Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on Tri Tip

Options
got a 1lb 5oz tri tip that it 1-1/4" thick.   Should i reverse sear or hot/fast?  I usually reverse sear at 2".

Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.

Comments

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Reverse sear works, but I seem to have better luck by doing a traditional sear/roast.  I get the egg up to 500 and sear each side for 5 minutes.  Pull the tritip and throw in the plate setter which will drop the temperature and I shoot for 350.  Roast the tritip @350 for about 30 minutes or until desired temp.  Works every time.  I live in Cali so have been cooking tritip for years. No marinading, no sauce, just a good rub.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Reverse sear works, but I seem to have better luck by doing a traditional sear/roast.  
    Agree. Both methods produce excellent results. However as you have said, some folks seem to hit their exact target finish temp a little easier by doing a forward sear. You do have a little more control by searing first. 
    However I find that this is negated or almost nonexistent once the meat gets above about 2" thick. At thickness greater than this, the sear time is so short that not enough heat can be transferred to the center to have any noticeable affect. Thus with really thick meats, it's a wash either way. 
    But like yourself, I prefer to sear first on pieces 2" or less. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Calling @SoCalTim
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Reverse sear that bad boy treat it like a sirloin season with your favorite steak seasoning 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options
    I went with the forward sear as SoCal suggested.  Came out pretty good however slightly overdone for my taste.  Still juicy though.
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I am no Tri Tip expert but I cook one about every 3 weeks.  I have done both ways and for me, I prefer the reverse sear.  I just get more consistent results with the reverse sear.  I generally go indirect at 250 until an internal temp of 115-118.  Pull out the platesetter, crank up the heat to approximately 500 and then sear for a few minutes on each side.  Let rest 10 minutes and then slice and eat.

For my family's tastes, Carne Crosta is the favorite rub on tri tip.  
    XL BGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I just grill them until the center temp is 132. Then everyone gets something they like. Outer thinner parts are well done and center thick part is medium rare. As long as its cut against the grain even the well done parts are delicious. Wish I could get more tritip in the Midwest. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    It'll take a few tri tip cooks to get your 'taste' dialed in ... I'm a 'sear first' kinda guy who like his tri tip to finish @ 140 degrees.
    I also like my tri tip 'Santa Maria' style - salt, pepper and lotsa garlic and I use only Prime beef.
    This is a great looking 'tip' - Great job!

Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.