Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone ordered a handle from AMLWoodart? Where's Lawn Ranger when you need him?

Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 974
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to order a couple of handles from AMLWoodart http://www.amlwoodart.com/BGE-2012-handles.html. I need to replace my large egg's bands as theyre starting to show signs of wear and tear (14 years old). During my last trip to Georgia I picked up 2 new bands from the mothership. My current bands have gorgeous handles made for me from Lawn Ranger with my forum name Retired RailRoader and another with Big Baby.

Unfortunately Lawn Ranger has retired from the handle and tool business. My current handles do not work with the new bands. If anyone has ordered a handle from AMLWoodart I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm looking to order a couple of handles from AMLWoodart http://www.amlwoodart.com/BGE-2012-handles.html. I need to replace my large egg's bands as theyre starting to show signs of wear and tear (14 years old). During my last trip to Georgia I picked up 2 new bands from the mothership. My current bands have gorgeous handles made for me from Lawn Ranger with my forum name Retired RailRoader and another with Big Baby.

Unfortunately Lawn Ranger has retired from the handle and tool business. My current handles do not work with the new bands. If anyone has ordered a handle from AMLWoodart I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
    I thought Mike still did handles from time to time, but maybe he finally really did "retire". Have you contacted him? His handles were always my favorites. I wanted one with no lettering, just a knothole or two... got this. LOVE IT! =)

@Lawn Ranger

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    He has retired from TU and mileage tripping with Mickey and wives this week.   He is on Facebook now thanks to Spring Hen" encouragement.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Contact LawnRanger;
    gridlifter@gmail.com
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    mike still tinkers,  got a nice fillet knife surprise in the mail not long ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I've got 3 handles from Marty, 2 India Rosewood, 1 Black Walnut.

The two that sit out look terrible now, several years later, due to my lack of maintenance.  Those 2 are also cracked.  

Once these bite the dust I'm putting the BGE OEM ones back on.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Focker said:

The two that sit out look terrible now, several years later, due to my lack of maintenance.  Those 2 are also cracked.  

You make an excellent point. If you aren't willing or don't have the time to maintain them, they're  probably not a good idea. If they're always protected from the weather (and sunlight!), they should last a while. But dead wood and the elements don't play nice together.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker said:

You make an excellent point. If you aren't willing or don't have the time to maintain them, they're  probably not a good idea. If they're always protected from the weather (and sunlight!), they should last a while. But dead wood and the elements don't play nice together.
    Yep, I maintain various things, grill and smoker handles didn't make the cut. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Thanks I'll give Mike a shout
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You could drill holes in the band? Prolly not the beast advice, but thought I'd throw it out. Otherwise you will have to make them walk hangers. To many memories to not display in some fashion. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Where there's a will there's a way! My Mini came with one of those d*mn drop down bale handles which would drop down when the dome was open and get HOT! . So I made a replacement rigid handle and then had LawnRanger make me a handle to match my other three he made for me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    "Ron Baby"? =)

You're back from surgery! Hope it went well. Baby.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    "Ron Baby"? =)

Pat tells me she delivered my body along with my mind in the proverbial "space cadet" stage sometime around 4 today after stopping by Walgreens to get 3 prescriptions filled. Next thing I knew I woke up in our bed about 7 pm. My face is already swollen so I know I'll be quite bruised for the next few days.

trying to sip liquid through numb lips is a sloppy challenge! But the long range benefit to be able to have two sides of my mouth to chew on come mid-October will be worth the ha$$le! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    RRP said:
    "Ron Baby"? =)

Pat tells me she delivered my body along with my mind in the proverbial "space cadet" stage sometime around 4 today after stopping by Walgreens to get 3 prescriptions filled. Next thing I knew I woke up in our bed about 7 pm. My face is already swollen so I know I'll be quite bruised for the next few days.

trying to sip liquid through numb lips is a sloppy challenge! But the long range benefit to be able to have two sides of my mouth to chew on come mid-October will be worth the ha$$le! 
    Glad to hear it, my friend. I went for a root canal years ago and they made me sign a hold harmless agreement. If I died, it wasn't his fault. I fixed him! Lived to tell the tale!

Tell Pat to take good care of you! Baby.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited June 2017
    RRP said:
    "Ron Baby"? =)

Glad everything went well bud.
    Hoping the next few months go smoothiely.

Had two root canals recently.  I'd rather have my back go out.  The pain was almost, unbearable, waking me up at night.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    I took the original BGE handle, long one, and sanded the "Big Green Egg" off, stained it, then poly-coated it and it looks great!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!