Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin

g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
Plan on smoking a pork loin today in apple wood. Do I get my egg up to my temp first then put the apple wood in or once I get my fire going should I then put the apple wood on? 

Comments

• Dos_Eggys
    Dos_Eggys Posts: 31
    I recommend putting the wood on after you light and let lump get to temp. Drop the wood, place the setter (if you're using it) and go. I always like to do that so I know the lump is burning clean before I add the wood. Don't want to confuse bad smoke with good smoke. 
    KAB, DOT, Grill Grates, Smokeware Cap
    Picnic Shoulder Addict - Huntley, IL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I like to get the fire going well, put in the plate setter and grill and let everything get to temp (about 30 min). Then I drop in my wood chunks and wait another 30 minutes for the smoke to settle in. Then cook. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • I don't put too much smoke on a pork loin.  A half-handful of apple chips are all I use.  Get everything set, plate setter in, minimum to zero smoke, perfect temp, add the chips and put on that pork loin right away.  Enjoy!
    Love cooking on my XL BGE for 2, 12, or 100!
    www.principalchef.com

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    hmmmm pork loin :):):)
    That is one of our favorite meals! After smoking I slice it into medallions and then serve them drizzled with warmed Blue Hog's Tennessee Red as a finishing sauce! When guests are here they think I slaved for hours on that finishing sauce!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.