Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking

Options
how long do you soak your wood chips for an 6-8 hour cook?

also do you soak your wood chunks 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I use chunks exclusively and don't soak them. I use a hatchet to break down larger chunks. About an hour soak on chips is probably sufficient. 

Welcome to the forum. 
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    No need to soak. Just mix them throughout the lump and you should be good to go. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Most folks on here don't soak chips or chunks. Doesn't do anything.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Restricted air flow in a kamado does not require a soak to slow the ignition. Mix the chunks or chips throughout the lump for a long cook. Suggest if you are a WSM or kettle guy, use about half the amount of smoke wood you normally use and adjust accordingly. Don''t look for smoke to be curling from the daisy wheel, just smell it and you will know it is working. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    The key is as mentioned above, mix in with your lump load.  The fire has a tendency to burn toward the back slightly right of center first, then seek out new fuel.  Concentrate your lump load vertically in that area for heavier smoke.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The Egg's restricted airflow keeps the wood from catching fire, unless the dome is open for a long time. Anyway, even if wood is soaked long time, very little fluid penetrates. Try putting some wood in a water bath with food coloring overnite. Cut into it to see how much the fluid was absorbed.
  • Duker15
    Duker15 Posts: 22
    Options
    Right on thanks for the help