Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many racks of ribs can I get on a large?

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
I've got 4 racks of ribs (each about 18-20") long. How can I get them all on my egg at once? I was hoping to do a big cook tomorrow afternoon.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

The Chef Wil 20 rack thing was apparently legit. Done years before my time here, but here is a thread about it... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/819570/20-racks-at-one-time
    Click the links within in the thread too for more info.

Chef Wil is showing up as "Unknown" username. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gym
    Options
    Holy Cr@p! I thought you were kidding!!!!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Depends on what you have for a setup. 4 racks should be no problem even with just a platesetter and rib rack

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Gym
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    As I recall, Wil's rib cook was direct, no platesetter. I forget, but I think it's in the link I posted. No one's gonna do 20 racks, but the point is - you can do WAY more than you thought you could!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Gym said:
    I've got 4 racks of ribs (each about 18-20") long. How can I get them all on my egg at once? I was hoping to do a big cook tomorrow afternoon.
    Use a rib rack, or an upside down V-rack that will hold them on their side.  Do 2 of them whole in the center, and cut the other 2 in halves, and put 2 halves on either side of the two whole racks.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    4 should be no problem. If you don't have a rib rack I've done balled up tinfoil to keep them apart and on their edges. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    gmac said:
    4 should be no problem. If you don't have a rib rack I've done balled up tinfoil to keep them apart and on their edges. 
    Good idea on the foil. I've done 6 on a rib rack, but had to add extra time for them being so close together. I've found 4 to be a comfortable number, whether on a rack or if you have to levels. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    I did one rack on a mini... I have faith that you can get 4 on a large :)
    Cutting them in half will help you better use the space.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I know it may seem blasphemous but I've also just doubled them up and rotated who was on top every hour or two. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Toothpick test for the win.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Bamboo skewers also work to space the ribs apart and hold them upright on their sides.  @Theophan had a good idea with the outside two cut in half ... if you're OCD about optimizing space, you might cut the outside two in a 2/3 - 1/3 pattern. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Gym
    Options
    So I just went out and picked up a v rack, then I remembered on the way home that I have a second level for my grate that I could use. Although the upper level would be cooking at a different temperature. Which would I be better to use?
  • Theophan
    Options
    Gym said:
    So I just went out and picked up a v rack, then I remembered on the way home that I have a second level for my grate that I could use. Although the upper level would be cooking at a different temperature. Which would I be better to use?
    I don't have an Adjustable Rig, yet, but in the video for it, they guy switches the ribs in the upper and lower levels about half-way through the cook.  Sounds like a good idea to me!
  • Gym
    Options
    Excellent points. Thank you.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I've done 4 racks on a Mini Max, so am farily confident you can far eclipse that number on your Large. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I use the v rack. And cut the third rack in half. I've only done three at once on my large. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Gym
    Options
    For those who use the v rack...Do you Texas crutch? Just curious how the tin foil works when ribs are on their side?
  • Theophan
    Options
    Gym said:
    For those who use the v rack...Do you Texas crutch? Just curious how the tin foil works when ribs are on their side?
    I've never foiled, and love my ribs so much without it that I've just never had much incentive to try it.  I've also heard a lot of folks say that when they compare it, the foiled ones seem mushy by comparison.  Some people love it, though.  I'd guess that if you don't add any liquid to the foil, it wouldn't make a huge difference having them on their sides.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I think this was 6, using a rib rack. If you don't have one, skewers work well as jeepster says

fold em, bend em, stack em. Whatever it takes. It's gonna work!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Gym
    Options
    That's alot of meat. Looks great! Usually by the end of the cook (using 221) I can barely flip them without them falling apart. I would guess that's because of the tin foil. Hopefully they'll stay in place if I don't foil. 
  • Gym
    Options
    Can I FTC ribs?
  • blind99
    Options
    I just cook them until done, no foiling. I like them tender but not falling off the bone. You can definitely FTC them. 
  • Gym
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks. Last cook I had some problems... The good folks here helped me. Turns out I was cooking at too low temp. I will try 275 today and put them on at 12. Hoping to eat at 6. This way I can FTC for an hour if necessary.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    If you can swing it, get the cgs adj rig, two oval grids two slide guides amd two crossbars and rig extender with crossbars.   This was a cook i did three years ago for a grieving family that lost a dad/husband unexpectedly so i really put forth the effort to produce the best ribs i knew how to make....they loved the food but this easily could have been done with one  more rack on each level, although id have to foil the edges in the path of direct rising heat....so this was six racks spead among three levels but could have been nine and maybe twelve if i could figure out the setup for one more level....

I think another level could be added at bottom as there is plenty of space between each level for air and smoke circulation so that the final product has that deep dark red maroon look that is so appealing on ribs....
  • blind99
    Options
    Sounds good. If you are running 275 at the dome, it may be as low as 225 at the grate for quite some time before temps really equalize. So the ribs may take quite awhile. If things aren't moving along by 3 I would bump up the temps to 325-350 to finish them off. If you do bump temps just keep an eye on things - if your rub or sauce is high in sugar you can burn it if the temps get away from you. Good luck, post results!
  • Gym
    Options
    Westernbbq - did you rotate throughout the cook?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    You can definitely FTC ribs. Their bark tolerates it better than a brisket. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX