Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Shining up one's automobile

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Focker said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Focker said:
    Vette guys love their old school Zaino like their matching nylon Corvette jackets. Lol

A lot has changed in the detail world, in the last 30 years or so. Hahaha

Use what you are comfortable with, as there is no best option...but a professional clay, orbital cut, seal, and wax, cannot be beat.  This takes work.  Many, in today's age, struggle with that concept.

Go to a good detail shop.  I would bet, if they're good, there will be no Z bottles found.
    You are correct, probably not.

But I can get the same look and protection at a fraction of the cost, without paying someone, and done at my convenience is a win/win/win. Sure, my vents are not dusted with q-tips or the inside of my wheels that no one sees polished, but that is fine with me.  The water will bead up and the paint will be UV protected just the same. Plus I really do love the way the product smells.  I will stick with them. I see no reason to spend more money, energy, time to get the same result - or at least the same result that I can measure with my own eyes. 

I'd rather have a prime dry aged ribeye roast and a few extra bills in my pocket over the clean vents and dusty inside wheel any day.  :lol:
    I will post pics on this thread or the OT one when I clay, cut, seal, and wax my dad's '66 C-2 in July for a big show in August.  He would b!tchslap me if I put Zaino on it.

There is much more to judging a paint detail than water beading and odor.  Lmao

Like I stated, use the products, and most importantly, tools, you are comfortable with.

But to say Zaino is the best, is just a$$inine.
    I can understand your point of using an orbital and what not on a custom paint job where you have multiple coats of paint and clear coat. But, on todays finishes on the new cars there just isn't enough on the vehicles to be cutting it. You wouldn't have any clear coat left. Plus, you need to know what you are doing when using an orbital, as you can quickly ruin the finish.
    Plus, there is a difference between a SHOW car and a daily driver.
    I don't have a garage. My vehicles are out in the elements year round.
    Carnuba just never seems to hold up on any of my vehicles.
    I don't have the time to be reapplying a coat of wax on my vehicles every 2 months. Zaino in the Spring and Fall are enough to keep my vehicles looking good all year.
    Let me dispel your myths.

A dual action orbital, as referenced earlier, will not burn through.  A rotary, in the wrong hands, will.

Today's finishes, are actually better, you can polish them easily.  For softer paints, use Meg M105 with a white pad, or M205 with a black pad.  The black pad is the finest for finshing and applying, and white is the next step up, but for finishing as well.  Lots of successful combos on today's finishes by product and pad selection.  M105 and white, followed with M205 and black, are an example.

I treat my '94 daily driver Chevy, the same I would a "show" car.  Same steps, tools, products, pads, etc.

Carnuba has to be reapplied if out in the elements, I'm not sure what you expect?  A sealant before waxing will extend it a bit.  Do one panel at a time, like Miyagi taught.  Maybe it's how I was taught by my grandpa, and dad, but you guys act like waxing a car is soooooo hard.  Lol
    One could even apply it with the orbital and a black pad if the mangina gets too moist.  Then buff with a microfiber towel.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    edited April 2017
    I guess Focker would be a car cleaning expert after seeing that pic of him attempting to back a camper in the driveway. 
    Between the wisecracks, links, and memes, you are a helpful wealth of knowledge around here.  

Detailing, stripping caulk, reapplying new caulk, on every seam and roof on an RV, is a rite of passage itself.  Maybe a spray and wipe 13 layers of the magical Zaino, would have fixed it all for me? =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104

Their are no "shortcuts" to getting a showroom shine.  It's work for sure, but for me well worth the final product.  The guys at the golf course make fun of my two "tuxedo black" vehicles, and how they always look perfect.  I, in turn, tease them about their dirty, beater trucks and golf carts!

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    My current collection 
    Edina, MN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Liquid dishwasher detergent, I do not wax a clear coat, as it is only .2mils or less in thickness. Just enough to provide adequate UV protection of the color coat, and substrate. Waxing reduces millage on the clear coat, which can lead to a compromised clear coat.
    I just use soft towels and polish.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    i just drive the truck, egg with the egg =) seriously, last time i washed the 1989 truck was maybe 1991. and it looks as good as my egg too =)
    Large or small egg??  Lol 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    YukonRon said:
    Liquid dishwasher detergent, I do not wax a clear coat, as it is only .2mils or less in thickness. Just enough to provide adequate UV protection of the color coat, and substrate. Waxing reduces millage on the clear coat, which can lead to a compromised clear coat.
    Heretic.  You're totally missing the boat on the whole rite of passage thing.  Any shine on your car is from laziness and cheating - clearly the work of the devil.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Legume said:
    YukonRon said:
    Heretic.  You're totally missing the boat on the whole rite of passage thing.  Any shine on your car is from laziness and cheating - clearly the work of the devil.
    You should see my Ford. What is not dented is rusted, and has not been washed in years. No shine on mine.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:
    YukonRon said:
    You should see my Ford. What is not dented is rusted, and has not been washed in years. No shine on mine.
    Here is the most recent shot of the Chevy, '94.
    And an older vid I sent to Flowmaster of modding a Camaro single in dual out muffler to fit, of my '91 4.9L Deville I sold a few years back.  Found it for 3Gs.  Positive comments all the time on it, beautuful color in and out.  Solid sled in the snow, better than my 4x4.
    Man I miss that ride, regret selling. 
    https://youtu.be/D3Yts7KkwFQ
    No dents, not a speck of rust.
    A few seasoned scratches on her from use, that's it.

When I had my '67, I inherited my grandpa's 78 Malibu daily driver after he passed.  IL, with salted roads.  It was approaching 30 yrs, no exterior rust, 305 purred like a kitten.

I get more compliments regularly from both men and women on my measely $5000 truck, and it's "clean" condition.  Co-workers have even asked if that's my blue Chevy in the lot.  Lazy haters with garbage piled up on the floorboards that they have to move before you climb in, are always, gon hate.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited April 2017
    oddly i get compliments and thumbs up on my dodge dakota sport convertible truck, paints flaked off all over, roof is coming apart, dented, every corner is rusted, holes thru here and there, the bed is full of junk to the point i cant get a small cooler in it, passenger floor is full of coffee cups, fast food containers, bags, dog hair everywhere, chrome tube bumper is dented and has more rust than chrome,dash board is cracking, the cast iron exhaust manifold has a big hole in it, loud, its a blue smog machine,will be begging for an inspection sticker tomorrow =) and yet i get "nice truck" comments, even from women B) how is this possible
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    oddly i get compliments and thumbs up on my dodge dakota sport convertible truck, paints flaked off all over, roof is coming apart, dented, every corner is rusted, holes thru here and there, the bed is full of junk to the point i cant get a small cooler in it, passenger floor is full of coffee cups, fast food containers, bags, dog hair everywhere, chrome tube bumper is dented and has more rust than chrome,dash board is cracking, the cast iron exhaust manifold has a big hole in it, load, its a blue smog machine,will be begging for an inspection sticker tomorrow =) and yet i get "nice truck" comments, even from women B) how is this possible
    What kind of women sre you runnin with fish?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    Focker said:
    oddly i get compliments and thumbs up on my dodge dakota sport convertible truck, paints flaked off all over, roof is coming apart, dented, every corner is rusted, holes thru here and there, the bed is full of junk to the point i cant get a small cooler in it, passenger floor is full of coffee cups, fast food containers, bags, dog hair everywhere, chrome tube bumper is dented and has more rust than chrome,dash board is cracking, the cast iron exhaust manifold has a big hole in it, load, its a blue smog machine,will be begging for an inspection sticker tomorrow =) and yet i get "nice truck" comments, even from women B) how is this possible
    this is from strangers =)  but looking around and from experience, im pretty sure i need one that never lived on a paved road ;)
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Focker said:
    I'm guessing it's not the cashier from Aldi  :|
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Focker said:
    this is from strangers =)  but looking around and from experience, im pretty sure i need one that never lived on a paved road ;)
    I think you're pullin the sympathy wave bud.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Focker said:
    You seem like just the stereotypical, and judgemental, guy I wanna hang with.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    I think you're pullin the sympathy wave bud.  ;)
    not really, there are people that ask if its for sale.  theres a subculture of those that like old junky trucks out there. its driven into the ground , had its replacement for a few days and flipped it, by summers end there will be  either another h2 sut or older caddy escalade ext sitting in the driveway, would i look like an ass if i didnt wash the caddy =)
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2017
    Focker said:
    Fish gets tail because he can back a trailer.  He forgot to add that one.  

The rusted Dakota is one thing, hooked to a trailer and a fella that can "put it in it's place properly" is what women dig man.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    edited April 2017
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    That's funny. This whole thread is you stereotyping and judging people because they don't use your car cleaning products/method or like Zaino.

• DoubleEgger
    Focker said:

The rusted Dakota is one thing, hooked to a trailer and a fella that can "put it in it's place properly" is what women dig man.  
    Women around here like trucks that are dirty and loaded with equipment. Means the guy has a job. 
  • Focker
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    That's funny. This whole thread is you stereotyping and judging people because they don't use your car cleaning products/method or like Zaino.

I'm cornfused....ya lost me at "use what you're comfortable with".
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Focker said:

Much easier said, than done bro.
    Let me guess, you have never run a trailer?
    Or like you being born into money, were an expert first pull? Lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104

Just the opposite here in Kansas.  Women around here like "bright, clean, and flashy" vehicles.  Means the guy has an oil well...or two.

I used 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish to get this look on my wife's car, (with my 9" DeWalt orbital).  She won't drive a dirty car, and sprays the tires with treatment weekly.

• fishlessman
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

having been stuck waiting on boat ramps as people try and maneuver a straight ramp in front of me =) the big thing people do wrong is speed, pick up the speed and drop it in in one shot, go too slow and you overcompensate the steering and lose the direction of the trailer. happens everytime, pisses me off as much as the guy waiting to back up, then its his turn, then gets the boat in, then loads the boat, then puts the life jacket on the kids while everyone waits to back down the ramp
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    edited April 2017

Just the opposite here in Kansas.  Women around here like "bright, clean, and flashy" vehicles.  Means the guy has an oil well...or two.

I used 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish to get this look on my wife's car, (with my 9" DeWalt orbital).  She won't drive a dirty car, and sprays the tires with treatment weekly.

women here like guys that buy them those bright clean and flashy vehicles =) i dont think they care what you drive as long as your buying them the new car ;)
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

I've backed more miles than you've driven forward.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    It's that time of year when many of us are beginning to free our four-wheeled beasts (and for some of us, two-wheeled) from their winter slumber. 

Personally, I like to wash and wax frequently over the summer months to keep my car looking her best. The jet black finish is not very forgiving and does not allow for much soiling.

I have tried a wide variety of products, but have found that an economical solution resulting in a long lasting shine can be achieved with only a reasonable amount of effort by layering a coating of Nu Finish polish underneath a layer of Meguiars Ultimate synthetic paste wax. To my eyes, the car is left looking like it's dripping and remains that way for a good long while. Using this combo on the rims also yields good results. The only drawback of this approach is that the NuFinish will absolutely cling to any rubber or plastic trim, so you really have to use caution upon application.

Of course, a periodic clay barring and/or application of carnauba wax is also sometimes in order. Tire shine can also be a nice touch - it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine - but can also end up coating the fenders a little.

What products and processes do you use to keep your car looking its best?
    a white eraser will get that off the trim

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    tz666 said:
    It's that time of year when many of us are beginning to free our four-wheeled beasts (and for some of us, two-wheeled) from their winter slumber. 

Personally, I like to wash and wax frequently over the summer months to keep my car looking her best. The jet black finish is not very forgiving and does not allow for much soiling.

I have tried a wide variety of products, but have found that an economical solution resulting in a long lasting shine can be achieved with only a reasonable amount of effort by layering a coating of Nu Finish polish underneath a layer of Meguiars Ultimate synthetic paste wax. To my eyes, the car is left looking like it's dripping and remains that way for a good long while. Using this combo on the rims also yields good results. The only drawback of this approach is that the NuFinish will absolutely cling to any rubber or plastic trim, so you really have to use caution upon application.

Of course, a periodic clay barring and/or application of carnauba wax is also sometimes in order. Tire shine can also be a nice touch - it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine - but can also end up coating the fenders a little.

What products and processes do you use to keep your car looking its best?
    a white eraser will get that off the trim
    http://www.quill.com/staedtler-mars-plastic-erasers-4-pack/cbs/51138800.html?hidedisruptive=1&cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_NULL_51138800&mcode=SEM_PLA_NULL_51138800&gclid=CNGvhs2HxdMCFQcOaQodzcoAtQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

• fishlessman
    that new truck look =)  nice and shiny
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    Just don't roll it fish.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    Just don't roll it fish.
    i would have been decapitated in this thing. 3 cars have been totaled bouncing off the back bumper though, still using the original rear bumper =) hardly a scratch on it
    fukahwee maine