Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk pork spin

Options
Went for another spin on the XL joetisserie today. Jerk pork smoked with pimento wood. Turned out great. 

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    That looks so good!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    That looks awesome.  Did you push the lump to one side for a specific cooking reason or was it just to save lump?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Looks really good. Cool device. 
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    Man, I like that. The XL size fits the XL BGE OK without modifications? 
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    Hub said:
    That looks awesome.  Did you push the lump to one side for a specific cooking reason or was it just to save lump?
    When using the Joetisserie you stack the lump to the back so it's only applying heat to one side as it spins. Keeps from cooking it too fast and also allows it to marinade in it's own juices. Same principal as a rotisserie.

• ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    Another question. I've looked at their website and cannot discern by looking at the photos of "joetisserie" whether there is a rim or something to keep the devise from sliding off the BGE (in my case). What holds the joetisserie in place?
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ronw9471 said:
    Another question. I've looked at their website and cannot discern by looking at the photos of "joetisserie" whether there is a rim or something to keep the devise from sliding off the BGE (in my case). What holds the joetisserie in place?
    Yeah there's a rim. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Looks great!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Looks great! What did you use for the marinade? I was just in Jamaica and ate jerk chicken every day for lunch. They used a simple drum BBQ with charcoal on one end and Pimento wood on the other.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    ronw9471 said:
    Yeah there's a rim. 
    That's right. Small lip in the back and progressively larger rim to the front. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    Options
    Smolder said:
    Hub said:
    When using the Joetisserie you stack the lump to the back so it's only applying heat to one side as it spins. Keeps from cooking it too fast and also allows it to marinade in it's own juices. Same principal as a rotisserie.

Yep that's it. heaping the lump towards the back is the recommended setup for rotisserie cooks. If you have lump spread evenly, I suspect it might cook too quickly on the outside before the inside is at the desired temp. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Looks great! What did you use for the marinade? I was just in Jamaica and ate jerk chicken every day for lunch. They used a simple drum BBQ with charcoal on one end and Pimento wood on the other.
    @dstearn walkerswood is hands down my favourite jerk seasoning. i've tried to make my own several times, and it's no where close to walkerswood. The pimento wood is key to authentic flavour. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    Options
    ronw9471 said:
    Man, I like that. The XL size fits the XL BGE OK without modifications? 
    Sort of. The left side shelf cannot be put down because it hits the motor assembly of the egg. My understanding is that when the left shelf is put down, the joetisserie clears perfect. There is definitely a difference in shelf design between the egg and KJs.

Also, when the shelf on the egg is in the up position, it doesn't quite allow the joetisserie to be positioned so it's pointing at 3 o'clock. it's more like 4 o'clock, if that makes sense. It's a small enough variance that the dome doesn't have to twist that much to seal properly. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    The cook looks delicious. In regards to the fit of the rotisserie , how much does the motor hang down. Do you think it would work with and egg in a table?
  • bweekes
    Options
    The cook looks delicious. In regards to the fit of the rotisserie , how much does the motor hang down. Do you think it would work with and egg in a table?
    i will measure on and get back to you. how many inches from your felt line on the base to the top of the table?
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    bweekes said:
    i will measure on and get back to you. how many inches from your felt line on the base to the top of the table?
    Cool, thanks. Approximately 5.5" from bottom felt to table top.