Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a little help on ribs

Options
This was my first time doing this many ribs at the same time. I usually limit it to 3 and cut them in half to fit on my rack, but couldn't do that this weekend with the 5 racks I had on there.

With the way they were positioned, the ends were over the openings on the edge of the platesetter and they got a bit "crisp." Any tips on how to avoid that in the future? I tried putting down a bit of aluminum foil at one point, but I think that made it worse.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've wrapped meat (hanging over the edge of the platesetter) in foil. Not just setting the foil on the grid but actually wrapping that part of the meat in foil. It seemed to do the trick.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I put AF under the grid on top of the drip pan to cover any exposed area. Works great and makes clean-up a snap(just ball up the foil; clean drip pan!)
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The idea solution would be this. But the ideas above are great and cheaper.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Next time double up on the foil and do it from the start of the cook and you should be fine. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you didnt mention cook temp, but lower and slower helps,  something under the rib ends helps, flipping and rotating front to back more often helps. you have the back ends over the hott spot, spin them 90 degrees. you might consider an adjustable rig for two cooking heights, and or the oval stone that goes with them.  one other thing, at 235 dome temp you dont need to fill it with lump which will increase distance ribs to fire
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Panathinaikos55
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. 

I had the temp up a bit higher than I usually do (it was at 275 grate temp) since it was a bit of a last minute thing. When I put the foil on, it was after they already started getting a bit dark on the ends and I placed it on top of the grill grates, but under the ribs (probably far too close).