Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty issues Firebox is cracked

My dealer wants $125.00 for shipping cost. Does this sound right. anyone know ?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2017
    NO - unless you agree to have it shipped RIGHT NOW to you!  Just tell him you will wait until he receives his next shipment from his distributor so that you get FREE shipping. BTW watch over your shoulder when you turn your back on that dude!

Besides a cracked firebox means NOTHING! Many of us cook with our SEVERLY cracked fireboxes for months or even years before replacing them! My Large went 5 years and my Small is now on year 7 - in spite of having my new replacements on hand in my basement. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • russjet
    russjet Posts: 4
    Thanks, I really would like to change dealers, I spent a lot of money with this guy, not only did I buy a LGE we had him cater our wedding. I don,t like the way Im being treated, he never gets back to me .
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Here we go again.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Find a new dealer if you'd like. You never signed an exclusivity agreement. 
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    I am sure I am alone on this, but I wish BGE would just use regular sales outlets.  From my experience, the dealer network is horrible. Most sell eggs as a side service and not interested in investing non-profit hours into warranty.  So far I have run across three types of dealers:  1) you didn't buy the egg from them, so they don't care to provide any warranty service.  2) you did buy the egg from them, but they are not interested in providing warranty service after the sell.  3)  you must be doing something wrong if it cracked, so they are not interested in providing warranty service (this lady actually said if you are putting more than 2 coffee cans of charcoal in, it will cause cracks.  I asked how was the egg going to run 10+ hours on that and she looked at me and said "what in the world are you cooking that takes 10 hours").

This is just based on my experience getting the firebox replaced.  I contacted Bruce directly and it was taken care of but I had to pay the shipping to my house.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    If you're not happy, yelp the shjt out of them.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    That's a bunch of BS.  Find a new dealer, or email me the info.  I'll get one for you and ship it to you for the actual cost.  Not sure where you are in the US, but it'll be a helluva lot less than $125.
    Let me clarify my statement.  I paid shipping from BGE to my house, a total of $40 dollars.  So yes, a lot less than $125.  From my location it is a minimum of 45 miles one way to the nearest dealer.  I wish there was a reputable dealer around here, unfortunately there just are not.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    dsleight said:
    I am sure I am alone on this, but I wish BGE would just use regular sales outlets.  From my experience, the dealer network is horrible. Most sell eggs as a side service and not interested in investing non-profit hours into warranty.  So far I have run across three types of dealers:  1) you didn't buy the egg from them, so they don't care to provide any warranty service.  2) you did buy the egg from them, but they are not interested in providing warranty service after the sell.  3)  you must be doing something wrong if it cracked, so they are not interested in providing warranty service (this lady actually said if you are putting more than 2 coffee cans of charcoal in, it will cause cracks.  I asked how was the egg going to run 10+ hours on that and she looked at me and said "what in the world are you cooking that takes 10 hours").

This is just based on my experience getting the firebox replaced.  I contacted Bruce directly and it was taken care of but I had to pay the shipping to my house.
    My dealer must be an exception then. I take photos of the cracked part. Then I email those photos and a copy of my receipt to my dealer's distributor. Then the distributor ships replacement part(s) to my dealer. When I have time, I drive to my dealer and pick up the part(s). One time I was feeling lazy and paid my dealer $40 to deliver the new base for my XL and install it. Keep in mind my dealer does not have a driver's license or vehicle (Amish) so they had to pay a driver out of that $40 to drive 30 minutes to my house and wait while they changed it out and then drive them back.

Oh, wait, the only reason my dealer is an exception is because I have to email the photos to the distributor instead of the dealer. And the reason for that is because my dealer (Amish) doesn't have email.

Seriously, you just need to find another dealer. Like when your dealer sells you oregano and claims it's the real stuff.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    dsleight said:
    That's a bunch of BS.  Find a new dealer, or email me the info.  I'll get one for you and ship it to you for the actual cost.  Not sure where you are in the US, but it'll be a helluva lot less than $125.
    Let me clarify my statement.  I paid shipping from BGE to my house, a total of $40 dollars.  So yes, a lot less than $125.  From my location it is a minimum of 45 miles one way to the nearest dealer.  I wish there was a reputable dealer around here, unfortunately there just are not.  

I was talking to the original poster......saying that $125 was BS.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Legume said:
    Here we go again.
    Ease up. OP adhered to protocol by going to his dealer. It's a simple enough question.

@russjet it does sound like you need a new dealer. My base cracked a while back, and I had a new one in  the afternoon after calling the dealer in the morning. Also, as mentioned above, you could cook with a broken firebox for a long long time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    dsleight said:

This is hilarious.

When I was more of a Weberhead, I called them one time to register one of my grills. The woman at the other end started b!tching me out about how I was taking advantage of their system for my business or campsite , or some drivel like that, after seeing how many grills I had registered with them. Said something like there was no reason for one person to have that many grills. And I really don't have that many compared to  the collectors here and on other forums. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    I'm fortunate to be able to drive 30 minutes over the mothership. I'm in and out in a couple of minutes. Those guys are great. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I'm fortunate to be able to drive 30 minutes over the mothership. I'm in and out in a couple of minutes. Those guys are great. 
    You ****.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    For now....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    You didn't mention you only live 3 miles from the Mothership. Atlanta traffic is a b!tch.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DMW said:
    You didn't mention you only live 3 miles from the Mothership. Atlanta traffic is a b!tch.
    You just have to time it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    For now....
    Maybe 45 mins soon 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    This is the reason I bought my XL from my dealer (John Deere implements) only 1/4 mile from my house!  No shipping cost for lifetime warranty!!!
  • Agree the dealer makes the difference, saw a crack in my XL firebox this weekend.  Went to my dealer on Monday, walked out with one they had in stock.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    I've had 2 warranty issues. BGE responded immediately to both claims, and the local dealer, not the one I purchased from, has been wonderful. They add it to the order list and call me when it arrives. I've never been charged a penny, but buy all my supplies from them and offered to be a referral if there are any inquiries.
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Yeah, good dealers make all the difference.  I've had two warranty issues in the 20 years I've been Egging.  When my firebox cracked, the dealer told me up front that: "If you want it tomorrow I'll have to charge for the shipping, or if you can wait a couple weeks I can piggy back it for free."  I opted to wait and eventually, 3 years later, replaced the broken firebox.  On the second issue (flaking on the dome of my mini) I had to contact the mother ship to find out if it was a warranty issue or not  (It was) and I opted to piggy back that as well.  I'm fortunate in that there are two dealers within 5 miles and a slew more within 30.  And the regional distributor is only 2 hours away. 
  • RRP
    Yeah, good dealers make all the difference.  I've had two warranty issues in the 20 years I've been Egging.  When my firebox cracked, the dealer told me up front that: "If you want it tomorrow I'll have to charge for the shipping, or if you can wait a couple weeks I can piggy back it for free."  I opted to wait and eventually, 3 years later, replaced the broken firebox.  On the second issue (flaking on the dome of my mini) I had to contact the mother ship to find out if it was a warranty issue or not  (It was) and I opted to piggy back that as well.  I'm fortunate in that there are two dealers within 5 miles and a slew more within 30.  And the regional distributor is only 2 hours away. 
    Kelly...that you from Jeff City? If so, where you been, my man?
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    @Kelly Keefe I'm assuming the 3 year wait was your doing and it didn't take that long to come in.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I think what he means is he got the new firebox with the next shipment to his dealer (free shipping) and used the cracked one for 3 years before he trashed it and started using the new one. That is what I have done twice in 10 years.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    My firebox has been cracked for six years or so.  It doesn't bother me and it remains one piece when I remove it to clean the egg.  If it ever turns into two pieces I will seek replacement.  Until then, no harm, no foul.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    On my way right now to get my replacement Firebox.   2 yrs old.  
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • RRP
    nhk19 said:
    Granted that is what the warranty is for, but I sure wouldn't quit using that fire box until it broke in more pieces than that. To my way of thinking the stress in that firebox has now been relieved and just might last you for years!
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    RRP said:
    nhk19 said:
    Granted that is what the warranty is for, but I sure wouldn't quit using that fire box until it broke in more pieces than that. To my way of thinking the stress in that firebox has now been relieved and just might last you for years!
    I actually thought about that.  I think I will try to do so and just keep the new one in the basement.   While there though did buy my XL a friend.  Didn't want to waste an hour drive for nothing. 
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    Nothing wrong with that firebox. If it were a KJ, it would be in five pieces out of the box.