Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your go-to rub?

Options
13»

Comments

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    I typically like making my own rubs, as it's cheaper and I can control the salt content. I'm also 5 minutes from a Colonel De's spice shop.  :)

Steak - S, P, Cayenne, Garlic Powder (actual powder, not fine granules)
    Brisket - Meatheads Big Bad Beef Rub
    Pork - Smokin Hoggz or DP
    Chicken - Simon & Garfunkel
    Salmon - a recipe I found off a cedar plank wrapper

Should probably branch out more, but everyone seems very happy with the above, including SWMBO, which is the most important.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Blues Hog
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    LDR said:

Woody's Bar-B-Q Dry Rub, especially since it's a product from my home state.  It doesn't hurt that Sam's Club sells 22 ounces of it for under seven bucks.  I do mix it 50/50 with garlic powder occasionally. 

Is that the one made in waldenburg?

Yes, it is.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    My Salmon always gets Raging River ... Always.  My steaks tend to get a rub with salt and high on pepper.  Everything else depends on which mood I am in.  If I want spicy I usually go with Swamp Venom, Ghost Dust, Bayouish, or Southern Links Jalapeno Ranch.  If I want asian I go with Tsunami Spin.  As a general tasty rub when I am no particular mood, I go with Aunt Cora's Soul Food rub.  Any kind of boiled seafood or low country boil gets Old Bay Extra Spicy version.  I used Pineapple Head on fruit and sometimes even in yogurt.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Forgot Southern Soul Dust from Southern Soul BBQ. Good stuff.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    camofreak said:
    That's good stuff!  Not sure if it's better on feral hogs or store bought.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A new favorite steak rub courtesy of Prescott's BBQ Shop's schwag bag from last year's fest.  Char Crust Original Hickory on steaks.  Kick myself for not trying it sooner, guess it's been around a while, from a family operation at a steakhouse in the Shy.  Garlic Peppercorn is up next.  SV, dry, dredge, sear....friggin' awesome crust and tender, juicy texture.  Will spin a bird with this rub at some point.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Damn @Focker that looks amazing! 

So after posting this thread, @WeberWho was kind enough to send me his favorite rub to try out. What a guy huh?!? Passed the wet finger test, and will go on some burgers tonight for shits and giggles. A debt is owed Vincent!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

So after posting this thread, @WeberWho was kind enough to send me his favorite rub to try out. What a guy huh?!? Passed the wet finger test, and will go on some burgers tonight for shits and giggles. A debt is owed Vincent!
    Based on this, I'm gong to post a "what's your go to car?" Thread. I have a 15 yr old after all. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    You wife and daughter at the GA Eggfest.....................

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    camofreak said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    My favorite go-to lately for pork and chicken has been Willie's Hog Dust outta Sumter, SC. Good stuff. I found it at the Bilo in Chapin, SC. Looks like they've made it pretty big lately though and offer numerous products. All I've tried is their rub though. 
    I think I may give that one a try since it's kind of local to me. What is Bi-Lo charging for it? 
    Can't remember exactly. Maybe 4 or 5 bucks?It makes for a tasty bark on pulled pork and ribs. 
    Did I mention that there Bloody Mary Mix is not good? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • AintEZbeingme
    AintEZbeingme Posts: 177
    Options
    chicken - plowboys
    pork - buttrub or bone sucking rub
    beef - s&p( may drop on some montreal)
    veggies - equal parts soulfood season,black pepper, onion salt, garlic salt
    pork n beans -  JohnBoy & Billy pnb seasoning(good stuff)
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Focker said:
    A new favorite steak rub courtesy of Prescott's BBQ Shop's schwag bag from last year's fest.  Char Crust Original Hickory on steaks.  Kick myself for not trying it sooner, guess it's been around a while, from a family operation at a steakhouse in the Shy.  Garlic Peppercorn is up next.  SV, dry, dredge, sear....friggin' awesome crust and tender, juicy texture.  Will spin a bird with this rub at some point.   

So tell me about the pineapple. What did you do? The steak, onion, pineapple - all looks delicious.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Focker said:

So tell me about the pineapple. What did you do? The steak, onion, pineapple - all looks delicious.
    Thank you my friend.
    I used a rif of Malcolm Reed's Fireball Pineapples.  Sub'd JD Fire for the ultra sweet Fireball, went a little lower on temp, 400 instead of 450, to cut down on the burning.
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/11/fireball-pineapple/

Saw Rick B toss an onion into a fire during his poc chuc episode.  This simple dish has been on my list, looked bright and wonderful, when I saw him prepare it.
    http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/tangy-yucatecan-grilled-pork-with-roasted-onions-and-fresh-garnishes/

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Based on this, I'm gong to post a "what's your go to car?" Thread. I have a 15 yr old after all. 
    Oh great.  As if your fridge post wasn't good enough.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • thetrim
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwLdWLhqXCc

Here's a video from Skip's brother.   
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Buckeye79
    Buckeye79 Posts: 46
    Options
    Great thread.

Brisket = Oakridge's Black Ops
    Wings = Swamp Venom/Habanero Death Dust/Crucible
    Burgers/Steaks = Holy Cow/Black Ops/Cow Lick
    Pork & Chicken = Used a ton haven't landed on a favorite

I need to find some of the Plow Boys Yard Bird. Sounds like it is a hit with a large number of you. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Buckeye79 yeah you'll love the yardbird. Try the carnivore black too. Based on your selection I think you'll like it. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Strawberrys is a good rub we get around here

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    thetrim said:

Thanks for digging that up trim, good stuff, love that grill.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• thetrim
    Options
    Focker said:
    thetrim said:

That grill is pretty solid. Kalamazoo.  I met a guy in line at a nice butcher shop in Naples who mentioned his egg and went on to talk about the Kalamazoo he also has.   After looking it up, it is pretty sweet and, alas, a bit outside my price range.   
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Focker said:
    thetrim said:

That grill is pretty solid. Kalamazoo.  I met a guy in line at a nice butcher shop in Naples who mentioned his egg and went on to talk about the Kalamazoo he also has.   After looking it up, it is pretty sweet and, alas, a bit outside my price range.   
    Never heard of them.
    WOW, 20Gs or so for the Hybrid Fire!!!!!!!

He is rockin' an XL on more recent episodes.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Focker said:
    thetrim said:

A bit? Heh.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Surprised SGH hasnt stopped by to say something about rubbing your anus. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL