Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making sausage. What cuts of meat?

Options
So my grandfather was a butcher is rural SC and used to make some killer bulk sausage. Never put it in casings, purely bulk to make your own patties with.  I was recently given the recipe which was ingredients per 100 pounds of meat. He used to just use "a pig".  I have adjusted the recipe to 5 pounds of meat and recently gave it a whirl.   I used 5 pounds of ground pork butt and mixed ingredients by hand a little at a time.   When I cooked it, the flavor was there but the patties were rubbery and didn't even produce grease or moisture in  the pan when cooking. Visually it appeared to have plenty of fat in it.   I felt as if I were eating turkey sausage.  What cuts of meat do you typically use for sausage and any opinions on why this happened?  Do I need to mix in maybe 20% pork belly or something?  Thanks in advance.
Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'm just chiming in for the conversation; my guess is you needed more fat. Someone that makes far more sausage than I have will chime in shortly and give you some solid advice. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Did you trim that butt? It sounds like you were just shot of fat. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Add some fatback 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited May 2017
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Did you trim that butt? It sounds like you were just shot of fat. 
    To be honest, my local butcher at publix ground the butt for me. I thought about that but just assumed he wasn't dumb enough to trim the fat off since I was making sausage. Haven't been back to ask.  I also feel like it was short of fat. The question is how much?   How do you know how much is enough? Thanks for reply. 
    Upstate SC
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I use 4lbs of pork butt and one pound of fatback. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This is good advice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 on fatback
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • etherdome
    Options
    fatback is something I have never messed with. Just grind it up? or are there other things  I need to do with it? Completely ignorant regarding fatback.  Does it typically have skin on it?
    Thanks for advice. 
    Upstate SC
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Interesting that you add more fat. I suppose that might be the ticket for you in this case.

I use boneless butts from Costco unless we slaughter and butcher a pig. I have never needed to add fat. But then again I always put the sausage in a casing.  My recipes also have some sort of liquid ingredient whether water, wine or beer.  Perhaps when not in casing, you need a bit more fat due to nothing "sealing" the moisture in. 
    I do make a fairly large quantities when I make it though and it is a blast to do. I think this was a 30-40'ish lb batch. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • etherdome
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Interesting that you add more fat. I suppose that might be the ticket for you in this case.

I use boneless butts from Costco unless we slaughter and butcher a pig. I have never needed to add fat. But then again I always put the sausage in a casing.  My recipes also have some sort of liquid ingredient whether water, wine or beer.  Perhaps when not in casing, you need a bit more fat due to nothing "sealing" the moisture in. 
    I do make a fairly large quantities when I make it though and it is a blast to do. I think this was a 30-40'ish lb batch. 

That is awesome looking!   Thanks for your input.
    Upstate SC
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It may have not been the fat content, but lack of primary bind ( myosin) like the glutin in bread it forms a web, binding the protein and keeps the fat " trapped"...you may have also got " smear" from grinding or mixing when to warm.. I use almost any protein to make sausage ... 2 percent salt is key..liquid is key (  1 cup per 5 pounds) cold cold cold
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Keep meticulous notes when making sausage. The second you make it exactly the way you like it best, is the time you switched something up but did not write it down. Then you can not remeber exactly what you did. If you always measure and take notes of what you did, when you find that magic mix you will know what you did.

FYI the only time I do this when cooking is with making sausage and any charcuterie. Everything else is gustimates and add splashes, shakes, pinches and dashes of stuff. But I can tell you what was in every batch of sausage I have made.

Just my opinion and thoughts on the matter. Take it for whatever you think that is worth. :)
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Keep meticulous notes when making sausage. The second you make it exactly the way you like it best, is the time you switched something up but did not write it down. Then you can not remeber exactly what you did. If you always measure and take notes of what you did, when you find that magic mix you will know what you did.

FYI the only time I do this when cooking is with making sausage and any charcuterie. Everything else is gustimates and add splashes, shakes, pinches and dashes of stuff. But I can tell you what was in every batch of sausage I have made.

