Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning off the Grill Grates - What do you like to use?

I read an article not long ago about someone having serious medical issues related to a wire that broke off a wire brush and got into their food. The broken wire then got stuck in their throat and caused extended medical issues. That got me leery of using wire brushes. 

I switched to a grill scrubber and it started coming apart after 10 uses. Very disappointing. 

What do you prefer to use when cleaning the grill grates? 

Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
Fort Worth ,Texas

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Heat.

Sometimes balled up foil, sometimes a spatula. Mostly nothing but heat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    www.thegrommet.com/kitchen-bar/brushtech

I just saw this on a local TV show and they talked about that issue of the wire brush bristles.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    You can make one or buy one for $10+

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Heat.

Sometimes balled up foil, sometimes a spatula. Mostly nothing but heat.
    ^^this 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    WeberWho said:

I "made" some of these with old used cedar grilling planks, works well and I don't have to worry about any type of metal fragment being left behind.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I use 'The Grill Stone', it's chemical free and works like magic, it'll rip thru any and all grease & grime build-up fast. I often find them onsale @ Home Depot for a couple bucks.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I use heat then hit it fer a few minutes w/ a BGE grate brush....  It tok me several years to wear one out then I found a knock off at wallyworld on sale fer .99 and have used it fer a while.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I use my smokeware combo ash tool.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    The next fire is the main cleaner.  That and a putty knife if there are any chunkies that need removal.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    SoCalTim said:
    I use 'The Grill Stone', it's chemical free and works like magic, it'll rip thru any and all grease & grime build-up fast. I often find them onsale @ Home Depot for a couple bucks.

^^^^^^^^^ This +1
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    A ball of used foil and heat from lighting the grill.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    When main cook is done... Put on a cobbler while you eat the main meal and multi task with those hot coals (make desert and burn up the meat goo).  After cobbler is done let coals go a little longer while you eat desert. IF you have some crud left...use two prong BGE tool to knock the crud off (or putty knife) and put the egg to bed. By the time your fire is ready for your next cook the next night your grates should be beautiful.  No wire! No alluminum residue on the cooking surface
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Insert dog licking grate pic.  Cant remember who posts that. ...
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    kl8ton said:
    Insert dog licking grate pic.  Cant remember who posts that. ...
    That was a good one!!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Are you supposed to clean the grate?
    Thought that was where the flavor can from? 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I use a wire welding brush. The bristles on these are very large and well attached to the head. It doesn't take any pressure the get the gunk off the grate, and if a wire were to come out, it would be large enough to be seen and picked up. I have used these for years and have never had a problem.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • HCOJ
    HCOJ Posts: 14
    WeberWho said:

Just bout this at Costco for $12. I can't wait to use it.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Every now and again I hit it with a grille brush and wipe it off.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I use a wire brush, I'm not afraid to use it. With that being said, I do look to make sure there are not any wire bristles left on the grate.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    C4, and balled up aluminium foil. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    GregW said:
    I use a wire brush, I'm not afraid to use it. With that being said, I do look to make sure there are not any wire bristles left on the grate.

Ditto.

A simple visual inspection is all one needs to do.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I went on a mission last year to find the best cleaning tool. I bought everything I could find. For me the best tool is the grid gripper they give you when you buy the egg. It cleans under the grate as well to knock of those pesky big chunks of gunk. The rounded end coupled with a flat side works well. The price is great ("free"). It lasts a long time and I can leave it in the elements with little rusting. Leave a welders brush outside in the rain and it's toast. The best part is that it's multipurpose so that's one less accessory I have to deal with and store. 
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    I really like the looks of the new one form Smokeware and will definitely get one.....it's has multi purposes.
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Bought me the wood great scrape for the gasser years ago and made one from a piece of oak that was in the basement for years for the BGE when I got it last year, both work like a charm and are safe, between the heat from the grill and this I am all set AND you can leave them outside as they will never rust.....
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada