Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Trucks, What do you drive??

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    dougcrann said:
    blasting said:

dougcrann said:
    02 Cheby 2500HD, Duramax with an Allison. Great truck. Just replaced the problematic injectors...other than that have had 0 problems in the 105k I have had it. 

@dougcrann. What motor do you have?  The 02 with an 8.1 / allison trans was the favorite of all tbe trucks I've owned.
    LB7 Duramax. Thing is known for its injector issues. I got the truck with 90k on it, went another 110k before the injectors went out. I replaced them myself. Installed a lift pump, and flashed the computer with Idaho Rob tunes. Best friend owns a transmission shop, he rebuilt the Allison when I got it. 
    First Chevy truck I own. Absolutely love the thing. Starting to get some squeaks and rattles, but I live on a rough dirt road. Need to spend some time, sure I will be able to silence it. 
    Truck is not without its problems. But they are not the trucks doing. One of them is the front wheel bearings. Just like damn near everything made the front bearings are of a sealed, hub nature. Original ones went 120k, now if I get 20k on them that is a lot. Not very difficult to change, but even with my sizeable discount at NAPA I am paying close to $200 A shot...
    If you have an Advance Auto Parts near you look into their online coupons. It's crazy what you can save. Go to dealcatcher.com and type in Advance Auto Parts in the search engine. Definitely worth checking out if you have one near you. (Example: Spend $100 and save $40) 
    Order online with in store pickup. Use code P20 to get 20% off up to $50. I bought an Optima Yellow top battery the other day... $50 off. 
    I did my front discs and pads a few summers ago on my truck for $60 with their coupons. Hard to beat their pricing
    Now if I could just find a deal like that on Yamaha engine parts and Yamalube 
    They sell yamalube like its liquid gold...
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    @Toxarch what kind of gas mileage are you getting??
    LBGE
    AL
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Stock I'd get 17. After all the other stuff done to it, 14. I don't drive a whole lot so not a big deal. Only problems I've had in 10 years is a water pump covered by warranty and recently the fuel sending unit is going out. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• TideEggHead
    Toxarch said:
    Stock I'd get 17. After all the other stuff done to it, 14. I don't drive a whole lot so not a big deal. Only problems I've had in 10 years is a water pump covered by warranty and recently the fuel sending unit is going out. 
    Thanks, I am getting about the same. If I get 17 on the interstate I am doing good.

LBGE
    AL
  • TideEggHead
    @JohnnyTarheel Nice, mine has 162k on it and yes, best vehicle I've ever had! I want to like the Tacoma, I just wonder if the back seats are big enough for longer trips.
    LBGE
    AL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    shtgunal3 said:

Here is my old square body Dodge. My 2005 Quad can Dodge is behind it. 
    i really miss the rain gutters over the doors and front vent windows
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have no complaints about my '16 Ram 2500 Megacab with a 6.4 Hemi.  The Cummins diesel would have been nice but that's another $8K and I can buy a lot of fuel for towing with those savings.

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125

I have no complaints about my '16 Ram 2500 Megacab with a 6.4 Hemi.  The Cummins diesel would have been nice but that's another $8K and I can buy a lot of fuel for towing with those savings.

Love the MOPAR
  • 94 F150 bought new. 147,000 miles. 300 six cylinder.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    94 F150 bought new. 147,000 miles. 300 six cylinder.

