Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-5-12 Strip

Options
GreenWave36
GreenWave36 Posts: 132
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
I got my hands on a 2.6lb A-5-12 New York Strip.  I was going to reverse sear it.  Is there a better way to cook this?

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Yes.

Send it to me. 

That would be the best way to get that beauty cooked!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I'd say you're doing it the right way. Enjoy! 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No doubt the best way. Word of caution though, I see a lot of overcooked steaks in here. I suspect people are not pulling the meat early enough from the presear and the overcook occurs while trying to get a good char. I pull around 105. Looks fabulous btw. Bon appetit. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    No doubt the best way. Word of caution though, I see a lot of overcooked steaks in here. I suspect people are not pulling the meat early enough from the presear and the overcook occurs while trying to get a good char. I pull around 105. Looks fabulous btw. Bon appetit. 
    This. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GreenWave36
    Options
    would you guys cook this less than you'd cook other steaks?  how long do you sear for afterwards on each side (I was going to sear in cast iron given the marbling)?  worried 105 won't be done enough for my wife.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I typically sear thicker steaks for 60 seconds per side, rotating 90 degrees after 30 seconds for grill marks/presentation.

Thinner steaks I sear for 30 seconds per side.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I'd caveman it for the sear but that's just me. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If I could be confident of the environment it was handled in, I might skip the cooking step. Slice thin and enjoy raw. That looks amazing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    You could torch that sucker to 180 and it'd still be glorious. 

Little Rock, AR

• GrillSgt
    Options
    You have to continue to temp the steak while searing. If your wife likes a medium steak simply put hers on before yours and pull hers at 115-120. I reverse a lot of prime top sirloins 2" thick and I find it takes 25-30 minutes at 225-240 to get to 105. The sear takes 4-5 mins per side for a real good crust and that gets it to 125ish. No resting, slice and eat. If it is going to have to sit a bit take it off 5degrees less than target. I advocate using another source for the sear. I use the Weber and sometimes have used the gasser. You're just looking for char, they've already got the smoke from the egg. Hot as you can get it for the sear. 

I've got 3 tops drying in the fridge for tomorrow. 
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Where do you guys find steak of that quality?! 

So jealous! Really wanting to try some stuff that looks like that.

Brandon - Ohio

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of sous vide, but with such an expensive steak, I think I would hedge all my bets and do it SV. That to me, would be the safest route to go. It would come out technically perfect.

With that being said, I'm not sure SV would properly render the fat and liquify it in the steak. I know on a regular good quality ribeye it doesn't.

Second thought, are regular, careful traditional grilling might yield the best results. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    As pretty as that is I'd sprinkle a little salt and pepper on it and eat that thing like it sits. 

Little Rock, AR

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Damn...is that 10/90...lol
    Is there any meat in that marbeling?
    cant wait for more photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Damn...is that 10/90...lol
    Is there any meat in that marbeling?
    cant wait for more photos.
    Canner grade...............might as well make potted meat and move on with his life. 

Little Rock, AR

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited June 2017
    Options
    With all that marbling, if you sear it hot enough, it will create a crust pretty easily. I found cooking gold SRF strips that they almost self fry, for lack of a better term, when searing. That things is way more marbled than a gold. Excited to see how this turns out!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    More pictures below... did reverse sear at 250, pulled at 128 degrees... then seared for 75 seconds on each side in cast iron at 575...  it was great but incredibly rich,.. no one was able to eat more than 4 ounces...

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Holy sh!t. Thats all i can say. 

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That, right there, that is money. :clap:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks like you cooked it perfect. Great crust.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Between the before and the sliced after pic, I have no idea where all of that red came from, but it looks outstanding.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    YOU NAILED THAT!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Perfect execution. Nice job.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Looks good enough to eat. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Nice. I would be a little nervous with such a glorious cut. That is an absolute home run!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Some guys just know how to do life

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN