Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Blackstone 36in Owner

Options
I just picked up  a new Blackstone 36in griddle today.  It say that the griddle is preseasoned.  Is there any additional seasoning I should do before my first cook

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    As I learned, there are many topics on this. Use the search tool. 

I seasoned mine by cooking bacon, bacon, and more bacon. When done cooking, clean the surface, then smear the bacon grease around to cover the top. Repeat every time you use it. 

Enjoy! Then add more bacon. 

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Check this article:
    https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/griddle-seasoning-care-guide/

Like @michigan_jason suggested I like the idea of just cooking with it. You might want to do at lease one initial heat/cool cycle with some oil, but it is kind of a pain to heat it up, oil it, cool it down several times. Just use plenty of oil at first if cooking food that might stick. After each cook clean it and wipe it down leaving a small layer of oil. Do this each time and "season as you go" and soon you will find you won't need as much oil for cooking. As Jason suggested bacon grease is a great seasoning agent, but if you are not cooking bacon you can follow the same process using some other type of oil. If you want to cook something like eggs or pancakes early on just remember you will need plenty of oil. I made the mistake of pouring on a pancake before it was properly seasoned and the flapjack fused to the surface. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I seasoned mine with canola and then just cooked on it.  That has served me well.  No flaking, no issues.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Any cooking oil with a decently high smoke point will do.
    (there are folks who do not eat bacon for various reasons)
    examples would be canola, avocado oils. 
    Avoid fax seed as there are feedback that it flakes off.the trick is to cook on it regularly. the more you use it, it will season itself. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com