Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Needed Accessories???

Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I have had my Egg for about 6 months and am wondering about some suggestions to put on my Father's Day List and Birthday Wish list.  

But first, a little background.  Most of my cooks have been simple chicken and pork butts -- some coming out better than the others as I am still learning how to get the most our of my egg.  My egg sits outdoors in its nest without a cover, and many of my cooks seem to be ending up after dark.  I have not tried any type of over-night cooks, but might want to do so someday.  I live in the New Orleans area, so I don't have to worry about snow, but rain and humidity is a constant issue.

I have a Thermapen and also use a $12 Walmart probe for internal temperature measurement.  I also have a Kick-Ash-Basket.  

However, I'd appreciate any comments on other items that I might want.  Some of my thoughts are:

-- An improved temperature probe like the Maverick ET-732.  I don't think that I need something like the Digi Q (especially considering the price.)  The 732 seems reasonable in cost and has pretty good reviews.  However, should I consider the Smoke from Thermoworks.  It seems to be about twice the price as the Maverick, so I am leaning away from it.  Any suggestions here?  Another comment/question is that the Walmart one is still working, but doesn't measure grill temp.  (But how necessary is grill temp measurement?)

-- A cover for my Egg.  I see that the Green Egg one has Venelation.  But there are several other options available through Amazon.   And my Egg sits outside with no covering 100% of the time in a high humidity area.

-- A rack extender to raise the grill up a bit for "raised grill" cooking.  GreenEgg has a folding grill extender that seems reasonable, but I noticed this (The Raiser on Amazon  -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q37JJ6U?psc=1)  and it seems handy.

-- A light for the egg since many of my cooks have been ending at night.

-- A plate setter lifter (https://www.amazon.com/Vicool-hyBS-Setter-Lifter-Deflector/dp/B01M67WNAX/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1496074865&sr=8-6&keywords=big+green+egg+accessories) to remove a hot plate setter.

Any other suggestions...  Thanks.

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    You didn't mention how you light it. There is a never ending debate with Looftlighter on one hand and the weed burner/MAPP torch people on the other. I favor Looftlighter but you do need relative proximity to a electric outlet for that. You could also build a table for your Egg and maybe incorporate a light into it.
  • jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Pizza stone and pizza peel. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Good suggestions.. However, I light it with the Charcoal Starters from Green Egg, and I don't have a nearby outlet.

And, we don't cook pizzas at home, so I don't think that I'd get much use out of the pizza stone.

Thanks

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Take a look at The Ceramic Grill Store-linked below for a great second level set-up.  If you have a platesetter go with the PSWOO2 and extender-it will give you great flexibility.  https://ceramicgrillstore.com  There are several other options-give them a call and they will steer you right.

Depending on how much you trust your walmart probe you may want to look at Thermoworks and their offerings.  I have their Chef's Alarm set-up and it's fine for my uses.

Key for me would be-when you are prepping food/using your BGE "What is it that you wish you had and don't?"  Start there-  (good chef's knife?)  

You should get many suggestions.  Just don't look back once you decide.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SubVet585
    SubVet585 Posts: 14
    I've been starting with a MAPP torch at first but now I like to use a chimney for fast start.  Then when I spread the coals it's all nice and even.  THen I just add more lump charcoal, instal placesetter and tune in the target temperature.  This method is especially great for pizza since I shoot for high temp. (600 deg.F.).
  • I don't cover any of my Eggs. 

Grill covers in the south are just asking for a wasp invasion at some point IMHO. Don't know if that's a problem in NO but I stopped doing it. 

Ceramic Grill Store. 

Like @lousubcap  said...
    I cook 5 times a week outside easy. The things that get used the most are my thermapen and my PSWoo with the extender. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Egghead_Ty
    Egghead_Ty Posts: 41
    Look into the plancha griddle http://biggreenegg.com/product/cast-iron-plancha-griddle/

i use mine A LOT!  From blackened chicken breast, to searing a steak or burger,  even to sauté onions and mushrooms and making scrambled eggs in the AM.  I have a ton of eggcessories and this is by far my favorite 
  • ..... high temperature gloves!
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA