Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA: Rockwood Now Available in Chicago, Michigan, and More

Public service announcement re Rockwood's increased availability.  Before today, it was next to impossible to get Rockwood within a reasonable drive of Chicago. Before today, no Ace in Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan could get the stuff. But now:

I have no affiliation with Rockwood. I've never even tried it. I've just been looking for it for a while because I know the owner is an Egghead and a forum guy, and I always want to support my 'local' small business. Looking forward to my first cook with it. 
Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
XLBGE, MiniMax BGE

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Yeah, it was kind of odd how we expanded, and the map doesn't have a huge hole in the middle anymore......four more puzzle pieces to fit in.  We get a ton of web hits and requests from Chicago, and only had 3 dealers up there.  I'm really happy we finally have product readily available in a city that's only 4.5 hrs away. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
      I'm really happy we finally have product readily available in a city that's only 4.5 hrs away. 
    I'm very happy for you!

Now if BGE can just get a better foothold in Chicago for your sake! In the 17 years I've been an egger and active on the forum I find it strange that eggfests there are virtually nonexistent!  Back over 10 years ago the sister of then "heir-apparent"  to BGE was a dealer in Oswego outside of Chicago. She held two eggfests before closing up shop. Then there was a non-participant "eggfest" thing with only professional chefs cooking at a steakhouse called Carmichaels.

Good Luck, Jonathan!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    RRP said:
      I'm really happy we finally have product readily available in a city that's only 4.5 hrs away. 
    I'm very happy for you!

Now if BGE can just get a better foothold in Chicago for your sake! In the 17 years I've been an egger and active on the forum I find it strange that eggfests there are virtually nonexistent!  Back over 10 years ago the sister of then "heir-apparent"  to BGE was a dealer in Oswego outside of Chicago. She held two eggfests before closing up shop. Then there was a non-participant "eggfest" thing with only professional chefs cooking at a steakhouse called Carmichaels.

Good Luck, Jonathan!

Yeah same here.....30-something egg dealers and only one Egg Fest.  It's always a good one!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    RRP said:
    I'm very happy for you!

Good Luck, Jonathan!

Yeah same here.....30-something egg dealers and only one Egg Fest.  It's always a good one!
    It's a lot of work a coordination. I just don't think many want to deal with the extra effort. Some of the great fests down South make it look easy, but it isn't.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @stlcharcoal my marriage thanks you! The wife has been less than thrilled about the 6 packs of charcoal coming from firecraft!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    blind99 said:
    @stlcharcoal my marriage thanks you! The wife has been less than thrilled about the 6 packs of charcoal coming from firecraft!
    Why? You making her carry the 120 pound package in by herself? you BRUTE!!! =);)=)
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    I'm very happy for you!

Good Luck, Jonathan!

It's a lot of work a coordination. I just don't think many want to deal with the extra effort. Some of the great fests down South make it look easy, but it isn't.
    I hear you, Pete. By not being a dealer and all that I have NO clue how much corporate $upport you guys get from $ponsoring an eggfe$t, but apparently it may not be much, huh? As I told you before - after 14 years and being one of the longest, continuously running eggfests in the USA H&P in Peoria called it quits this year. I guess each dealership has to decide the value produced in the effort. Anyway...good luck for yours on June 18th at Sterling, IL - just an easy drive from the Windy City!!!
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    stcharcoal what are the plans for getting into Wisconsin? 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    I'm very happy for you!

Good Luck, Jonathan!

I hear you, Pete. By not being a dealer and all that I have NO clue how much corporate $upport you guys get from $ponsoring an eggfe$t, but apparently it may not be much, huh? As I told you before - after 14 years and being one of the longest, continuously running eggfests in the USA H&P in Peoria called it quits this year. I guess each dealership has to decide the value produced in the effort. Anyway...good luck for yours on June 18th at Sterling, IL - just an easy drive from the Windy City!!!
    Thanks Ron. Sorry to hear the local event is mo more for you guys and gals. The hard part for us small time operations is matching up the  number of cooks with the packages sold.  It's just a delicate dance. I cannot image the work that goes into the large events.  Whoa!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Yeah, it was kind of odd how we expanded, and the map doesn't have a huge hole in the middle anymore......four more puzzle pieces to fit in.  We get a ton of web hits and requests from Chicago, and only had 3 dealers up there.  I'm really happy we finally have product readily available in a city that's only 4.5 hrs away. 
    Is the Oswego Ace Hardware going to carry Rockwood? They are a 5 min drive for me.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Just went to the Ace Hardware in Ozark, MO. and they didn't have it in stock but ordered me some from the warehouse. First time I will be using it so I hope it is as good as everyone says it is.
  • stlcharcoal
    dstearn said:
    Is the Oswego Ace Hardware going to carry Rockwood? They are a 5 min drive for me.
    There's no way for us to tell who is going to bring it in and stock it, but any of them can order it and have it in a few days.  It comes on the same truck as all their other stuff, so it's not costing them or you any more money for special order.

MAKE SURE you sign up for Ace Rewards.  They send out those coupons all the time and they're perfect for the charcoal.
  • stlcharcoal
    jrb06 said:
    stcharcoal what are the plans for getting into Wisconsin? 

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northern Iowa, and North Dakota are next......then all the SW & PNW states.  California will be last because we just had bags printed--the next run will have all the Prop 65 language on them.