Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Silence of the Clams

Options

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    This is why we do it!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Mighty nice cook!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    That is so impressive!  Your family is very lucky!  Looks like a fantastic time
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Man this is great in so many ways. That picture with grandma is absolutely pricelsss. Bravo. 
    Snellville, GA

• Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    Best looking paella I've seen!!  Bravo.  What a beautiful backdrop for cooking outside.
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Your pics are so beautiful, they should be in a magazine.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Really enjoyed this, agree with all the above responses - nicely done sir!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Nothing much more I can say that hasn't been said, but you sure gave your family a memorable Good Friday. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Fantastic cook in gorgeous country.

You win Easter weekend!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Outstanding.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,470
    Options
    Fantastic pics, @SciAggie!!  Looks like a great feast!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Wow, without question one of the 10 best looking cooks I have ever seen posted on here.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Wow... just outstanding to be able to share family time with a spectacular cook.... you outdid yourself brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    man you  should give lessons. That was a great looking cook.

I need to find a recipe for paella and give that a try. Love that grill thing you were using. Home made or store bought?

That's not what I thought Texas looked like. Its beautiful.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SciAggie
    Options

I need to find a recipe for paella and give that a try. Love that grill thing you were using. Home made or store bought?

Brother if you pay attention to the cook paella is far easier than it seems. Look at the information here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm
    get a 12-ish inch pan that fits the egg. After 2-3 cooks you can fly by the seat of your pants. As far as the grill, it's home made - inspired by Francis Mallman (see him on Netflix).
    Rockdale is in the Texas hill country. When we get rain like we have had this spring it is indeed beautiful. My MIL's place has oak and hickory trees. Useless trivia - the "rock" of Rockdale name - is on this place. It was a landmark for the area just like the "round rock" in Round Rock near Austin. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    What a fantastic setup and cook!  Thanks for sharing it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This by far one of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time.  Well done sir!
    This. Love this at so many levels.. the setting, family, presentation, and not least of all the paella! Bravo!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @saluki2007 @caliking Thank you both for such kind remarks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Brother if you pay attention to the cook paella is far easier than it seems. Look at the information here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm
    get a 12-ish inch pan that fits the egg. After 2-3 cooks you can fly by the seat of your pants. As far as the grill, it's home made - inspired by Francis Mallman (see him on Netflix).
    Rockdale is in the Texas hill country. When we get rain like we have had this spring it is indeed beautiful. My MIL's place has oak and hickory trees. Useless trivia - the "rock" of Rockdale name - is on this place. It was a landmark for the area just like the "round rock" in Round Rock near Austin. 
    You have inspired me my friend to give this a try. That article on The NakedWhiz was pretty thorough so I have the information I need.

I like that the recipe has scallops in it.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SciAggie said:

I watched the Mallman episode, you've got him beat no question.  I'd rather be your guest than his 100 times out of 100.   Great post, thanks for sharing! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • aljoseph
    aljoseph Posts: 15
    Options
    Dang, I did not hear my phone ring or else I'd have been there in a flash. That paella looks really great. BTW, what size pan are you using?
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful! But I'm sorry, every time I see this thread title, I can't help but wonder whether or not your crazy uncle was invited... :rofl:
    Related image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Beautiful! I made paella for the family the day before my daughter went to Spain. She had it a couple times there and now I am looking for a paella pan to make it more often. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Carolina Q There is a short story about the title. My daughter asked if the mussels were alive. Of course my son told her yes - then she realized we would be cooking them while still alive. My son asked if she could hear them scream... I thought of the spring lambs and made the pun related to the movie. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Great looking cook and great family memories.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • FatTrout
    FatTrout Posts: 23
    Options
    This has got to be one of the best posts I've seen. Just a beautiful cook and a really great story. Do you folks adopt?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen 38 likes in a post. Rightfully earned in every aspect! Picture perfect 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota