Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp burn off ?

Options
I am sure a few people out there have done this so I must ask a couple of questions  in regards to this.
During this process it is supposed to clean the Egg a lot like cleaning an oven right? if that is so how often is this supposed to be done? Has anyone else out there found that that there lid and base of the Egg become misaligned front to back or even side to side? Is this misalignment normal? I am talking about a quarter to a half inch. With this in mind when should the gasket be replaced? As always will appreciate all advise and proceed as directed. Regards

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Depending on the egg and hinge vintage, you can simply close the egg, loosen the band bolts and then reposition the dome so it is aligned. Have your significant other or a friend hold the dome in place while you reposition the bands and retighten, the torque is 125in-pounds for my MBGE, large is the same I think. 
    Clean burn has not been done since the first year I had the egg, cleanliness is next to compulsive behaviour disorder..... =) Have not had the firebox or ring out in five years, rake the ash out of the space between base and firebox and the bottom, I suggest you leave a small bit of ash in the bottom as an insulator. 
    The occasional pizza will clean all you need and a quick rub of the dome inside with a hard bristle brush or ball of foil will peel off the larger lumps. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252
    Options
    Thank you Skiddymarker will try that once it cools
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,472
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As an A's fan, I will endorse almost all of the above from @Skiddymarker except the part about the non-removal of the fire box and ring.  I do that to clean around the base of the fire box to ensure air-flow for L&S cooks which has no bearing on your question.
    You really have to crank it up to create a heat generated mis-alignment.  But it can happen.  I would be more concerned with the elasticity of the bands and then opening the dome.  Gravity leading to the dome deciding to take flight-not a good thing.  
    Your call- with most things BGE there are many choices and options, grab one and go.  Change it up the next time.  FWIW-
    BTW- never have done a clean burn by design.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @lousubcap - as an A's fan i agree with whatever you say.....
    My home made rake (was designed to hold a garage door opener to the ceiling on my garage) reaches inside MBGE and the air holes are never plugged. Air flow is always great - as you always say, YMMV depending on the egg in question. 
    When you are considering a move to 4th in the AL west as an improvement, maybe my advice is suspect.....
    Heading to Seattle to be disappointed in person just after Independence Day to catch a live game. Have a point ready to go for tomorrow - add another convert to your list!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Skiddymarker -  You lucky (?) SOB.  Enjoy the game and as you are beyond aware, bring your wallet.  Been a couple of decades since I witnessed baseball in Seattle, but at that time the concessioners did offer beer from the GWN.  You know how that deal goes...
    I only wish I could score straight-up points.  Better to be lucky than good any day.  Have fun with the cook and eats.   You will be justly rewarded.  Go A's.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252
    Options
    Hey its not that I have anything against the "A's" just the last time i saw the play was against the Giants and was living in Pinole at the time. You remember how game 3?started?
  • Skiddymarker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No, I'm still shaking............shaking....shaking.....
    Very few things in life can make the earth move - The A's are among those choices!

• lousubcap
    Options
    Yup-but I was watching/listening in the Seattle area when that happened.   Definitely a "where were you when'" as I had family in the immediate area-office in downtown SF and another on BART.  
    Apologize for the hi-jack but it's A's baseball and they may never get this much press for the remainder of the year. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    Did a clean burn on my large tonight, blew the lid right off. 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    The gasket is still there, is that a Rutland?..... =)=)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    Haha, this is the larges first gasket change since getting it 8 years ago. I had just finished torching it with the weed burner and scraping the remaining dust with a razor blade. Decided to light the gasket filled lump on fire without the dome on.