Super clean truck!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Jeremiah said:
    @DoubleEgger the aluminum so far sucks. I'm really hoping there's improvement or they scrap the idea completely. 
    I've heard nothing but bad things about the aluminum. 
    What have you heard, I can't find much on line about them having problems.  The bottom photo I think I have seen before and it looks like someone took a sawzall to it.  I can't see a weld coming about that easily 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Jeremiah said:
    @DoubleEgger the aluminum so far sucks. I'm really hoping there's improvement or they scrap the idea completely. 
    What have you heard, I can't find much on line about them having problems.  The bottom photo I think I have seen before and it looks like someone took a sawzall to it.  I can't see a weld coming about that easily 
    i believe the aluminum is mostly glued on now, not welded
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MikeM53
    MikeM53 Posts: 3
    2017 Tundra Limited 4X4 Crew Max.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Jeremiah said:
    Its the collision industry that hates them. Repairing them is nearly impossible. Aluminum fails differently than steel, ripping and buckling in ways that just simply aren't safe. I won't be surprised if Ford not backed into a major recall/ buyback. I had a photo of another f150 that's just scary, but I can't find it now.  Fishless, they are welded and glued. Same technology that's used on steel vehicles, where as its a two part epoxy that reacts to the heat from the resistance welding. Difference is the aluminum tears whereas the steel does not. 

I am a Ford guy, own an 09 and a 95. Hell my late father was a Ford engineer. But I'll never own an aluminum truck. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    I grew up a Chevy man. In 2000 I was in the market for a new truck and was blown away by the roominess of the Dodge Ram, so I bought it. 

Loved that truck, but alas it was totaled in 2005 by a drunk driver as it was sitting parked in the street in front of my house. So I bought a 2005 Dodge Ram with the hemi. 

Last fall as the truck approached 220,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance done to it, I was concerned about it being trustworthy on long trips ( I don't like driving SWMBO Yukon), so I went shopping for a new truck. When I test drove the Ram, I was dissapointed to see they had reduced the leg room and the seat sat much higher than my old one (makes a big difference when your 6'5" and 250 plus like me). 

So I went and drove all the other makes and settled on the Silverado. Absolutely love this truck. More room than all the others. Still drive the Ram to work. But the Silverado is really comfortable on long trips. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Whatever truck you do decide to go with, be it a Ford, Chevy, Toyota or whatever, I highly recommend putting in some floor liners. I bought mine used, like I said, and it didn't have any floor mats in it. Having two dogs and a two year old plus it being a truck, I opted to go with the full WeatherTech floor liners front and rear. Perfect fit and couldn't be happier. No need to worry about mud, or dirt or dog hair or the kid spilling whatever in the back.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    @JohnnyTarheel Nice, mine has 162k on it and yes, best vehicle I've ever had! I want to like the Tacoma, I just wonder if the back seats are big enough for longer trips.
    I understand your concern with back seats. From a comfort standpoint Chevy seats can't be beat..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Picked up 2016 GMC 3/4 ton a couple of months ago, loving it, pulls the travel trailer with ease.

That right there is what I want. Just gotta decide between the duramax or gas burner. I tend to keep trucks a long time so want something to last. 

Little Rock, AR

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Griffin said:
    Whatever truck you do decide to go with, be it a Ford, Chevy, Toyota or whatever, I highly recommend putting in some floor liners. I bought mine used, like I said, and it didn't have any floor mats in it. Having two dogs and a two year old plus it being a truck, I opted to go with the full WeatherTech floor liners front and rear. Perfect fit and couldn't be happier. No need to worry about mud, or dirt or dog hair or the kid spilling whatever in the back.
    I agree with recommending floor liners. I have WeatherTech liners in my truck. While they have saved the carpet, they have rubbed the door panel and warped some so they do not sit properly in the truck. Since they are second hand, WeatherTech won't warranty them. Even if they would, I would never buy another set of WeatherTechs again. I would much rather get the Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners. They channel the water better, rather than having a big puddle and they are a rubber material so no warping and no rubbing like the hard plastic ones do. Much better floor liners for the same price.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Jeremiah said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Its the collision industry that hates them. Repairing them is nearly impossible. Aluminum fails differently than steel, ripping and buckling in ways that just simply aren't safe. I won't be surprised if Ford not backed into a major recall/ buyback. I had a photo of another f150 that's just scary, but I can't find it now.  Fishless, they are welded and glued. Same technology that's used on steel vehicles, where as its a two part epoxy that reacts to the heat from the resistance welding. Difference is the aluminum tears whereas the steel does not. 

