Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Must Stops in Denver / Estes Park

Options
Heading to the Rockies in a couple of weeks.  Any restaurants I need to stop for in Denver or Estes Park?
Doylestown - Pennsylvania

Comments

• HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Not a restaurant but when you need a drink, check out The Barrel, it's a little outdoor bar right on the main drag in Estes Park. Good beer and whiskey selection. The Stanley Hotel is worth checking out, too. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As a kid this place was magical 
    https://g.co/kgs/Jbx24e
    Casa Bonita 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    Options
    +1 on both recommendations.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years. We tried to stay out of Denver butEstes Park was our sanctuary. It's all outdoor fun and places to eat. There was a burger place that did Elk and Buffalo type smash burgers, a walk in lunch type place. I'm forgetting the name. Let me look it up. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Babas was the name. It's a little shithole but the food was really good. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years. We tried to stay out of Denver butEstes Park was our sanctuary. It's all outdoor fun and places to eat. There was a burger place that did Elk and Buffalo type smash burgers, a walk in lunch type place. I'm forgetting the name. Let me look it up. 

@Killit_and_Grillit - is this the place?
    http://penelopesburgers.com/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Babas was the name. It's a little shithole but the food was really good. 
    Nothing like a good shithole. They oughta named it "scottie's". 

Little Rock, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt no but I think we went there too

South of Nashville, TN

• ScottyTooHotty
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions
    Doylestown - Pennsylvania
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Seek out the Atomic Cowboy on Colfax in Denver. http://www.atomiccowboy.net/. Denver Biscuit and Fat Sully's pizza both operate out of the location. Both are world class. Seriously good grub. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    https://www.earlybirdrestaurant.com/ 

That's a good place for breakfast. I recommend the EBR Beni. The sauce that they make that is on the table is also wonderful. I always buy a few bottles to take home.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We spent a week in EP about 5 years ago, honestly can't remember any of the restaurants but we had some fantastic day hikes to strings of lakes in the surrounding area.  Absolutely loved it.  Also spent a day rafting - might have been on the Colorado, we had to go up and over the CD and down past Granby to get there, but it was a fantastic day.  Raft company runs shuttle vans from the HS, so you just ride and take pics.  Whole family enjoyed, was spirited enough to not be boring to HS kids.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you are a DDD you can check the Flavortown map:
    https://www.flavortownusa.com/map?q=Denver,+CO

Atomic Cowboy is featured and looks solid:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/co/denver/atomic-cowboy-restaurant/atomic-cowboy-videos

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Lol, Casa Bonita!  I went there and tried to get inside, told the front lady that I had to see the restaurant made famous by that South Park episode, but she wouldn't let me in. Said I had to purchase food if I want to look inside :(
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    The Cherry Cricket in Cherry Creek. Amazing burger and beer. I threw darts for my selections. So good!
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Im sure there are several coffee shops worth checking out...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't think there are any coffee shops there.

May I add, "sadly".

Options
    We usually hit one of the big grocery and wine stores, after we land in Denver, and get a car. We always rent homes with a good kitchen, and an out door cooker. 
    We do big meals in the evening, good breakfast in the morning, and lunch is leftovers, on a trail somewhere.
    3 years ago, during the second week of July, at about 9K FASL, we got snow, if I remember correctly, about 2:00 p.m. local.
    You will be able to see Longs Peak from EP. Look for the diamond face. Highest peak within the borders of RMNP. It is also the most climbed, and more lives lost climbing Longs Peak, than any other in Colorado.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    as mentioned above, Denver Biscuit company / Fat Sully's is fantastic and is our go-to place. The breakfast biscuit sandwiches are amazing. On your way to Estes Park, if you are taking Hwy 36 through Boulder, Oskar Blues in Lyons is a great place to check out, grab a good beer and food. Illegal Pete's has locations all around the metro and in Boulder for good atmosphere and street taco fare, good drinks etc. Snooze for breakfast / brunch if you get there early enough.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    ........Snooze for breakfast / brunch if you get there early enough.
    I'll second that. Usually they're lined up out the door. We hit the Larimer Street location in LoDo between rushes and got a table right away. About 8:30 as I recall. Super good food and great service.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's been a while since we've been back to visit family. However, we always hit the Mom & Pop Latino restaurants and the occasional fresh roadside market peddlers. Pretty soon the Green Chile will be out in mass quantities whether it be fresh picked or fresh roasted...especially toward Pueblo. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL