Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting up my Egg with hot embers from wood stove ??

Options
Being only an Egger for 4months now I have a question about lighting methods for getting the egg going I started with the egg starter and used either one or lately mostly two squares but decided the other day to get some instant heat instead.
Worked great for me, took one or two shovels of hot lump out of my wood stove and made a bare spot in the existing lump in the center of the egg and dumped it and covered with cold lump.
Really liked the way the egg got kickstarted. Figured the cast iron grate can take the shock but think should keep the hot stuff away from the ceramics outside to gradually let it come to temperatures.

you guys got any concerns about lighting my egg this way?
Appreciate the feedback 

MMx, my not so large BGE
Genesis E330 gasser 
WiFi ANOVA SV
Halifax, Canada

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I routinely light a chimney full of lump and throw it into the egg. Works great. This seems pretty analogous. 

I'd be more worried about carrying embers through my house and missing a small piece landing on the floor unnoticed.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Only caution in transfer process.  Probably no need to create a well and cover the hot coals.  Just put on top.  If doing a L&S only use one hot chunk.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Cmyachtie said:

Appreciate the feedback 

Not a problem for the egg.  My concern is what happens to the hot burning chunk of wood you drop and don't notice it slide under something flammable. Just seems like there are many safer ways to light the egg. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I added a high que grate to my last egg, made me appreciate the efficiency compared to OEM CI.  Someone recently posted a winter clearance for the large egg.  Worth every bit of a Jackson.

I use a Craftsman flat transfer shovel for embers at home.  No worries.
    http://m.sears.com/craftsman-long-handle-square-point-shovel/p-07183529000P
    The naysayers have never done it before, ignore, move on.  Common sense applies here, seems like you have a nonflammable surface.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    Cmyachtie said:

Appreciate the feedback 

Not a problem for the egg.  My concern is what happens to the hot burning chunk of wood you drop and don't notice it slide under something flammable. Just seems like there are many safer ways to light the egg. 
    Using a metal ash bucket and welding gloves carrying it out to the egg, seems safe to me.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,770
    Options
    I do it all winter when I have a fire pit burning outside 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I melt through at least one pair of flip flops per year doing this exact process.

Lighting one cooker with coals from another is standard practice I'd say.  

Phoenix 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    No comment.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Cmyachtie
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy...LOL

AND will be careful to not trip over the dog or something else walking thru the house with hot bucketful.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Cmyachtie said:
    Cmyachtie said:

Appreciate the feedback 

Using a metal ash bucket and welding gloves carrying it out to the egg, seems safe to me.
    Yes it is safer than other ways to transport hot embers through your house. It is still more dangerous than starting fresh outside.  You have to make your assessment of the dangers and determine if the additional risks are worth it.  I don't really see much benefit in doing it so the additional risk is something I don't think is worth accepting.  It appears to be a time saver, however, you need to spend time collecting the embers from the wood stove and making sure you have not left any behind on the floor etc.  The ceramics in the egg still will take time to warm up, so the time savings will not be great.  Using a torch will get a fire started pretty quick.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    used to from the wood stove at camp and from the coal stove at home. presoaked paper towel is faster and just as easy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I often pull lava from Mt Etna to start my MM :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Being in Florida. I don't often have a fire inside so this wouldn't work for me.

Sounds like a great way to start the fire in the egg but as pointed out by others there are some risks involved with carrying hot coals through your house. If you mitigate those risks and are comfortable with the process then by all means do it.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• fishlessman
    Options
    Being in Florida. I don't often have a fire inside so this wouldn't work for me.

Sounds like a great way to start the fire in the egg but as pointed out by others there are some risks involved with carrying hot coals through your house. If you mitigate those risks and are comfortable with the process then by all means do it.
    its no more dangerous than just loading a stove with logs or coal from a bucket, i get things popping several feet out of the stove just filling it. i would also bet that most that run stoves regularly have an extinguisher nearby ready for use. mines within 5 feet of both wood and coal stove, not stored in a closet or garage out of site and forgotten about

fukahwee maine

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

its no more dangerous than just loading a stove with logs or coal from a bucket, i get things popping several feet out of the stove just filling it. i would also bet that most that run stoves regularly have an extinguisher nearby ready for use. mines within 5 feet of both wood and coal stove, not stored in a closet or garage out of site and forgotten about

I agree. I'll bet the OP is fully aware of the dangers and as such he is capable of making his decision concerning the risks.

However. loading the stove from a bucket is not quite the same thing as walking through your house and tripping with a bucket load of coals intended for your egg.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• fishlessman
    Options

I agree. I'll bet the OP is fully aware of the dangers and as such he is capable of making his decision concerning the risks.

However. loading the stove from a bucket is not quite the same thing as walking through your house and tripping with a bucket load of coals intended for your egg.

if you never loaded a 40 pound bucket of nut coal into a coal stove in a wooded floored living room you might not know, i probably have 30 to 40 burn spots out quite a distance from the stove ;) the cold sometimes damp/wet coal explodes the red hot chunk and sends it flying. i dont see the burn spots infront of the wood stove, the shag carpeting hides it =) still i usually just use the papertowel , i presoak a years worth, super easy
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Focker: Does the High Que make it harder to maintain lower temperatures? How is it more efficient? Does the lump not just burn hotter and therefore faster? Thanks.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    @Focker: Does the High Que make it harder to maintain lower temperatures? How is it more efficient? Does the lump not just burn hotter and therefore faster? Thanks.
    No, but it does heat up much faster, best to catch temps on the way up.

I cannot tell if it burns through more lump.
    Going from OEM CI to the HQ is a huge airflow upgrade.  I've had two overnight fires snuff with the CI, luckily I caught them in time.

No need to stir, clear holes with the HQ.
    You do have to be a little gentler when stirring and then adding fresh lump for each cook

BGE should make them OEM IMO.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Jacksonville FL
  • Cmyachtie
    Options
    Reading all comments makes me second guess myself about the safety aspect....I guess will be more careful with this method and only use it when weather is really **** here like the past 5 months.....

Some days I want use the egg and not stay there much with it......
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Focker said:
    No, but it does heat up much faster, best to catch temps on the way up.

I cannot tell if it burns through more lump.
    Going from OEM CI to the HQ is a huge airflow upgrade.  I've had two overnight fires snuff with the CI, luckily I caught them in time.

No need to stir, clear holes with the HQ.
    You do have to be a little gentler when stirring and then adding fresh lump for each cook

BGE should make them OEM IMO.

@Focker: Thanks.