Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken thighs: skin up or down

Options
acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
Probably too late for help but I'll ask anyway. I have a dozen thighs on indirect with plate setter. Been on 10 mins now. I sauced them. There are at about 300 degrees skin side up. Should I flip them? When? Is temp OK? New to thighs. Thanks.

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Flip them for crispier skin.  No worries at 300F, cook until 185F or higher, per your liking.  About 1 hr total time, check doneness with a thermometer.

Sauce last 5 minutes if you like...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • acegg77
    Options
    Didn't know to sauce at end. I have a good Thermo Pen thermometer (wife's gift... tired of me burning stuff!) Thanks.

• acegg77
    Options
    OK, all done. They look good but I think I let a few get too hot... around 210 according to the thermo pen. 

OK, I put them on a platter and covered it with foil and used a toothpick to poke a lot of holes so steam can escape. We plan to eat them tonight (it is 9:30 AM now.) Will they be OK on the counter or should I put them in fridge when they cool off? (I will fridge or freeze them after dinner for sure.)

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Get them in the fridge.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• acegg77
    Options
    OK, I put them in the fridge. I didn't think bacteria would grow that fast and that they would be OK covered in foil for 8 or 9 hours. But per your instructions I put the covered platter in the fridge. Thank you.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Chicken is the one meat I wouldn't mess with, easy to heat them up.  Now that you know how long they take, you could always make then right before you want to eat, then no worry about refrigerating or leaving them out.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • acegg77
    Options
    I made them this morning because it is due to be 100+ degrees out today in N. California (Sacramento) as well as the rest of the week so I wanted to cook while it was cool... and we'll have chicken thighs to eat all week... assuming we don't get tired of it!