Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will starting a fire with propane impart a flavor to the food?

Options
tjh12glen
tjh12glen Posts: 3
edited May 2017 in EggHead Forum
I've been using a propane torch to start the Royal Oak lump.  Will the propane leave a flavor on the cook?  I can't imagine it's possible but you all are the experts.

I await your wisdom.

Thanks, Tom, in GA, starting fast and cooking slow.

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Not a chance. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    No sir!  Bring the fire!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Buffalo chips, maybe....propane not so much. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Fire it up and continue to go slow.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    No, only putting your food on the Egg before you get your lump stabilized and burning clean will give you an off taste.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's fine, but... you're already using it. Does it? =) 

If you are expecting some unpleasant tastes or smells, you may not be letting the charcoal burn long enough to burn off the VOCs (volatile organic compounds). The white smoke needs to dissipate. Once it does, hold your hand over the top vent (briefly) and then smell your hand. Then smell your hand. If it has a nice smoky aroma, then put the food on. If it smells bad, so will your food, so wait a bit longer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options

Flint, Michigan
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I use my Gas Grill side burner to light a chimney of lump- how much I light depends on the temp I want but no it doesnt affect taste.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • tjh12glen
    tjh12glen Posts: 3
    Options
    Carolina Q,  thanks.  I think you identified the problem.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Royal Oak TENDS to take a little longer to burn clean than other brands.  If you see any uncarbonized pieces remove them before lighting as that will help.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    tjh12glen said:
    Carolina Q,  thanks.  I think you identified the problem.
    Hey man, welcome aboard.  Glad you're pointed in the right direction now. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Options
    Kind of on topic. What is the procedure most do when getting fire ready for grilling. Do you light and keep hood open until charcoal is white and then add plate setter and or grill top and then  close and dial in temp?
    thx
    Central Florida
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    zman51 said:
    Kind of on topic. What is the procedure most do when getting fire ready for grilling. Do you light and keep hood open until charcoal is white and then add plate setter and or grill top and then  close and dial in temp?
    thx
    Nope. Light the lump, usually in one place for low and slow cooks and 2-3 places for higher temps, leave the dome open for a few minutes while adding "furniture" (platesetter, pizza stone, whatever), then close the dome and set your vents for target temp and let it all come up to temp together. When the white smoke clears, the smoke smells good and the temp is stable, add your food.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Options
    thx!
    Central Florida
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options

(hmm, if you did it right, you should be able to get seltzer water out of your grill)   =)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    It's perfectly safe, which is why most of us use propane to light the charcoal.

But stay away from that amateurpane -- who knows what that could lead to!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nope 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    No, but that Royal Oak sure will :) 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    zman51 said:
    thx
    @zman51  I like to put the nozzle into the pile of lump which cuts down on sparks. When the coals get going in about 20 to 30 seconds, I'll put the platesetter in and the grill on.  I'll put my remote thermometer probe on the grill and close the lid and open both vents. When it approaches target temp start closing the  vents.  You don't want to pass up your temp and try to bring down. The reason I close the lid is the kamado's whole design is about airflow. Don't start cooking until the white smoke goes away. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I gotta tell ya, since I've bought my weed burner 6 months ago I haven't even looked at my chimney. Lol... best tool ever