Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie mistake

Options
Being a newbie, I keep thinking I need to add smoke to everything. This cauliflower looks good but the smoke was way overpowering. Lesson learned.  No wood chunks next time.

Woodbridge, Va.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I'm a believer in " you get enough smoke from the lump" camp myself. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I'm a believer in " you get enough smoke from the lump" camp myself. 
    For me, it depends on what I'm cooking.  Most of the time I don't use any wood chunks for chicken, and the little bit of smokiness from the lump is plenty!  (Though I like jerk chicken a little more smoky.)  But ribs, pork butt, brisket I want about as smoky as I can get them!

We all have different tastes.  I can't say that really smoky cauliflower sounds very good to me, either.  Thanks, @PBandJ, for letting me learn from your experience!  :)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That's a lesson that I have learned and tend to forget when I'm learning to cook something new. I tend to smoke first and regret second. 
    I'm with @Theophan. ribs and pork can stand up to a lot of smoke, vegetables not so much.