Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket---Stuck at 193° and No Buttah

Options
I'm doing my first brisket ever, and I'm stuck at 193° IT, with a flat that isn't exactly buttah. It's a choice packer from Costco, roughly 10 pounds trimmed.  It's been on nearly 17 hours at this point, no foil, running naked the whole way through, Dalmatian rub and post oak for smoke, with a grate temp running between 225 and 245. I've stuck it with my ThermoPop to confirm the temps my remote thermostat is giving, and the flat is still tough.  

What do I do? See it through to 203° and buttah? Pull now, foil, rest, and pray that there's some juice left in it? Something else? 
Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
XLBGE, MiniMax BGE

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Sometimes you will get a second stall. I would
    foil and toss it back  on . your almost there
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    If you aren't pushed for time let it run till it probes the way you want it to. BUT, I have never cooked a brisket in my life so disregard the first line. I'm sure the pros will be by soon. 
    Snellville, GA

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Keep cooking you'll be glad you did 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    It's important to remember that every cow is different.
    Persevere and you'll be fine.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    At 225 and trying to get to 200-205 it takes a long time.  Bump temp to 275 for the finish. 
    What he said. Patience is key.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Foil it with a cup of black coffee for good measure and back on the egg. Get the temp up to 300 and push it thru. 17 hours is a loooong time for a 10 pounder, tho... 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    You have to be close,  I agree with above and bump the temp to 275 maybe a little more. It will help get through to the end.   Are you monitoring with a internal temp gauge while cooking?  If so when it gets close to 200 start checking it again.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Agree with bumping temp up
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Patience is the watch word.  As above, and once you get the feel in the thick part of the flat, don't worry about getting the entire hunk of protein releasing.  As long as the majority is there then give it around 15-20 mins on a cooling rack (stop the carry-over cooking) and then FTC for a couple of hours if you can.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danguba78
    danguba78 Posts: 92
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm using a remote thermometer for grate and internal temps, but spot checking with my more accurate ThermoPop. I've decided to follow the group's wisdom, push the temp to 275°, and wait it out. I'll post pics, one way or another. Thanks to all. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    All about the feel-that musta' been a line in some movie somewhere...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Sit rep? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • danguba78
    Options
    The point is probing like butter, but the flat still has some resistance. Flat running about 204 IT. I'm going to give it a little while longer and then rest it. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If you get 3/4 of it probing nice, consider it done. The thinnest part of the flat is sometimes sacrificial. Especially when not wrapping. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pull it. If it's 204
    its done. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • danguba78
    Options
    Pulled. In a foil pan, HD foil wrapped on top,and resting in an oven for a couple hours. 

Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • danguba78
    Options
    Well, it's done, it's dry, and I'll need to reassess for the next time. The flat is dry and chewy--my wife thinks it's good, reminds her of jerky. The point is not as dry, has some moisture, but it isn't oozing with juices like the pros' YouTube videos. I'd rather have a pot-roasty foiled texture than what I got. I see why brisket is not for amateurs. 

Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • danguba78
    Options
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I see the makings of a great batch of Chili. Get back on the horse and give it another try. I'd definitely foil it this time, but keep the temp low. The cup of coffee you add prior to sealing the foil will help keep things nice and moist.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    danguba78 said:
    Pulled. In a foil pan, HD foil wrapped on top,and resting in an oven for a couple hours. 

Was the oven on?  If so you didn't need to.  I find it better to FTC, wrap in foil, then in warm towels and place in a cooler.  When you want to serve it take it out of the foil an let it rest for at least 10 minutes or more.  If you put it in the oven next time too as low as you can on the temp setting and add some liquid of some kind, like coffee or beef broth.

I remember you said it was choice and they can have less fat, but it can be used in other things like chili.  Let it set in the fridge a day wrapped up then the it up to make chili.  That's some good chili then.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.