Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made ice cream enthusiast with a willingness to share.....

northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
As I approach local peach season....it is time for me to start getting my cream on. Peach and Strawberry have always been at the top of my list.  That said, I have always used a basic country style Vanilla Ice cream base that includes eggs, milk, sugar, whipping cream, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Any of you frozen dessert aficionado's out there have any recommended delights of the creamery you would be willin to share? Not looking to reinvent the frozen cream....just curious if there are some new approaches to try. I have had custard bases....and find them to be a nice change....but would be most interested in a mama's hand me down if they exist and are shareable.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Standing by...

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I first had basil ice cream at Chateau Souvrein vineyard in Sonoma, and as we had some huge basil plants at the time, I went to recreate it. 

This is the recipe I used, and it comes out amazing (especially with a little chocolate sauce).  The more basil, the better.

https://jwsfarm.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/by-special-request-basil-ice-cream-recipe/

Ingredients

• 2 cups milk, divided
    • 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
    • 2 cups whipping cream
    • 1 cup sugar, divided
    • 7 egg yolks
    • 1 teaspoon mint liqueur (optional)
    • Garnish: fresh basil sprigs

Directions

1. COOK 1 cup milk in a heavy saucepan over low heat until bubbly. Stir in 1 cup basil leaves, and remove from heat. Cover and let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
    2. PROCESS basil mixture in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids. Set aside.
    3. COOK remaining 1 cup milk, whipping cream, and 1/2 cup sugar in saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, just until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
    4. BEAT egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in basil mixture and, if desired, liqueur; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Cover and chill 4 hours.
    5. POUR chilled mixture into freezer container of a 1-gallon electric ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
    6. Pack with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour. Serve in frozen lemon shells, and garnish, if desired.

NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Man, I haven't made ice cream in a very long time, 25 years maybe.  When we were kids, we always made a batch with crushed up starlight mints - the peppermint ice cream was fantastic.  I've also had it with cinnamon redhots - also good.

One of my favorites as an adult was ginger - it was a vanilla base with a bunch of crystallized ginger chopped up and added in.  Now you've got me thinking, maybe a ginger peach would be good.  I think I'm going to order an ice cream maker.  Damn you.  Damn this forum.
  • Legume
    And if you want ideas, check these guys out

https://www.saltandstraw.com/

They're in Portland, OR and their ice cream is insanely good.  Best covfefe I've had.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Mmmm.  Peach ice cream is my favorite to make as well. 
    Phoenix 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Usually make a batch of strawberry this time of year. Nothing better than packing a bunch of fresh strawberries in frozen cream. Maybe a little chocolate on top. 
  • northGAcock
    Legume said:
    Man, I haven't made ice cream in a very long time, 25 years maybe.  When we were kids, we always made a batch with crushed up starlight mints - the peppermint ice cream was fantastic.  I've also had it with cinnamon redhots - also good.

One of my favorites as an adult was ginger - it was a vanilla base with a bunch of crystallized ginger chopped up and added in.  Now you've got me thinking, maybe a ginger peach would be good.  I think I'm going to order an ice cream maker.  Damn you.  Damn this forum.
    Good stuff brother. Just the type of ideas I was looking for. 

• northGAcock
    buzd504 said:
    I first had basil ice cream at Chateau Souvrein vineyard in Sonoma, and as we had some huge basil plants at the time, I went to recreate it. 

This is the recipe I used, and it comes out amazing (especially with a little chocolate sauce).  The more basil, the better.

https://jwsfarm.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/by-special-request-basil-ice-cream-recipe/

Ingredients

• 2 cups milk, divided
    • 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
    • 2 cups whipping cream
    • 1 cup sugar, divided
    • 7 egg yolks
    • 1 teaspoon mint liqueur (optional)
    • Garnish: fresh basil sprigs

Directions

1. COOK 1 cup milk in a heavy saucepan over low heat until bubbly. Stir in 1 cup basil leaves, and remove from heat. Cover and let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
    2. PROCESS basil mixture in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids. Set aside.
    3. COOK remaining 1 cup milk, whipping cream, and 1/2 cup sugar in saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, just until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
    4. BEAT egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in basil mixture and, if desired, liqueur; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Cover and chill 4 hours.
    5. POUR chilled mixture into freezer container of a 1-gallon electric ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
    6. Pack with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour. Serve in frozen lemon shells, and garnish, if desired.

I have got to try this. I have several variety's of Basil growing and have more than I can use. This will happen....thanks for sharing it.

• northGAcock
    Standing by...
    The Basil and ginger so far..... :)

• Legume
    That basil sounds really good.
  • northGAcock
    Bump

• Legume
    That basil still sounds really good.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Let me do some searching thru recipe files.  I am sure we may have something.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Bump

Sorry, just hungry.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    My father makes a 6 quart churn about 2-3 times a week during the summer. We have several peach orchards locally so peach and strawberry is his go to that he makes 99% of the time. His recipe is very basic with only 2 cans of sweet and condensed milk, a quart of either peaches or strawberries that has been sitting in the refrigerator with sugar on them, a gallon of milk and usually a little more sugar to taste. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    We used to gather around the basement drain with our hand-crank ice cream maker, lotsa rock salt, and snow/ice from the driveway.  Damn that stuff was good (just vanilla for us, but Mom always had a homemade chocolate sauce for a topping).
    I drove home two weeks ago to help Mom clean the patio, plant flowers etc and damn if she didn't make up some of that chocolate sauce for our nightly ice cream (store-bought, but who cares?).  She's 88!!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I like peach and strawberry ice cream, but the fruit pieces need to be very small. I dislike finding a big frozen chunk of fruit.

I haven't made any ice cream in a long time. Pistachio is always a favorite. I prefer it without the nuts. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Botch said:
    We used to gather around the basement drain with our hand-crank ice cream maker, lotsa rock salt, and snow/ice from the driveway.  Damn that stuff was good (just vanilla for us, but Mom always had a homemade chocolate sauce for a topping).
    I drove home two weeks ago to help Mom clean the patio, plant flowers etc and damn if she didn't make up some of that chocolate sauce for our nightly ice cream (store-bought, but who cares?).  She's 88!!  
    That’s what life should be about
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    GaBGE said:
    My father makes a 6 quart churn about 2-3 times a week during the summer. We have several peach orchards locally so peach and strawberry is his go to that he makes 99% of the time. His recipe is very basic with only 2 cans of sweet and condensed milk, a quart of either peaches or strawberries that has been sitting in the refrigerator with sugar on them, a gallon of milk and usually a little more sugar to taste. 
    How is the texture?  Without adding egg, I've found it hard to make it creamy. It's more icy.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    His is not icy.