Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Metal top stuck to egg

Options
SixHoToGo
SixHoToGo Posts: 1
edited August 2012 in Using the Egg
I got in the habit of keeping the metal top on the Egg, and now I can't lift it off by hand.  I'd like to take it off, particularly when I'm trying to get the temp way up for steaks, but I've been reluctant to try to force it for fear of hurting the top of my Egg.  Has anyone had this happen?  How can I get it off without hurting the Egg?  Thanks!

Comments

• SixHoToGo
    Options
    I got it off myself today. In case this happens to anyone else, I just lifted up the top of the egg and pushed it off from the inside. I was careful to push the main part of the top, which is slightly exposed from the inside hole, and not the wheel.
  • texbagger
    Options
    Mine did the same, I just tapped the side of the top of the daisy wheel sharply, and it popped loose.

Also the daisy wheel seems to stick in place on mine after hours of low and slow.  Same thing, just tap it, and it comes loose.  I have thouhgt about coating it with wd40 but the idea scares me, don't want meat to have the taste of the wd40 smell.

Tex
  • eino
    eino Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same experience. 
    A little vegetable oil from time to time might work. I'm new to the egg and haven't tried that idea yet.