Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke vs ThermoQ

Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I am strongly considering purchasing the Smoke Probe because of it's good ratings.  However, I am having a hard time understanding the difference in the Smoke vs the ThermoQ.  The ThermoQ seems more professional and is considerably more expensive.  It would seemingly be good for a professional cook... and I am a total amateur.  But they both seem to do the same thing.

Am I understanding it correctly?  Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Yes, ThermoQ is their pro model. It uses Type K Thermocouple probes. There are many more probe options if needed. The unit is also splash proof.
    It can be ordered stand alone, bluetooth or wi-fi.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Thanks.. thought so.  I guess that I was getting the Thermo Q confused with the Digi Q
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I have the predecessor to the ThermaQ (I believe it was called the TW8060 - catchy name yes? :) ). It's a decade or so old. I got it mainly because I needed a probe that could withstand 1000°F heat. As @Photo Egg mentioned they use Type K probes and there are a lot more options available and can be far more durable.

For most of us I doubt that ThermaQ provides more capabilities than the Smoke. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2017
    Kjunbob said:
    Thanks.. thought so.  I guess that I was getting the Thermo Q confused with the Digi Q
    Digi Q is by another company, BBQ Guru, and it is a temp control for your Egg.
    Smoke unit only monitors temps, does not control temp.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I ordered the Smoke when my 2 YO Maverick tried to tell me that 250 done was 373 at the grate.  It has all of the features I need and, for the same price as a MK4 thermapen, it's a bargain in my mind (as small as it is)!  

Mine arrives Friday.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I've got the current ThermaQ, as well as the smoke.  The smoke is remote, so I use that most.  It is a great unit, but the probes are more delicate than those used on the ThermaQ (K style).  Both beat the Maverick hands down in build quality, imo.

Now there is a new ThermaQ being released this summer which will give it WIFI.  Since I have a bunch of the K probes already, I'll probably get the new unit and give my Smoke to my Dad.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Smoke for a second, just know the probes are a little more fragile.  Hope that helps.

Phoenix 
  • Another satisfied user of the Smoke here.   Wifi would be nice, but the remote works well for me and has reasonable range in/around my small yard and into the house. Probe wires tend to tangle up more than I like, but that's a minor annoyance. For the price, I'm very happy with the Smoke.     
    SATX--LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I thought the Smoke was available with different probe upgrades, am I mistaken?  
    Because of my lousy history with probes, this thread so far has me thinking ThermaQ instead of the Smoke....

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure