Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some input on adding Small to table

Options
Long story short I started to build a table for my large egg before I ever thought about getting a second egg.  Life got in the way and never finished it.  I'm now looking to finish it, but want to add my small egg to the table.  I have plenty of room in the table to add it.  My thought is to take the nest the small is currently sitting it and taking the wheels off.  I would then bolt the nest to the table.  This would allow the egg to be lifted up high enough to be roughly the same height as the large and at the same time creating an air gap.  Any one see a problem with this?  Here is a picture of the table.  I have since put a first layer of epoxy and cut the hole for the large.

Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think your plan is solid. I saw another member post a similar solution in the past where they chopped down the rolling nest to fit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Couldn't you cut a hole in table top and put a taller platform under the small egg to bring it up to same level in table?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Couldn't you cut a hole in table top and put a taller platform under the small egg to bring it up to same level in table?
    That's essentially what the nest will be doing.  From my quick measurements the top of the small base should be close to the top of my large base with the nest.  I won't have a use for the nest once I put the small in the table so I figured this would be a good way to reuse it.  I was just curious if anyone else had done this or thought about it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Brandongodfrey
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me , please post when completed . I'm debating on doing exactly the same thing . Still unsure if I like two eggs in one table better than eggs on nests and a stand alone table in between 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me , please post when completed . I'm debating on doing exactly the same thing . Still unsure if I like two eggs in one table better than eggs on nests and a stand alone table in between 
    Will do.  I like having my eggs in the nests, however, with dogs, a two year (and another one on the way), I will feel more comfortable having them in something more secure to prevent an accidental knock over.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Like I said above, your plan will work. Just a shame to cut down a nest that you might enjoy using in the future if you want to pull your small and take it to a friends/family to use.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Long story short I started to build a table for my large egg before I ever thought about getting a second egg.  Life got in the way and never finished it.  I'm now looking to finish it, but want to add my small egg to the table.  I have plenty of room in the table to add it.  My thought is to take the nest the small is currently sitting it and taking the wheels off.  I would then bolt the nest to the table.  This would allow the egg to be lifted up high enough to be roughly the same height as the large and at the same time creating an air gap.  Any one see a problem with this?  Here is a picture of the table.  I have since put a first layer of epoxy and cut the hole for the large.

Here's my L and S set up. What I did for a riser was to make it into the carcass for a drawer to hold some tools! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I like the drawer option, Mitch better use of space ^^  I did something similar with my mini 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I will take that into consideration. Put the nest in and looks like the felt line will set about 5 inches above the large one. Will look a bit funny. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I will take that into consideration. Put the nest in and looks like the felt line will set about 5 inches above the large one. Will look a bit funny. 
    What is your Large going to be sitting on? Also why ruin a perfectly good Small nest with wheels and trying to fit it under your table? Why not sell that Small nest, take the proceeds and buy one of those little cross braced stands for your Small? If nothing else take a better look at my 17 year old set up resting on ceramic feet on top of a concrete "stone" and then measure and adjust accordingly to be sure your gasket line for both your Large and Small will be above your table top the same? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    I have a table nest for the large. It will be sitting on a slab of granite. The granite sits on the bottom braces so it will be open so it doesn't scortch any wood. The wheels come off easily from the small nest. I was simply just trying to repurpose it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    i actually had the opposite situation. I had a large and a small in separate tables. I then added another large. I beafed up the bottom and top support of the table that held my small and added the large to it. The platform the small sits on has an open space with the front panel that has magnetic clips to hold it in place.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.