Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg sweats; temperature drops. What can I do?

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if the thermometer wrapped, wouldn't there be a lack of smoke? in the pic it looks like it's just wafting around...

not really. depends on how clean it is, what kind of lump and how long it had been burning that hot. when I do 600 degree clean burns it can smoke for an hour if it's dirty
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I think we are talking to ourselves. :i_dunno:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    When mine has done that I found that the sweat was running down the thermo shaft & cooling the thermo tip where it reads the temp.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This is a thermal dynamic impossibility to go from 600F-800F insert pizza and "drop" to 100F-200F instantly. Possible to surge to 900F-1200F from the sudden feed of oxygen but, not probable. Anyways, welcome to the forum & nice Friday thread. :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is a thermal dynamic impossibility to go from 600F-800F insert pizza and "drop" to 100F-200F instantly.

For the Egg, yes. However if the pizza was raised into the dome sigh high that when the pizza was inserted and dome closed, the temperature probe penetrated the pizza topping, this could cause the observed temperature change. I did that once, taught me to use a cork spacer and also not load so many toppings onto the pizza. :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------