I am a Ford guy, own an 09 and a 95. Hell my late father was a Ford engineer. But I'll never own an aluminum truck. 
    Just spent several months with Ford research to develop SOPs for the repair of corroded aluminium. The recent models have a new alloy which seems to help. But the metal remains more brittle than steel will ever be.
    I totally agree with you @Jeremiah, not enough mileage or fuel savings for me to risk family safety.
    That is why I still drive an older Expedition, one of the last trucks, with excellent metal treatment, pre copper/aluminium alloy panels.
    I hope to keep it for a very long time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Jeremiah said:
    My Lotus had a glued ali tub and Aston use the same technology. It makes a very strong and light centre structure, but one that is almost impossible to repair.
  • TideEggHead
    @Toxarch I will definitely check out the husky liners!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    YukonRon said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Jeremiah said:

Just spent several months with Ford research to develop SOPs for the repair of corroded aluminium. The recent models have a new alloy which seems to help. But the metal remains more brittle than steel will ever be.
    I totally agree with you @Jeremiah, not enough mileage or fuel savings for me to risk family safety.
    That is why I still drive an older Expedition, one of the last trucks, with excellent metal treatment, pre copper/aluminium alloy panels.
    I hope to keep it for a very long time.
    I too, am in that camp bud.
    When mechanics and your body guy compliment your vehicle, makes you feel like you're doing the right thing by rebuilding down the road, maintaining a solid truck body.  You know by just shutting a door or tailgate or hood.

Floormats are original, HD, and fit perfect.
    Pull them out and pressure wash, Aerospace 303, as needed.

Oh yeah, and I drive on gravel roads without flaps.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Focker said:
    1997 GMC Sierra S-15.  235K or so on the clock.  Mint.  Only change to this baby is the windows have been tinted to 50% opacity.  Everyone wants this thing off me now.
    Nice, clean, truck!
    They don't make 'em like that anymore that's for sure.

Plan on going 30%(max here in IL) on my side windows soon.  Got a friend of a friend that will do it for $50.
    @Focker The law prefers less than 50% on driver & passenger windows in Ontario but 'ya can't always get what ya want.'  Hope you have air in your truck, i don't and was surprised how much warmer the cab is now.  Guess I should have paid attention on science class.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Focker said:
    1997 GMC Sierra S-15.  235K or so on the clock.  Mint.  Only change to this baby is the windows have been tinted to 50% opacity.  Everyone wants this thing off me now.
    Nice, clean, truck!
    They don't make 'em like that anymore that's for sure.

Plan on going 30%(max here in IL) on my side windows soon.  Got a friend of a friend that will do it for $50.
    @Focker The law prefers less than 50% on driver & passenger windows in Ontario but 'ya can't always get what ya want.'  Hope you have air in your truck, i don't and was surprised how much warmer the cab is now.  Guess I should have paid attention on science class.
    Thanks, good point, never really thought of that.
    I have working air, with the two large windows and back window slider, rarely use it.  I prefer the windows down and wind, almost like @fishlessman's drop top Dodge.  B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Randall_Lee
    Randall_Lee Posts: 158
    Toxarch said:
    Griffin said:
    I agree with recommending floor liners. I have WeatherTech liners in my truck. While they have saved the carpet, they have rubbed the door panel and warped some so they do not sit properly in the truck. Since they are second hand, WeatherTech won't warranty them. Even if they would, I would never buy another set of WeatherTechs again. I would much rather get the Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners. They channel the water better, rather than having a big puddle and they are a rubber material so no warping and no rubbing like the hard plastic ones do. Much better floor liners for the same price.
    Agree, got lucky truck came with GMC version of Weather Tech fulls front and back.
    First diesel I've own, driven a bunch at work, love it until you hit the pumps and it goes from the old 23-25gal gas to 37gals now.
    Niceville, Fl
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    2014 Chevy...only thing done was a 2.5 leveling kit and 34's.  Gas mileage went down 3-4 MPG!!!

Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • JerWel88
    JerWel88 Posts: 6
    XL, MiniMax - Merritt Island, Fl