Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spend my money for me!

slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
so it's been a while since I've posted. Just graduated from law school last week and bar study is in full swing.

anways I have about $150 that I've decided to actually spend on myself (in cheap and usually don't do this)

what would you get for cooking?

i was thinking a good knife set? Maybe a sous vide?

for your viewing pleasure, here is a table and kamado setup that I built about a month ago (and a photo from graduation)

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Beautiful table and congrats!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Congrats. How 'bout putting it towards a kamado of the green variety? ;) Just kidding. KJ is a fantastic product.

My vote would be an MK4 Thermapen. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Congrats brother.  1+ SV.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Awesome. Congrats on law school. I did some time then decided to go the business route. All that jargon made me sleepy. 

For that hat price I would get a sous vide. You're still about $100 short on 1 "good" knife. But it's better to have 1 great one than a set of junk. 

That table looks great. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Congrats to you, stranger! Keep that picture as a memory of the last time you didn't have you button your collar, pull up your necktie and polish your shoes. Little things still matter in the professional world you are entering! BTW after the bar exam then what and where do you plan to enter the profession and doing what...other than getting coffee for the older staff?  =);)=)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Congrats on your accomplishment!

You can find the Anova on Amazon for $99 to $109 and get a Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef's knife  (best value in a knife you will find and a very fine tool) for $40...

Boom.
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Congratulations!! My recommendation would be the MK4 thermapen as @GrateEggspectations already mentioned and the victorinox 8 inch chef knife. The thermapen is a game changer...cook to temp not to time and the chef knife is a great everyday knife for the price.
  • Congrats. Welcome back, nice table and good luck on the bar!
    Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,164
    First up congrats on the professional milestone.  No lawyer jokes tonight.
    Going against the grain here, I would spring for a SRF black grade brisket.  Get your friends together, do it up and celebrate.  You can always buy hardware.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Congrats on graduating. Welcome back, we'll  look forward to more posts about you. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Congratulations on graduating. Your table looks bitchen but why did you paint your egg red? IMHO  don't buy knives in sets, they give you a bunch of fillers. Sous Video is always a nice addition. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Spaightlabs
    @slovelad - any significance to the green cords?

• lousubcap said:
    Going against the grain here, I would spring for a SRF black grade brisket.  Get your friends together, do it up and celebrate.  You can always buy hardware.
    Great idea. That $150 wil last a lifetime of stories if you do it right :wink:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • slovelad
    RRP said:
    Congrats to you, stranger! Keep that picture as a memory of the last time you didn't have you button your collar, pull up your necktie and polish your shoes. Little things still matter in the professional world you are entering! BTW after the bar exam then what and where do you plan to enter the profession and doing what...other than getting coffee for the older staff?  =);)=)
    @RRP I accepted a job with a family law firm in tampa, Florida. I worked there for about a year during school.

but yes... I have made many coffee runs as a clerk lol
  • slovelad
    lousubcap said:
    @lousubcap it crossed my mind! But I had all my family over for graduation, and honestly none of them or my friend know enough about BBQ to justify. They all rave about my choice briskets so that was good enough for me lol!
  • slovelad
    @slovelad - any significance to the green cords?

It was for the mock trial team. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,164
    @slovelad -  well then take 'em all up a few notches.  At least you could appreciate the left-overs but I get it.  Again congrats and whatever you decide, don't look back.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    congratulations 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    edited May 2017
    Congrats on the graduation. I would agree with the others who suggest a thermapen, assuming you don't already have something that serves this purpose.
    Stillwater, MN
  • slovelad
    Well I pulled the trigger on the anova sous vide and the 8" victoriknox knife. Win win!
  • Spaightlabs
    Man, some kind of genius must have pointed you that direction. =)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Congratulations and nice choice on how to spend the coin.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I would buy a custom GMAC knife. They are very expensive but worth twice the price. :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.