have a few taverns scoped out. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. 
Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Go eat at the Thunderbird Wings food truck. They just recently won Best Wings in TN by Esquire Magazine. 
  • Thunderbirds is pretty tasty. The Grilled Cheeserie is the "local fav" but you've got to hunt it down and stand in a pretty impressive line. But its worth it.

I wouldn't spend more than an afternoon/evening doing the downtown Broadway thing. And I would do it on Thursday. Fri-Sun is insane downtown. I reschedule meetings after lunch on Friday because of the influx of people that start filling in.

Check out downtown Franklin. I don't think there is an event this weekend so it shouldn't be too crowded. Good food, shops, relaxed feel. They have a place called Puckett's that has a great breakfast. Brisket and cornbread waffles or pulled pork sweet potato pancakes. Both are worthy of a car nap. Also Gray's is a little pricey but good for a great afternoon/evening cocktail.

I've got to head out on a few sales calls this morning, I'll see if I can't find a few flyers with the "weekend music" lists on them. See if anyone decent is playing.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Wow... that's a loaded question!  The original hot chicken is offered at a place called Prince's.  The original location is a bit "in the wrong part of town" but fortunately they have opened a new second location at the corner of Old Hickory and Nolensville Rd in the south side of Nashville.

Downtown Nashville (Broadway between 2nd and 8th) offers a variety of "joints" that cater to Nashville's music heritage (Country Music Hall of Fame, Cash Museum, Patsy Cline Museum near BW on 2nd, Grand Ole Opry just off of Broadway, etc) and has a variety of interesting places to explore.  Safe area day and night.

The Parthenon is interesting place to visit and there is a quaint BBQ place near there that serves good BBQ and I like their turkey and white BBQ sauce sandwiches.

There are a zillion music venues with all types of music.  Pick up a copy of The Scene when you get to Nashville (it's free) and see what they say is happening... you never know who might be playing or just show up!

You may want to take a jaunt over to the 5 points area of East Nashville.  A little more of a hipster area but still has some good food places to venture to.

I'm sure you'll get about 50 more posts.  Have a great time while you're here!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Check out Lanes Motor Museum. 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I love Nashville, 5 hours South of here... but I still don't get there as often as I want.
    Good call on Hattie B's, prepare to stand in line.

You have to see the Country Music Hall of Fame, or don't bother going. 
    Often missed, is the Nashville Parthenon. Nice park, interesting history, big a$s statue inside.

Vanderbilt University is worth a drive through - stately old well kept campus.

We took a studio tour that let us sit at Elvis' piano, separate tour than OpryLand, but worth spending a half day driving around the various sound studios and who recorded what where. 

I can say I have stood on the very wooden boards where the dust of music legends has been trapped from their boots into the cracks. From Hank Williams to Dolly Partin to Toby Keith - those wooden slats have been there.

I'll say it now, don't like Country Music. Can't stand it, makes my ears bleed. I'm a Doors, Zeppelin, Allman Bros, Pink Floyd kind of guy. But I respect the guitar work of Chet Atkins through Tommy Emmanuel. 

Oh, I'm sorry, were you looking for places to eat? Won't be a problem.
    Here's a sample of pictures from my last visit:

Backstage at the Opry^^^^The Piano, where Elvis recorded. ^^^^ Studio B
    The Parthenon

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    LOVED the show at the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman, the Country Music Hall-a-Fame. And of course, stood in line at Hatti-B's. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    If you are staying downtown and want a cool dive bar with 99 taps and 150 different bottles of beer hit up Beer Sellar. Other than that what everyone above said. :) But there is always "yoga with goats" if youre feeling frisky.

http://nashvilleguru.com/nashville-events

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• DoubleEgger
    The Hermitage if you're a history buff. 
  • DoubleEgger
    You can venture south of town and hit the Jack Daniels distillery tour ( and Dickel too) 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    If you like music in a fun town with a foodie back up, I have to tell you Nashville is about as cool as it gets. 
    We will head down a few times a year just to hang out, having no plans. Not once have we had a bad time.
    Use Yelp once you arrive to find entertainment and places to eat. If you have a bad time, it is on you.
    Have fun, we are heading down again for sure in October to the only "planned trip" to see a concert at the Ryman. 
    True story:
    We were killing time and happened upon a church parking lot sale with many vendors and booths. 
    We walked up to one that was selling old LPs. There were dozens of boxes full of albums.
    I found one I thought might be interesting, it was a collaboration of work by Mark Knopfler and Chetan Atkins. As I was reading the back, the older, refined lady that was working the booth mentioned her husband considered it his favorite. During the conversation, I found out, her husband, is Chet Atkins.
    I bought it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • volminimax
    volminimax Posts: 119
    I avoid Nashville at all costs. Other than Predator or Titans games. Its too touristy for me and $$$ otherwise. But I'm a 31 year old homebody, maybe that is it. Peg Leg porker seems pretty good, haven't tried it myself, but I'm going to next time I venture in.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Loveless Cafe. A little out of town but definitely worth it. Load up on their rubs and jams.... Especially the peach rub. Food is phenomenal. 
    Printers Alley 
    Wildhorse 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jones2289
    jones2289 Posts: 56
    We make the trip to Nashville once every year or so, and love the food.

I notice you mentioned Hattie B's, which is great.

A few places we also like:
    Mas Tacos in East Nashville for some great tacos and elote (I've heard that The Pharmacy across the street is one of the best burgers in town)
    Martin's BBQ (I really like the brisket and beans)
    Desano Pizza Bakery for great Neapolitan style pizza (just west of downtown, near Broadway)
    Indianapolis, IN
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I might add a couple of "secret been here forever spots"... Definitely hole in the wall kinda places...

Browns Diner
    Elliston Place Soda Shop...

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The flyers weren't out yet this morning at the stand I stopped at. 

+1 on Loveless. Don't go on Saturday morning or you will be in line for 2 hours. 

If you go over to 5 Points go to 5 Points Pizza. It's the only pizza I like in town anymore. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    If you're downtown Demo's is a good spot. Mostly locals 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    My wife and I stayed at the Hermitage while we were there.  Pucketts Grocery is certainly a must if you are in the downtown area.  The Country Music Hall of Fame is another I would do again.  And you certainly cannot miss the famous Studio B.  I ate at The Pharmacy while on a business trip and that is another locals spot that I would do again.  Have fun!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • TN_Sister_State
    I will say this place is great if you want a nice bite of food. Same people that own the pharmacy. 

http://www.butchertownhall.com/

Franklin, Tn

• MJG
    Thank you all for the recommendations. Looking forward to it! 
  • Hattie B's Hot Chicken 
  • TN_Sister_State
    I will say the hot chicken taco at sopaphillas in Franklin is freaking killer. 
    Franklin, Tn

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Check out Lanes Motor Museum. 
    If you're into cool cars you will enjoy this. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Biscuit Love... In the Gulch 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MJG
    Had a great time and hit many recommended spots. Headed back home to Boston this evening so we'll do the country music HoF before we go to the airport. A fun little city. I love not needing a car. 
  • @MJG if you haven't had breakfast yet there's a little place in Franklin that makes exceptionally average Mickey Mouse pancakes. 

South of Nashville, TN

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    My wife and I stayed at the Hermitage while we were there.  Pucketts Grocery is certainly a must if you are in the downtown area.  The Country Music Hall of Fame is another I would do again.  And you certainly cannot miss the famous Studio B.  I ate at The Pharmacy while on a business trip and that is another locals spot that I would do again.  Have fun!

The Pharmacy is very good and worth a visit, but it stays packed.   I enjoy their beer selection.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.