Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Brisket. Pic Heavy

Options
Hello Fellow Eggheads,

I am doing my first brisket, real brisket, today/tonight. My last attempt was a small packer, it turned out ok. The point was delicious but the flat was very dry. 

Last night I trimmed it up rubbed it with salt, pepper and garlic, equal parts and put it back in the fridge.

This time I bought a 17.5# prime packer from costco and wet aged it for 60 days. 

I am cooking on a LBGE at 225 with fresh FOGO and Red Oak Chunks. I will adjust the temp tonight when I get home around 9:00 

The brisket went on at 2:00 and I am hoping to eat around 2 tomorrow afternoon, we have family coming over for my son's 1st birthday. Wish me luck. 
Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Looks like you're going to be eating good with that Brisket!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Happy belated brisket day! Enjoy the ride. 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
     Calling @lousubcap and @YukonRon - they were my brisket guides on my first. Looks like you're off to a good start and have wisely given yourself lots of time. First I did was about 15 lbs pre-trimmed and was on the egg for 19 hours (running naked) - and you definitely want BPTC time. Enjoy the overnight cook!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    Good luck on your first brisket.  My first was last weekend, and had similar results to your initial packer.  Point came out great, flat was a little dry for my liking.  While I was initially discouraged I'm ready to get back on the horse.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Wow. I'm surprised his script hasn't sent off alarms on his phone and emails. The word brisket was mentioned and it's been over an hour. Where is @lousubcap

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    BJM2932 said:
    Good luck on your first brisket.  My first was last weekend, and had similar results to your initial packer.  Point came out great, flat was a little dry for my liking.  While I was initially discouraged I'm ready to get back on the horse.  
    Yep. Keep back at it. 

Everyone can make a moist point. What sets you apart is nailing the flat, since the point is always good.  Get back on the horse and keep going until you get it. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    @Brason  and @bhedges1987 -  Wasn't wired for any alerts ( ;) ) while cruising in a plane.  Given you have one round under your belt I am sure you learned from that adventure.  Absent anything else, just make sure to foil protect any of the protein that may be outside your heat deflector.  You definitely have enough time to get this finished and have at least a couple of hours (or more) FTC.  Hopefully you have a controller to ensure you maintain the low temp as anything below around 240*F or so for me can become a challenge.  (Sometimes it just runs along and others-not so fast).  
    For the future, you can easily run in the 260-280*F dome temp range and figure around 1hr/lb.  The higher temp is more stable on my LBGE and has no impact of the outcome other than duration of cook.  
    Fire away should you have any ??-many here are willing to help.  Above all, have fun.  Remember, the cow drives the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Just wait for the point to be 205!  ;);)
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I just got back from a work event. I checked and it has been running at 215-225 the whole time. I just kicked it up to 253 grate temp. The flat is temping at 172 right now. It seems to be going a lot faster than I thought it would. Hopefully this brisket slows down or I'll be eating brisket in the middle of the night by myself. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Brason
    Options

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Brason
    Options
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Brason
    Options
    Ok. I am sure everyone is sleeping. I put this brisket on at 2:00 this afternoon. The whole flat seems to be probing like buttah after only 12 hours. I am so confused. Is it possible that because it was wet aged for 60 days that it cooked so fast? The temp has been between 225 and 250 the whole time. Now it seems to be done 12 hours early. What am I supposed to do if I want to serve it in 12 hours? I am thinking about wrapping it in butcher paper and putting it in the oven at 200. Is it going to dry out? Is there a better way to hold this brisket for the next 12 hours?

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2017
    Options
    14 hours isn't odd...even at 225.  Every brisket is different, so they're done when they're done.

NO!!!!  Don't put it in the oven at 200.  How low does your oven go?  All my briskets are held in the oven set on warming feature at 145 degrees.  Anything between 145 and 170 works.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    Oh, I've held briskets 12 hours using the warm feature.
  • Brason
    Options
    Thank you @cazzy My oven only goes as low as 170. Is that the best method? Wrapped in butcher paper and in the oven at 170

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Brason
    Options
    Well I pulled it at 2:45am. I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it ina 145 oven. Hopefully it holds until 2:00. I'll post sliced picks when I slice. Thanks to everyone for looking.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Brason
    My son and I did 2 briskets on a cook this week. Both were Costco Primes, both, after trimming went on at about 12 pounds. They were on about 14 hours at 225F to an IT of 190F. Removed from the grill, wrapped in BP, and placed in a warmed up, nicely insulated cooler, double wrapped in warm towels. We let them sit for just over 12 hours. When we pulled them from the cooler, they were still warm, and surprisingly juicy. I do not think I will put myself in a position to need to do this in this manner again, but, I now know it is possible to do so.
    Good luck with your brisket. No matter how great it is, save some to make chili. It is the best chili you will ever have. 
    Oh yeah, welcome to wallet genocide. The least costly aspect of owning a BGE is the initial purchase. It is worth every penny.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • cazzy
    Options
    Brason said:
    Well I pulled it at 2:45am. I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it ina 145 oven. Hopefully it holds until 2:00. I'll post sliced picks when I slice. Thanks to everyone for looking.

Perfect!  You'll be fine!