Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone Question

Options
So I just purchased my first BGE  6 weeks ago and love it, kicking my self in the a$$ for not taking the plunge a couple of years ago.  When I bought the BGE my 14 yr old gas grill went to the curb (it was dead and needed another rebuild but not worth it, the Weber kettle was put away for tailgates and camping, and I sold my traditional off set firebox smoker.

As much as I love my BGE I do miss the gas grill for the weeknights when I want to throw a couple chicken breasts or burgers on real quick. After spending time on the forum you guys got me thinking about the Blackstone Griddle.  I love cooking on a flattop!  I wanted to know has anyone tried the Grill Box that Blackstone makes that looks like it gives you the option of removing the griddle and cooking on an open flame.  Would love hear some any thoughts and feedback.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,430
    Options
    I have a 36" blackstone.  I would not even consider grilling on it with the grill box.  I don't want all that crud and mess falling into the burners and underneath.  I think it is asking for problems.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Just a thought.  If you always cook with a full load of lump, you should have plenty left over for weekday cooks without waiting for good smoke.  If you can do this, you're up and running in about the same time as the gasser you're missing.  Light up with a weed burner and you're extra quick.  

btw, I highly recommend the Blackstone, but also wouldn't mess with the grill box.
    Phoenix 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Blackstone is versatile.... I only have the griddle and would not consider a grill box.... here is my last night quickie filet on the BS

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Blackstone is versatile.... I only have the griddle and would not consider a grill box.... here is my last night quickie filet on the BS

OK now you're just showing off!!

Lol!
    Nicely done sir. =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Are you referring to the grillbox on the Blackstone Tailgater or the grill accessory for the 36"?

I have both. 
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    FWIW, the Camp Chef griddle IS a grill with a removable flat top. I just got one and have not used the grill part. I likely will for the very quick things I want grilled. You just lift off the griddle-easy peasy.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I have a 36 Blackstone. I use it more than my Egg. 

Bacon, sausages, pancakes, eggs, hash browns, all kinds of sandwiches, Mexican, Asian, chicken, burgers, sautéed mushrooms/onions/ peppers, fish...

If you need an excuse, we cut our cleaning in about 1/3 because we rarely have dirty skillets. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I have a 36 Blackstone. I use it more than my Egg. 

Bacon, sausages, pancakes, eggs, hash browns, all kinds of sandwiches, Mexican, Asian, chicken, burgers, sautéed mushrooms/onions/ peppers, fish...

If you need an excuse, we cut our cleaning in about 1/3 because we rarely have dirty skillets. 
    That is why my wife likes the BS.... no mess and cleanup in the kitchen.... and the food is fantastic 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Someone mention this above and I will second the idea that if you have enough used lump in the BGE you can usually get that up to temp pretty quick for mid-week cooks. Also, I use Rockwood the vast majority of the time, but for quick grilling you might try Char-Broil Center Cut, which is ready to cook on pretty fast right out of the box.
    Stillwater, MN