Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band design for the large BGE

Comments

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Bentgrass said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Question for the people who've already received the new band. I see this is being shipped via Fed Ex, the last thing delivered to me via Fed Ex needed a signature by a person who actually lived in my home or they won't leave it.

In my case, I had to go retrieve my package (hassle) at the local Fed Ex place.

I am curious as to your experiences? Tim
    Did not have to sign when mine came.
    Same here
    O-Town, FL

• flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    What's the part number for the new large green egg bands, and where can you buy them?  Any idea about cost?  Thanks!
    Auburn, Alabama
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    Large EGG – 117984.

Contact your dealer or BGE Retail here:
    Retail Sales Center:
    3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway Atlanta, GA 30340 
    Hours: Monday through Saturday, 9:30am to 5:30pm
    Closed on Holidays
    404.EGG.HEAD
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Arrived today. Did not have to sign.  
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • 1voyager
    Much simpler  installation than with the old bands. Only downside is that the old shelves don't fit the new bands. I can live with that. 

I know, I know. I need to sand and stain the deck. I would have done it last week but there was over a foot of snow covering it.  =)
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Just so I fully understand, the BGE table mates no longer work/fit the new bands?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    My new band and hinge kit was delivered and installed today.  Amazing design, much easier to open close, better weight distribution, wooden handle vs my plastic handle, and my table mates fit perfectly.  So happy.  

South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • SoCalTim
    @FaceDance , thanks for the pictures. Question, can this install be a 'one man' job?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • 1voyager
    SoCalTim said:
    Just so I fully understand, the BGE table mates no longer work/fit the new bands?
    The ones I have don't fit. 
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    It was about a 45 minute job for one man.  But that one man was not me.  I gladly paid my local dealer $45 to install.  Didn't look too difficult. 
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • SoCalTim
    FaceDance said:
    It was about a 45 minute job for one man.  But that one man was not me.  I gladly paid my local dealer $45 to install.  Didn't look too difficult. 
    Thanks!
  • BGE1983
    BGE1983 Posts: 12
    I've had both the large and now I have an XL. The band on the large had a huge under bite. The absolute reason I got the XL. Glad they are fixing the design. I have a buddy who just ordered one for his. We have replace three gaskets in a year on his so this will be awesome. Replaced my band on the XL the other day and it was prob the easiest replacement I've ever had. The dome not being lined up after a replace is why I always delayed charging them. Thanks for the info
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    edited April 2017
    SoCalTim said:
    @FaceDance , thanks for the pictures. Question, can this install be a 'one man' job?
    Absolutely, once you muddle thru BGE's great instruction manual should only take 30 min or so. 
    O-Town, FL

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Called Bruce, sent pics, received yesterday and installed. 

I like it. It does open differently. More of a backwards movement than up and down. The handle extensions are slightly longer too. 

As as long as it fixes the alignment issue I'm good. 
    VA Beach
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    About time been dealing with slipping bands for years.Anyone know if it's available in Canada yet? 
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    This is cool. Mines been off since I assembled it 3 years ago. Not sure mines off enough for a warranty claim, but I'm game either way. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    I'm just going to buy it...not worth my time to try and get a warranty.
  • SoCalTim
    I'm just going to buy it...not worth my time to try and get a warranty.
    That's what i did, even thou i won it in a contest and registered, BGE couldn't find my records so I just paid the $$. No worries.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Mine's had an under bite since day one. What is the number to contact Bruce to see if mine qualifies for a warranty replacement?
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SoCalTim
    Mine's had an under bite since day one. What is the number to contact Bruce to see if mine qualifies for a warranty replacement?
    The # is posted higher up on this thread. Warranty's seem pretty smooth.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Thank you!! I must have overlooked it.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Miked125 said:
    my bands always shift on any heat cook, would this be an eligible claim? 
    FWIW...I emailed Bruce@biggreenegg.com a while back about my Large having the dreaded over bite (under bite?), after trading several emails with him he asked for my address...he sent me a band assembly...and a new gasket...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Is this the lip and flaw that should be replaced. I notice some bolts are bent and I do remember attempting the washer truck to try and fix . I finally said screw it and lived with it.

Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited April 2017
    Test... looks like I forgot or the method to insert pic into the post (not have it as an item to click) has changed... anyone heads up? 
    Seattle, WA
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Just installed mine. Fixed the under bite issue. 

Only thing I don't like is the lid will still close with some force. It's easy to open, but when the lid is open the springs are very very loose and just hang there, I think they need to be a little shorter myself, as they don't even need to be stretched to fit in the holes. 

That said, I like it. Looks better and functions better so far. 

Should have replaced my gasket too! It's toast and jacked up from the alignment issues and I can almost see thru it in spots now that the new band has everything lined up well. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Just picked min replacement bands up from the dealer today. Handled under warranty. I guess I have a project to do sometime in the next few days. 

Next, I'll need to deal with replacing my gasket.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• I sent another email to my vendor trying to get a warranty claim. May have to contact the mother ship. Am I wrong in thinking this is warped?
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• SoCalTim
    FATC1TY said:

Only thing I don't like is the lid will still close with some force. It's easy to open, but when the lid is open the springs are very very loose and just hang there, I think they need to be a little shorter myself, as they don't even need to be stretched to fit in the holes. 

Should have replaced my gasket too! It's toast and jacked up from the alignment issues and I can almost see thru it in spots now that the new band has everything lined up well. 
    I also could see daylight after my installation. To solve this, I loosened the lower band and gently hit down on the top dome. Had to do this process a couple times to get it perfect. 
  • BryanLyle
    BryanLyle Posts: 40
    FATC1TY said:

Mine were loose too until I realized that the directions show that the tip on the lid spring should face towards the lid and not away. It took a little bit of effort to twist the spring but once I did they are no longer loose when open. 

Hoping I read the directions correctly. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    SoCalTim said:
    FATC1TY said:

I also could see daylight after my installation. To solve this, I loosened the lower band and gently hit down on the top dome. Had to do this process a couple times to get it perfect. 
    I replaced the lower gasket and it's sealed tight. Didn't want to mess with the alignment as I took my time and it looks good all the way around. Bands are very even. Much easier to install than the old bands and hinge. Improvement. 

Will warm folk tho- if you use some high rigs- you may struggle to reach far back in the dome when open. It's more shallow to open. 

Tightened the bolts a little and reduced the side to side slop as well. Still getting it all set but, again- much much better. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax