Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

one last call - baking steel order in central Illinois

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Sorry - but this group buy was a one time and only one time effort. I ended up ordering 8 ...one for me and selling the other 7. The term A36 steel is a very commonly produced steel used in construction. @CarolinaQ here often time said he bought a piece for dirt cheap at some scrap yard and I think he then cut it round and ground it himself. Personally I'd split the difference and go with 5/16" if I were to do it again. BTW you can buy baking steels on line - but I just don't follow where any more.
  • Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    No problem I appreciate your response and info.  I will search as it is no rush and share if I find some deals.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    @Legally Blind Egghead

Where are you located? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you have a steel yard nearby, or a scrap metal dealer, see what they have to offer. There's a place here that sells cutoffs and scrap for $1 per pound. I bought a piece approximately 14x17" for about $12. Always meant to cut it to fit my large, but never did.

I mostly use it in my oven for pizza. It also fits on my Weber kettle and works well as a griddle there. If you put the coals at one end, you can get hot and less hot zones. Doubt that would work on an egg.

The pizza stone I was sold when I bought my large was 14". I have always assumed that was the correct size for a large, And if you want to raise it higher in the dome, the larger it is, the sooner it will cut off airflow. Others may have used a 16, dunno.

1/4" is fine. Preferred even. 1/2 takes too long to heat. Heavy too! Mine is 1/4".

A36 is the most common type of steel you can find. Used for everything from structural I-beams to, well, baking steels.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @Legally Blind Egghead

Where are you located? 

kl8ton said:
    @Legally Blind Egghead

Where are you located? 
     Tampa, Florida 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A36 steel is a type of steel. It transfers heat real well and will season like cast iron. Mine is 3/8", but honestly, would go 1/4" next time. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI