Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken rub

I've been using Holland Grill Carolina Seasoning for a couple of years almost exclusively for chicken cooks.   It's not easy to find around here though.   I've read Yardbird is a good one, what are some other pretty solid rubs for chicken?   Nothing with any noticeable kick/spice since chicken is definitely one of the kid-friendly meals around here.
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• I like Yardbird.  But I also have bought the sample pack from Oakridge BBQ and found their rubs to be good.  Also, we have Southern Links BBQ who posts on this site.  We could show him some support.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Yardbird is my go to, with Montreal chicken as a close second 

Phoenix 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    This is my go to for all poultry... you can buy smaller volume if you'd like too, but I'd recommend just getting the 10# - you'll like it!

http://johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/product/papa-charlies-greek-rub-sesoning-10-lbs/
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    John henry rubs are solid. Papa Charlie's is great as is pacific oriental rub. 

Yardbird has kick, so prolly not what you are specifically looking for. I would also recommend dizzy pigs raging river. RR is a real gem. Good luck. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    blasting said:

Yardbird is my go to, with Montreal chicken as a close second 

Montreal chicken is cheap and not too spicy. Just made some chicken thighs with it tonight for dinner, kids ate it up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thanks guys.   I have Raging River but wife hasn't been too crazy about that one for some reason.   I have a John Henry's for brisket so will check into that one for poultry as well.   Love this Carolina Seasoning and can still get it when the need arises, just takes more effort than I care to put into it.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    This is not one of the craft brands, but it has been great on chicken.  First time I used it was after I ran out of the Dizzy Pig and found it in the cabinet.....

http://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/herbs-and-spices/blends/perfect-pinch-salt-free-garlic-herb-seasoning

• Use a rub with low sodium for poultry so you can brine first and get a really juicy final product. 
  • I won't argue against any of the others listed, but I will say that Mickey's Coffee Rub (a quick search should provide recipe) is great on chicken and especially turkey. It is not barbecuey -- nor is it spicy hot or taste like coffee -- it is just delicious. It's also my go-to for rack of pork.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Wilma likes Old Bay on chicken.
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I like Oakridge but Weber chicken n rib seasoning is good and I can get local at Walmart or Lowe's usually. 
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96

I had to get a second Lg BGE to do enough wings for the whole family. I was introduced to the Weber Chicken and Ribs by a neighbor. I put a heavy dusting on dry about 30 minutes before I put them on. I dust with Cavanders Greek seasoning once on the cook. Once again at the flip.

350 raised direct with a drip pan ( some call that indirect) a total of 60 minutes, flipping every 20. I can't get anyone to go to Buffalo's anymore.

Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • Meat Church Honey Hog for sure.  The kiddos love it.  So do the adultos.  It's been a total go-to for a while around our place.  

https://www.meatchurch.com/products/honey-hog-meat-rub 

Honey Hog BBQ Rub
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Aunt Cora's Soulful Seasoning  ... it's crazy good on chicken.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Honey Hog is good as well as John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler, our go to for chicken.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    We like to use Lawry's perfect blend for chicken to switch things up from dizzy pig and meat church. You can get a very large shaker at Sam's for $7
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    gbvinla said:

I had to get a second Lg BGE to do enough wings for the whole family. I was introduced to the Weber Chicken and Ribs by a neighbor. I put a heavy dusting on dry about 30 minutes before I put them on. I dust with Cavanders Greek seasoning once on the cook. Once again at the flip.

350 raised direct with a drip pan ( some call that indirect) a total of 60 minutes, flipping every 20. I can't get anyone to go to Buffalo's anymore.

Do you set the drip pan right on the lump?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    In case you would like to see it.

Coffee Rub         (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from  MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup  Instant Expresso Ground coffee  and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.