Just my opinion and thoughts on the matter. Take it for whatever you think that is worth. :)
    The very best advice. Period. I can't tell you how many times I've kicked myself for not writing the ingredients or the process down. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Go to the butcher, ask for the pork fat trimmings. I couldn't find fatback(it was seasonal of all things). The local butcher hooked me up. You need that fat at about 20% even with a butt. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I use 5 lbs pork shoulder and one lb fatback. Always been very happy with that ratio.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • etherdome
    Options
    Nice. Thanks
    Upstate SC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Sausage was created from the scraps off the animals after processing.

Although absolutely crazy to pay $10 for ONE banger at the counter, Aaron Franklin's episode Sausage, was on yesterday.  This little how to segment was towards the end, and Dale Watson playing during chicken sh!t bingo....great episode.

https://youtu.be/sCI116xVVv8
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i have not made sausage in a long while but what i found grinding my own was i like a larger plate for grinding the fat. hated the grind from the ka til finding the bigger plates on ebay
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

That's it.....I am on my way up. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Recipes vary on adding fat or not. I don't buy store sausage anymore; Homemade is absolutely the way to go. I use a kitchenaid grinder attachment and with practice it works perfectly. Fine looking Sausages @northGAcock! I actually mostly just grind then freeze. (e.g. ground up) I found I was using more ground up sausage than when in links. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    @Raymont those are @Sea2Ski 's sausages. Robin would just mail order some...  ;)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Raymont those are @Sea2Ski 's sausages. Robin would just mail order some...  ;)
    Actually, I am ready to go up to Pennselvania to learn from @Sea2Ski. I have not only seen these pictures...but have had some of his sausage. There will be no mail order here.....hand delivery only... =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Unfortunately I missed out on the sausage. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks awesome 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    It may have not been the fat content, but lack of primary bind ( myosin) like the glutin in bread it forms a web, binding the protein and keeps the fat " trapped"...you may have also got " smear" from grinding or mixing when to warm.. I use almost any protein to make sausage ... 2 percent salt is key..liquid is key (  1 cup per 5 pounds) cold cold cold
    Two important things when making sausage are
    1) keep everything ice cold. Make sure when you grind your meat the meat is ice cold. Put your grinder head along with the grinder plate, plate knife and auger in the refrigerator about an hour or two prior to grinding. If you are not going to mix the ground meat immediately after grinding make sure you put it in the refrigerator. 
    2) like lkapigian says you need to develope myosin. When you mix the meat you develope myosin. A good rule of thumb to see if the meat is mixed enough is you make a small patty and slap it onto your palm. When you turn your palm over so the patty is facing the floor if the patty sticks to your palm and does not fall off then the sausage is mixed enough.
    Are you adding any liquid to the mix? Adding a liquid such as water, wine or beer is important. Pork butts usually have enough fat and it's usually not necessary to add additional. When I cutup my butts I separate the fat and fatty pieces from the lean. I then weigh the lean and fat to make sure I have a minimum 80/20 lean to fat ratio. I also grind the lean and fat separately and then mix them together, It's just how I was taught. Here are Italian, breakfast and smoked Kielbasa sausage I recently made. Good luck in your sausage quest. 
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • etherdome
    Options
    Some great responses. Thanks to all!
    Upstate SC
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I have been close to buying a grinder for a while now. This is pushing me over the edge.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I have been close to buying a grinder for a while now. This is pushing me over the edge.
    That, and an LEM stuffer, are the last serious pieces of kitchen equipment needed.

Luckily, in Milan, IL, the guys have the grinder and deer processing mastered, freezers full of many different awesome flavors.....gets me by.

Making sausage, although rewarding, is a full blown project.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Focker said:
    Eoin said:
    That, and an LEM stuffer, are the last serious pieces of kitchen equipment needed.

Luckily, in Milan, IL, the guys have the grinder and deer processing mastered, freezers full of many different awesome flavors.....gets me by.

Making sausage, although rewarding, is a full blown project.
    Nothing like corn fed deer!  Out here deer taste like sage and are tiny.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Eoin said:

FWIW I have a #12 LEM and an LEM Stuffer BUT, I started ( and loved) my Less Than $50.00 Harbor Freight Grinder...worked like a champ and got me started...the stuffing attachment ( on any grinder ) is ok for a few pounds, anything more than that get a dedicated..but if you have a Harbor Freight near by, go buy one
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian