Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did I buy?

Anyone ever use this stuff? I've used up the first bag of BGE lump that I bought from the dealer when I ordered the egg, and a couple bags of royal oak which seem to be available everywhere. Went to a local grill shop and this was what they had... Any good?  I'll be trying it out next weekend either way! 

JacksDad

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    No idea but you have the right approach-just make sure it's not the only lump you have around in case you sour on it right off.  Always good the experiment with the local offerings.
    BTW-hope this doesn't turn into a lump war thread.  Lump threads here are worse than religion or politics to everyone else  ;)  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Never heard of it.

I'd certainly buy a bag tho and give it a try. What was the price?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I'm not sure, but if it's not center cut lump, it's garbage.  :smirk:
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Not trying to start a war for sure. I was a little surprised that this was the only lump they had at this grill store, but figured I would try it out...  I don't remember the price. If it's any good, I'll go back for more and let people know. 

And yes, I have two bags of RO in the garage, just in case! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Half the fun of being on the forum is hearing reports back from folks who try new things. Thanks for being the Guinea pig on this one. EGG on!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    but is it "organic"???   lol
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    It comes in a full, 20-lb bag so I like it already.  
    :tongue:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Never heard of it, try it and keep us posted
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Doing some Googling, it appears this stuff is from Paraguay. Some good charcoal is coming from down yonder.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• High calorific value? I take it that translation was supposed to mean it burns hot?
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    rmr62 said:
    but is it "organic"???   lol
    At least it's all natural... :smiley:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    How cool you'll look at your dinner party when you can say, "Slowly smoked over Paraguan oak".   B)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Lump charcoal. Appears to be imported and incredibly, will not produce any sparks! Magic my man, pure magic!
  • JacksDad
    Okay, opened the bag and this is what it looks like:

I've honestly bough a total of 5 bags of lump charcoal in my life, so hard for me to accurately compare this to the couple of bags of RO I've used so far, but it does seem pretty uniform in size, lit easily enough, and smells nice so far... I've got a pork loin going with it right now, and some chunks of apple wood, we'll see how it turns out...

JacksDad

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Looks fine to me. Let's see that pork loin. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    You have done well, Grasshopper. Looks very good, although we need to know how the chips and dust are at the bottom of the bag....Egg on!
    I have had some very good luck with South American lump, only downside has been the chips and dust due to the thousands of miles of handling. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JacksDad
    Pork loin (will post more info and pics on my other thread)

The smoke flavor was perfect, but honestly I don't have enough experience to know if it was this lump, the apple chunks I put on tip for smoke, how long I cooked it, or some other crazy variable that I don't know about... But it was delicious! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    It looks like you bought lump charcoal called Loz Lazos.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    ^^This guy is a freaking genius. Listen to what he says. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    That is a damned fine looking roast. Only possible with LOS LAZOS! Greatest name ever, I wonder what it means?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    blind99 said:
    That is a damned fine looking roast. Only possible with LOS LAZOS! Greatest name ever, I wonder what it means?
    According to google translate: the ties
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    I have been buying this for months at my dealer in NJ....  They started carrying it when Wicked Good went AWOL for a bit.  (2) 20lb bags for $15.  Yes, that is correct.  It is really good as well.  No sparks, burns clean very quickly and neutral flavor.

Wicked Good is finally back in stock, but at just under $20 per bag, I will stay with the Los Lazos..

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    When ever I see a new brand of lump, unless its expensive and feels like crumbs in the bag I'll give it a shot. 
    My problem is after doing a little straitening up in my shed this past weekend I realized I have seven different brands of charcoal. Three I know well and four I need to try but never seem to find the right time to experiment. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have been buying this for months at my dealer in NJ....  They started carrying it when Wicked Good went AWOL for a bit.  (2) 20lb bags for $15.  Yes, that is correct.  It is really good as well.  No sparks, burns clean very quickly and neutral flavor.

Wicked Good is finally back in stock, but at just under $20 per bag, I will stay with the Los Lazos..

At $.38 a lb that sounds like a killer deal. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    I found this:

Hardwood lum charcoal 100% natural, made of Quebracho Trees, from a very scrub forest in Chaco- Paraguay (South America), the woods are selected to produce high quality charcoal with a specialized method of ovens burning, to have a very high Calorific Value (&114 cal/g), Fixed CArbon 89.06%, Ash content 1.4%, Humidity 5.35%, Long duration for more than 4hs., specifications which made our charcoal one the best for BBQ, Restaurants and Hookah. We are supplying already to Spain, Germany, Turkey, Lebanon and USA. 
    The packaging are in bags of 5kg, 10kg, or 20kg, either in Paper Kraft Bags or PPP raffia bags, as client required.
    The minimum order quantity is one 40' container, with 20 tons.
    We have a monthly production of 1,500 tons.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Not Rockwood and therefore disallowed by the BGE community. 

Docking you 5 BGE points for not using / promoting Rockwood.  B)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    They stamped "PREMIUM" on the package, and all you bought was a PREMIUM BAG OF $hit
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    thetrim said:
    They stamped "PREMIUM" on the package, and all you bought was a PREMIUM BAG OF $hit
    Love that movie. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    High calorific value? I take it that translation was supposed to mean it burns hot?

It's not just that, it's how much "heat" is in the bag.  Cal/g is metric for BTU/# (which makes no sense as a BRITISH thermal unit is not metric.)  A calorie is the amount of energy it takes to raise one gram of water by 1C, and a BTU is the amount of take to raise one pound of water by 1F.

The conversion factor is 1.8x.  The number they have above is a typo.  If the & is supposed to be a 7, then that's 7114 cal/g, thus 12800 BTU/#.  At 89% carbon, that makes sense as carbon is somewhere around 14800.  But that's figuring 89% which is hopeful.  We average 80-85%.....some higher, some lower.  Just depends which piece you pick up.  Higher the carbon, the more brittle, so if I went looking for a small piece that had that bluish shine to it (like a blackbirds feather), it could get that number toward 90%.  10 truly random samples are going to come back 10 different numbers.  This isn't a controlled environment with controlled product--it's going to vary--fire has a mind of its own.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm in the RW camp. I've tried MANY other brands. For the most part they all burn but, how clean, how much smoke and how long to get clean smoke. Some even after smoke is "clean" still give off an acrid flavor. I'll stick with what I know gives me consistent results. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL