Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Indirect Cook, Meatloaf

Options
I decided to try meatloaf on our MiniMax. I used the same recipe that I use when baking in the oven. My mother always added grated carrots to her meatloaf, and I do that as well. It tends to keep the meatloaf moist, add some veggie nutrition, etc. The pan I used was just a $7.99 grill pan from Bed Bath & Beyond. I did not use any sauce or basting, even though the finished product would appear to have a glaze! These looked beautiful and were very tasty. May cook them a bit less next time...I wasn't thinking about the fact that they were smaller in size and probably 50 minutes at 375 ish would have been plenty of time. Also, I should have spun the pan around since it seemed that the two in the back got a bit charred. But, all in all, a tasty meal that I will do again real soon.

Normal, IL 
Minimax

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Beautiful cook and love the table. I also put carrots along with onion and celery (usually hit them in the food processor) and not quite as visible as yours. I would tear into your meatloaf. What did you glaze yours with (assuming it's not a family secrete)?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • itzann
    itzann Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you, @northGAcock. Actually, there is no glaze! It just appears to have a glaze. I just shaped the loaves, and put them on to cook and that is how they turned out. The recipe is pretty basic...ground chuck, eggs, milk, regular breadcrumbs and panko breadcrumbs, diced onion, grated carrot and seasonings (nothing unusual, just Lawry's Seasoned salt, garlic powder, S&P)
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Real nice cook. Love Egg'ed meatloaf. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    itzann said:
    Thank you, @northGAcock. Actually, there is no glaze! It just appears to have a glaze. I just shaped the loaves, and put them on to cook and that is how they turned out. The recipe is pretty basic...ground chuck, eggs, milk, regular breadcrumbs and panko breadcrumbs, diced onion, grated carrot and seasonings (nothing unusual, just Lawry's Seasoned salt, garlic powder, S&P)
    Wow.....sure does look like a glaze. I always ask as I find it interesting the many different glazes people use. Again, thanks for sharing and something I like to do with mine. I add a little salsa (Pace) for moisture and flavor. Comfort food at its best.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    That does look good. Another thing I can try.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    meat loaf is almost always a winner. well done
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    itzann said:
    Next time use the exact same recipe but use 1/2 of ground pork as well.

So if you have 2lbs chuck, throw in 1lb ground pork. If you have 3lbs chuck throw in 1.5lbs ground pork! It really adds an extra layer of flavor and really kicked my meatloafs up a notch. 

Yours looks great though!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• itzann
    Options
    Thank you for the nice comments, everyone. And for the suggestions for future meatloafs! 
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks wonderful!  I'm sorry my wife isn't crazy about meatloaf because I'd make it a lot more often.  Great stuff, especially on the Egg!  Never would have occurred to me to make 4 small ones instead of one big one, but you probably got lots more smoky goodness that way -- Looks like you did a great job!
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Looks wonderful!  I'm sorry my wife isn't crazy about meatloaf because I'd make it a lot more often.  Great stuff, especially on the Egg!  Never would have occurred to me to make 4 small ones instead of one big one, but you probably got lots more smoky goodness that way -- Looks like you did a great job!
    I like that idea too.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Beautiful job! Did you you use a raised setup? It looked raised to me.
    Judy in San Diego
  • itzann
    Options
    Thank you! @Judy Mayberry I guess it was raised a bit. I had the woo ring in there to hold the ceramic stone, and then the cooking grid perched on top of the woo ring. And the meat loaves were placed in that round pan with holes which sat on the cooking grid.  I had a drip pan placed on the stone. I like that the fat drained off of the meatloaf...in a regular oven my meatloaf would kind of simmer in the fat!
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • MSUladyegghead
    Options
    Meatloaf sandwich is my favorite!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Those look fantastic. I like your table as well.  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX