Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storage of grates

Options
I have several grates and am looking for ideas on how to store them to protect them from the elements and keep them handy for use.  I'd appreciate you sharing any solutions you have come up with. 
Calhoun, GA - LBGE

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    All of my grates get stored, in the grill.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Grates in the grill, never come out, spare or extra cooking grids in the other kamado or the old gasser.I do have an outdoor cupboard and there is room to store a grid or two in it, however due to the cooking mung and bits of crap and baked on gunk on the grid, storing in the gasser is the preferred option. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

If they are Stainless Steel, they get stored on the shelves or racks of the egg or the table.  Ones that are not stainless get to come inside once they cool down. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    I have the grate that came with a large, cast iron grate, adjustable rig with several grates, spider, stone, half stone, half grates, etc.  Too many to fit into the egg and store, plus I need some place to keep them while doing a cook or the grill is cooling off.  So, I'm really looking for ideas on storage outside of the egg.
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    This might help.....  I am planning on a covered table so I can have some shade on my southern-exposure deck.  The legs that go overhead will be steel poles that attach to a pergola-type structure.  I plan on having hooks or something similar that I can hand those hot grates on.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I use a simple deck box to store extra grids along with wood chips/chunks, bbq tools, etc. They work okay but deck boxes aren't that easy to organize. Basically if I am looking for something on the bottom you have to drag everything out to find it. I was thinking I might get something like this sometime:
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17157016

You can add shelves and hooks. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I use a plastic wreath storage box that I got on clearance at target.  Large round shape is pretty conducive for grate storage.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Plastic deck box.  It's not neat or organized but everything gets thrown in there and for 20 bucks it was hard to beat.  My gas grill also is a secondary storage container for my egg
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Reasons to own a Weber Genesis Gas Grill!!! :)  (all of my grates and extras for the eggs are store there!)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM